Amy Tan talks on creativity
Thread poster: Parrot

Parrot  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:58
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 25, 2008

Those of you who are interested in creative writing may profit from this rather amusing lecture-presentation by the bestselling author, Amy Tan:

Have a good weekend!

Direct link Reply with quote

ICL  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Creativity Jul 26, 2008

Hi Parrot,

I just watched this video and really enjoyed it, because creativity is one of the topics that have always interested me. I like how Amy Tan analyzed it with so much humor.

On the other hand, I have only read her book "Joy Luck Club" (and also watched the movie), so I can't really say I know her or her writing, but I do remember reading that she has this rather unusual sickness caused by a tick.

So I just checked her website and learned more about it, at , but I was again amused by her sense of humor about this, when she says that (upon looking for info. about her illness):

"I turned to the Internet, which is where doctors believe patients catch terminal illnesses, that is, whatever disease they see described before them on the terminal."

So thanks for sharing not only her video link, but the website link, which I did not know.

Have yourself a nice weekend, too,

Rebecca Lyne
French to English
+ ...
She is great! Jul 27, 2008

I saw Amy Tan speak at a book signing many years ago. She was great! I think everyone who was a novice writer in the room was truly inspired by her.

Thanks for sharing!

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:58
English to Greek
+ ...
Most entertaining Jul 27, 2008

Thanks, Parrot, I enjoyed that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Amy Tan talks on creativity

Advanced search

Translation news

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs