English translation of Nikolai Gogol: Garnett or Pevear \ Volokhonsky?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:12
Spanish
+ ...
Jan 13, 2009

I'm torn between two editions of Gogol's complete tales. There's ' Complete Tales...' in two volumes by Constance Garnett, and also Pevear and Volokhonsky's 'Collected Tales...', although it doesn't include Taras Bulba.

The reviews I've found about the translations are very mixed. Some people claim that Garnett is more faithful to Gogol's literary style, some say that Pevear and Volokhonsky are. I'd prefer a faithful translation even if it's harder to read. For those who are familia
... See more
I'm torn between two editions of Gogol's complete tales. There's ' Complete Tales...' in two volumes by Constance Garnett, and also Pevear and Volokhonsky's 'Collected Tales...', although it doesn't include Taras Bulba.

The reviews I've found about the translations are very mixed. Some people claim that Garnett is more faithful to Gogol's literary style, some say that Pevear and Volokhonsky are. I'd prefer a faithful translation even if it's harder to read. For those who are familiar with these translators, which one would you recommend me?

Thanks.

Claudia
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 07:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
Garnett Jan 13, 2009

Garnett

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Garnett Jan 14, 2009

Stephen Franke wrote:

Garnett

Thank you Stephen. Any particular reason?

Alexandra Taggart
Alexandra Taggart  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:12
Russian to English
+ ...
You may enjoy both but differently Jan 14, 2009

I will tell the truth - I have not read it, but I've asked a friend who has. These are his comments: Garnett you will enjoy as a fresh salad, and Volokonsky-as a spicy dish.

SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
Claudia Alvis, Jan 15, 2009

quantity opinions == quantity humans;-) read both & will have own.

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 20, 2009

I guess that's what I'll do. I was hoping to find a definitive review about both versions; but if there is, I couldn't find it. I bought Garnett's translation; I'll get Pevear/Volokhonsky later.

Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English translation of Nikolai Gogol: Garnett or Pevear \ Volokhonsky?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »