Mobile menu

Goethe: In Translation and Views of World Literature
Thread poster: caitlin006
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2003

Friends of Goethe;
I'm entering into an extensive research project dealing with J. Goethe's theories on world literature and translation. I'd like to explore the topic using various translations of "Werther" as a launchpad. However, I'm adrift for sources. Do any of you know of reliable texts relating to Goethe's theory of world literature and to language? Also, are there any translations of "Werther" that have struck any of you as being particularly notable for some reason?
Thanks kindly;

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Hope you'll struck gold Oct 1, 2003

I studied translation theory at an institute for German philology, but Goethe never came up as having a theory of translation or even some noteworthy remark. So I'm a bit skeptical. If Hans Vermeer does not cite Goethe you better turn straight to an expert on J.W. von Goethe at some university.

Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:44
English to German
+ ...
Goethe als Übersetzer Oct 1, 2003

There are some interesting sites on the web, dealing with Goethe and translation, just go Google

English to Polish
Came up once Oct 1, 2003

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Goethe: In Translation and Views of World Literature

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs