https://www.proz.com/forum/literature_poetry/12961-announcement_%3A_haiku_contest.html

Off topic: Announcement : Haiku contest
Thread poster: NancyLynn
NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 07:16
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Jul 29, 2003

Hello everyone,
I tried to post this earlier but was unsuccessful.
By popular demand, tipping our hats to our colleagues in the French forum, we would like to announce a Haiku contest in the English language.
There is no prize, save the undying admiration of your peers
First we need three judges. Please apply for the post by e-mail. In a couple of days (I hope) when the judges are named the contest will begi
... See more
Hello everyone,
I tried to post this earlier but was unsuccessful.
By popular demand, tipping our hats to our colleagues in the French forum, we would like to announce a Haiku contest in the English language.
There is no prize, save the undying admiration of your peers
First we need three judges. Please apply for the post by e-mail. In a couple of days (I hope) when the judges are named the contest will begin.
Please note that judges cannot participate in the contest.
The contest will end August 31.
Ladies and Gentlemen, sharpen your pencils!!

Nancy
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great idea! Jul 29, 2003

It would be great if some expert could enlighten us about the haiku´s structure and traditions. Let´s sharpen our pencils!
Enrique

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 05:16
French to English
+ ...
GO Nancy!!! Jul 29, 2003

We tip our hats to the French forum (specifically Alain who had this great idea)

FORMS IN ENGLISH HAIKU
KEIKO IMAOKA
Japanese haiku have been traditionally composed in 5-7-5 syllables. When poets started writing English haiku in the 1950's, they adopted this 5-7-5 form, thinking it created a similar condition for English-language haiku. This style is what is generally considered "traditional" English haik
... See more
We tip our hats to the French forum (specifically Alain who had this great idea)

FORMS IN ENGLISH HAIKU
KEIKO IMAOKA
Japanese haiku have been traditionally composed in 5-7-5 syllables. When poets started writing English haiku in the 1950's, they adopted this 5-7-5 form, thinking it created a similar condition for English-language haiku. This style is what is generally considered "traditional" English haiku.

this description was taken from the following website - to know more

http://www.ahapoetry.com/keirule.htm
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Rita for the enlightenment Jul 29, 2003

Now all we need are judges!! Go judges!!
Nancy

nuvo
nuvo
Indonesia
Local time: 18:16
English to Indonesian
+ ...
I don't mind to be one of the judges Jul 29, 2003

I mean it, but I don't whether I am qualified. I rarely write haiku. Actually, I prefer to be the participant. Please contact me via [email protected]. Or, may be you can provide the link for the contest here.

Thanks.

Guy Bray
Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:16
French to English
Car Talk Haiku Jul 29, 2003

This is not an entry in your competition, but recommended reading for fans of the Car Guys:

http://cartalk.cars.com/features/haiku/

Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:16
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Spam haiku URL Jul 31, 2003

5 Not sure where this leads
7 But here's an old URL
5 For haiku on Spam
a subject in sci.language.translation that hooked Rüdiger and me in 96/97. It is incredible how many people have contributed over the years, perhaps because Haiku is covered in US schools(?)

http://www.spamhaiku.com/spamhaiku/site/

[Edited at 2003-07-31 19:35]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Haiku contest : Post your poems here Aug 13, 2003

This is the haiku thread, which will remain open for submissions until September 4 (perhaps the Labour Day Weekend will provide inspiration for some);-).
After this time, the judges will announce the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. The prize is accomplishment, a glowing happiness and the admiration of your peers.
Have fun!
Nancy

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
We have a judge! Aug 13, 2003

Hello my fellow poets,
Perhaps it's the weather, or perhaps you are all madly writing verses; in any case, I gather from the mail I've received publicly and privately that people generally wish to be participants. Judging is a difficult post to fill.
I had hoped for three judges, but with everyone's consent, and a desire to get the contest started, I propose that I become the second judge. We really need one more.

See more
Hello my fellow poets,
Perhaps it's the weather, or perhaps you are all madly writing verses; in any case, I gather from the mail I've received publicly and privately that people generally wish to be participants. Judging is a difficult post to fill.
I had hoped for three judges, but with everyone's consent, and a desire to get the contest started, I propose that I become the second judge. We really need one more.

Katherine (Katy)Zei, a Canadian residing in Italy, has come forward as judge. I looked at her profile and saw that she has journalism training and solid writing ability Great!
So ladies and gentlemen, start your verses!
Nancy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcement : Haiku contest

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »