https://www.proz.com/forum/literature_poetry/1711-literature_society_ideology_translation.html

Literature, Society, Ideology, Translation.
Thread poster: Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:30
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 11, 2002

The Washington Post article http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58173-2002Mar7.html should be a very fascinating one in the entire debate of Literature-Society-Ideology [where translation is a daily affair].

[addsig]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
The Law of Large Numbers Mar 12, 2002

Roomy, I\'ve often felt that this problem, which is also rampant in China, Indonesia and other densely-populated places, was a question of statistics. Where there are so many \"capitas\" to share the national debt, it doesn\'t seem to matter; where individuals easily turn into a number, they are fairly unprotected. Correct me if I\'m wrong. One day I asked a Chinese friend, what\'s new in China? And he talked about the dam on the Yangtze, where they had begun \"to move the earth and the people\"... See more
Roomy, I\'ve often felt that this problem, which is also rampant in China, Indonesia and other densely-populated places, was a question of statistics. Where there are so many \"capitas\" to share the national debt, it doesn\'t seem to matter; where individuals easily turn into a number, they are fairly unprotected. Correct me if I\'m wrong. One day I asked a Chinese friend, what\'s new in China? And he talked about the dam on the Yangtze, where they had begun \"to move the earth and the people\" - as though these two things were on the same scale. 43 Germans were injured one summer when the Bundesbahn hit a pillar where it shouldn\'t have, and the Minister of Transportation resigned; a few weeks later, over 200 died in a train accident in India and ... It\'s just a creepy impression, but I also feel it has aided the most oppressive regimes in sweeping the dust under the carpet, so to speak.Collapse

AndrewBM
AndrewBM
Ireland
Local time: 21:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nikolay Berdiaiev used to say: Mar 12, 2002

God is less powerful than a policeman.

Quote:

On 2002-03-08, Salman Rushdie wrote:

What happened in India has happened in God\'s name. The problem\'s name is God.

[addsig]

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
This should raise some eyebrows Mar 12, 2002

\"So India\'s problem turns out to be the world\'s problem. What happened in India has happened in God\'s name. The problem\'s name is God.\"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Literature, Society, Ideology, Translation.

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »