Mobile menu

Suggestions for introducing Werther and Steppenwolf?
Thread poster: Kim Metzger

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:16
German to English
May 23, 2003

I’ve been invited to participate in a project called “Escritores en su Idioma” – writers in their language - put on by the Guadalajara library society. The idea is for people (the cultural elite, according to the project director) to come and listen to literary texts being read in several different languages (Modern Greek, Italian, Polish, French, German and English). One language will be featured every month for several months. Most people in the audience will not know the languages – they are not expected to understand what’s being read to them, just to get a feeling for the sound of the language.

I’ll be reading the German texts and have chosen Hesse and Goethe, partly because they are two of the most widely known German authors in Mexico. And I’ll read from Goethe’s “Sorrows of Young Werther” and Hesse’s “Der Steppenwolf.” Before reading I’ll briefly introduce the authors.

It’s been a long time since I last read these two books and I haven’t yet done much research on the subject, but now that I’ve selected the two works, I’m struck by some of the similarities. In both cases the main character became a cult figure after publication. In both cases, the characters are drawn away from bourgeois life. These two books are very different in most respects, but I thought it would be interesting to point to some parallels

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to introduce these two novels?

[Edited at 2003-05-23 19:44]

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
Local time: 06:16
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
ad nauseum May 23, 2003

I have to admit that I\'ve never read Steppenwolf, however I have read W. ad nauseum so here\'s where I would start introducing that book:

- Parallels between Goethe and W. (was W. a self-portrait?)

- Famous scene where Lotte is cutting bread and butter

- One of the great works of German romantic literature (with brief discussion of what romatic literature involves)

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Einsamkeit // Anderssein May 23, 2003

Hallo Kim,

ich schreibe lieber auf Deutsch.

Ich denke, die beiden Punkte sind eine Gemeinsamkeit zwischen den beiden Figuren, von der Welt unverstanden, weil sie anders sind und dadurch einsam.

Viel Spaß

Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Vom Standpunkt der Rezeption May 24, 2003

Sie können beide Werke einführen, indem Sie ihre Rezeptionsgeschichte vergleichen. Beide lösten, nämlich, Selbstmordwellen aus.

[Edited at 2003-05-24 13:27]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for introducing Werther and Steppenwolf?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs