Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Translating fiction : literature, comics.
Thread poster: OffMag
OffMag
OffMag  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:12
German to French
+ ...
Feb 9, 2009

I am a translator and subtitler (French-German-English). My favorite jobs require a creative mind. That's why I gladly accept to translate fiction, films, advertizement, books dealing with art, art history etc... if both parties can agree on a rate. Let's not forget, a creative translation requires skills that can't be measured by a CAT-tool or only by a word-count program and it deserves a rate that allows the translator to be creative. It's not just about accuracy. It's about ...

... See more
I am a translator and subtitler (French-German-English). My favorite jobs require a creative mind. That's why I gladly accept to translate fiction, films, advertizement, books dealing with art, art history etc... if both parties can agree on a rate. Let's not forget, a creative translation requires skills that can't be measured by a CAT-tool or only by a word-count program and it deserves a rate that allows the translator to be creative. It's not just about accuracy. It's about ...

Whole article with visual material:

http://www.leblogdelamirabelle.net/pages/Translation_of_fiction-1073085.html
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:12
German to English
+ ...
Wow. Feb 9, 2009

I had heard about the German Disney comics, but this was the first time I actually saw any examples. I've heard about the translator, however, for decades, but I really never thought anything good could be done with the useless English originals. Nothing was, really....

OffMag
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Classics Feb 9, 2009

Well, it was rewritten, only the general meaning was kept.
Instead of : "I'm really angry with you, Donald"
the German would say stuff like "Here is the winter of our discontent"

Carl Barks, who had probably no say, the comics being a property of the Walt Disney Company, but was asked nevertheless afterwards I think, was actually very pleased with the German version.

The French version is as dull as the original. This was a real translation : dull = dull.... See more
Well, it was rewritten, only the general meaning was kept.
Instead of : "I'm really angry with you, Donald"
the German would say stuff like "Here is the winter of our discontent"

Carl Barks, who had probably no say, the comics being a property of the Walt Disney Company, but was asked nevertheless afterwards I think, was actually very pleased with the German version.

The French version is as dull as the original. This was a real translation : dull = dull.

So sometimes it's better to go wild (but in Europe you better make sure the publisher AND the author are ok with it, especially in France where the author always retains the copyright : "droit d'auteur", the publisher getting something like a license and the translator creating a new copyright for his/her translation and also granting the publisher a license to use it).

[Edited at 2009-02-09 23:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-09 23:26 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:12
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Same in Finnish Feb 10, 2009

In Finland Donald Duck (Aku Ankka) became very popular right from the start about 1950 because the translators created their own version. I'm no expert in comics, never read it much, but Donald Duck has had much influence on its readers here in Finland. Mickey Mouse on the other hand never became very popular, this figure is just too colourless and dull, always on the winning side.
The Finnish version of the German Jerry Cotton series was another great success due to the creative effort of
... See more
In Finland Donald Duck (Aku Ankka) became very popular right from the start about 1950 because the translators created their own version. I'm no expert in comics, never read it much, but Donald Duck has had much influence on its readers here in Finland. Mickey Mouse on the other hand never became very popular, this figure is just too colourless and dull, always on the winning side.
The Finnish version of the German Jerry Cotton series was another great success due to the creative effort of the translators. In fact they never bothered about the German text but wrote the stories anew almost from scratch, with lots of humour (so I'm told, never read either German or Finnish JC).

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2009-02-10 10:28 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:12
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The creative effort of translators Feb 10, 2009

My all-time favorite: Asterix

OffMag
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finnland Feb 10, 2009

Hey thanks for the info !
Very interesting that other countries had the same approach!

Aribas (X)
Aribas (X)
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Nomen est.... Feb 10, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

It is interesting how the names of the characters got creatively translated / adapted (hmmm... transculturized?) in various cultures/languages, or even various editions/translations in the same language:

Panoramix: Getafix (English), Magigimmix (Am. Eng.), Aspiriniks (Serbian), Čudomix (Croatian), Omnipotentix (Latin), Miraculix (German), Abrakadabrix (Afrikaans)...;

Assurancetourix: Cacofonix (Br.Eng.), Malacoustix (Am.Eng.), Drmatoriks (Serbian), Tamburix (Croatian), Troubadix / Schimmihendrix (German), Cantorix / Armavirumquecanix (Latin)...;

Abraracourcix: Vitalstatistix (Br.Eng.), Macroeconomix (Am.Eng.), Drmatoriks (Serbian), Vrhovnix (Croatian), Majestix (German), Manumilitarix (Latin)....

My other cross-culture favourites are: Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:12
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Asterix Feb 10, 2009

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I'm a big Asterix fan too. Wow! Wouldn't it be fun (not to mention a challenge) to be commissioned to translate him! How to deal with all those punning names ending in "ix" - even including a character called "Assurancetousrix"?
Best wishes,
Jenny
P.S. I have occasionally had to translate the dialogue of a computer or X-Box type game - presumably to be voiced over by an actor. As I love that kind of game, I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge (not the bang! bang! you're dead sort of game, the ones where you try to solve a mystery, find your way through a fantastic landscape, that kind of thing).

OffMag
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Asterix and Video Games Feb 10, 2009

My father used to buy the German Asterix edition and the text was great. The names were hilarious in German too, like "Kurzschluss", "Haudraufundschluss"

I am working on a videogame too for kids !
It's really fun, I agree !

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Chapeau! Feb 10, 2009

In general, I'm not a comics fan. However, Asterix is the only one I ever read, in German (or in Latin as well). However, I must admit that I only tried to read Asterix in English two or three months ago for the first time - and was really fascinated. Now, I'm admiring the highly creative translators who do such jobs!

Annett

OffMag
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mangas Feb 11, 2009

A Japanese friend of mine translates mangas into French.
He says he always works with a French partner and that you have to cut loose of the original text.

Once I had to translate a song in "Victor, Victoria". That was fun !
On the stage :
"Das Land, wo Carmen ist zu Haus/ Ich muss hier raus" :
"Le pays où Carmen habite/ cette scène, il faut que je quitte"
or

"Diese Schlange hat mich versetzt" : "Ce serpent m'a posé un lapin !"
... See more
A Japanese friend of mine translates mangas into French.
He says he always works with a French partner and that you have to cut loose of the original text.

Once I had to translate a song in "Victor, Victoria". That was fun !
On the stage :
or

Film is discussed in my other thread if you are interested : http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/127193-my_approach_to_subtitling.html
Collapse

EuMC2 (X)
EuMC2 (X)

German versus French Feb 13, 2009

NathalieSchon wrote:

or

Obviously, we must always consider the flood of consonants in German

hoare-spitall
hoare-spitall
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Asterix in dialect. Feb 17, 2009

NathalieSchon wrote:

My father used to buy the German Asterix edition and the text was great. The names were hilarious in German too, like "Kurzschluss", "Haudraufundschluss"

Try the Asterix German translations in regional dialect. In Kölsch or Mosel-Fränkisch they take on a whole new dimension. "Wat er nit säht"

You have a very pleasing website. Well done.

[Edited at 2009-02-17 21:54 GMT]

hoare-spitall
hoare-spitall
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Asterix in dialect. Feb 17, 2009

NathalieSchon wrote:

Try the Asterix German translations in regional dialect. In Kölsch or Mosel-Fränkisch they take on a whole new dimension. "Wat er nit säht"

OffMag
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Saarländisch Feb 17, 2009

Thanks. I've tried Saarländisch.
That's the dialect I speak but I fel like trying other regional dialects!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating fiction : literature, comics.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »