Off topic: I would like to get help in locating the French translation of a Russian book
Thread poster: Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:18
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 15, 2003

Sorry for not being able to give much clues about the question now being posed here. Sometime back I read the French version of a Russian novel. I forgot the author's name as well as the title of the French translation.
The story starts in Czarist Russia and a group of prisoners reaches a Siberian camp; in this group our hero is presnt. He is a very strong man. The novel is about his exploits and goes on meandering up to the rise of the Bolshviks. The only clue that I can now give is that
... See more
Sorry for not being able to give much clues about the question now being posed here. Sometime back I read the French version of a Russian novel. I forgot the author's name as well as the title of the French translation.
The story starts in Czarist Russia and a group of prisoners reaches a Siberian camp; in this group our hero is presnt. He is a very strong man. The novel is about his exploits and goes on meandering up to the rise of the Bolshviks. The only clue that I can now give is that Tolstoy is presented in this book in a very unflattering manner. He is described as a satyr, from whom no female of age ten to seventy was safe. I would like to get hold of this book. Can my fellow Proziens give me some information that can help me in getting that book (The French translation)?
The reference to Tolstoy is not intended to be a slight on his fair name, which is held in great esteem in my country. The refernce to him was so shocking that it is the only thing that stuck in my mind about this well written book read by me many years back.
Collapse

Montefiore
Montefiore  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:48
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
What is the time period? Aug 17, 2003

[quote]Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

Can you at least determine what is the time period when the book was written? is it modern? COuld it be Solzhenitsyn? Nabokov? Nabokov was known for saying some unflattering things about both Tolstoy and Dostoevsky - he referred to them as "Tolstoevsky" at times. Could it be Vassily Aksyonov? Maybe Sinyavsky and Daniel?

It may also be Andrey Platonov. If you tell me who the author is, I may direct you to a French translation, as my son is a French major, he graduated from Yale, he can help with that, I think.
Andrey Platonov was known to be discounting the influence of the classics on his work, and I believe that he specifically spoke of Tolstoy in that regard. He is also the one who tackled the life in a prison camp. One of his works is titled 'Kotlovan," which may be translated in many different ways, but, mainly, it's a big hole in the ground:) A ditch. A man-made ravine... I also know that some of his works have been translated into French. But it's hard to tell, if we don't really know who the writer is that you are looking for...

[Edited at 2003-08-17 05:06]

[Edited at 2003-08-17 05:42]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:18
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Already mentioned the time period Aug 17, 2003

The story starts in Czarist Russia and goes on to the Bolshevik era, as I already mentioned. And Tolstoy is mentioned almost as a contemporary. The hero is a very strong man and while all the prisoners fall down dead-tired after a hard march into Siberia, he is full of his faculties.
The reason I want to locate this translarion is there is a subsequent part as well. I don't know Russian and the French translation was very nice.

[quote]Montefiore wrote:

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

Can you at least determine what is the time period when the book was written? is it modern? COuld it be Solzhenitsyn? Nabokov? Nabokov was known for saying some unflattering things about both Tolstoy and Dostoevsky - he referred to them as "Tolstoevsky" at times. Could it be Vassily Aksyonov? Maybe Sinyavsky and Daniel?

It may also be Andrey Platonov. If you tell me who the author is, I may direct you to a French translation, as my son is a French major, he graduated from Yale, he can help with that, I think.
Andrey Platonov was known to be discounting the influence of the classics on his work, and I believe that he specifically spoke of Tolstoy in that regard. He is also the one who tackled the life in a prison camp. One of his works is titled 'Kotlovan," which may be translated in many different ways, but, mainly, it's a big hole in the ground:) A ditch. A man-made ravine... I also know that some of his works have been translated into French. But it's hard to tell, if we don't really know who the writer is that you are looking for...

[Edited at 2003-08-17 05:06]

[Edited at 2003-08-17 05:42]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:48
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Most be modern author Aug 21, 2003

I do not know the story, but it seems to belong to the socalled postmodern fiction genre. Ask Professor Pekka Pesonen of Helsinki University: [email protected]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I would like to get help in locating the French translation of a Russian book

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »