https://www.proz.com/forum/literature_poetry/118051-dumas_translations_for_frenchenglish_linguists.html

Off topic: Dumas Translations for French>English Linguists
Thread poster: D BANNON
D BANNON
D BANNON  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:56
Korean to English
+ ...
Oct 15, 2008

I'm eager to learn French>English linguists' opinions of the many translations of Dumas out there -- particularly the novels that have been translated numerous times. For French>English linguists, which English translations of Dumas are your favorites?

If you take a moment to list your favorite translations and it's hard to choose between them, please share why. For example, translations by scholars often err on the side of literalism, as perhaps they should; whereas popular tra
... See more
I'm eager to learn French>English linguists' opinions of the many translations of Dumas out there -- particularly the novels that have been translated numerous times. For French>English linguists, which English translations of Dumas are your favorites?

If you take a moment to list your favorite translations and it's hard to choose between them, please share why. For example, translations by scholars often err on the side of literalism, as perhaps they should; whereas popular translations sometimes capture the spirit of a work but may not be as rigorous and accurate. Perhaps Translator A of The Count of Monte Cristo reads close to Dumas, and you love it, but you'd chooose Translator B of the same novel for accuracy. I'm sure others would be interested.

Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dumas Translations for French>English Linguists

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »