Mobile menu

Many Languages, a Common Passion - An unusual collaboration...
Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:13
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 12, 2002

I don\'t know if we can just post articles like that - aren\'t we supposed to pay copyrights?

Anyway, here\'s a link to a very interesting article:

http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-000026014apr12.story?coll=la-

An excerpt:

Translation, like any form of literary interpretation, is subject in Derrida\'s view to manipulation and \"contamination\" by foreign values and biases, whether by intention or subconsciously. Vladimir Nabokov memorably satirized this sometimes comically convoluted process in his novel \"Pale Fire,\" in which a fawningly envious foreign-born editor willfully misconstrues a famous American poet\'s work. At the same time, Derrida has said, the only people who truly \"know how to read and write are translators.\"

Looking natty in a gray pinstriped suit, Derrida spoke about translation at a free public gathering last week on campus. He was joined by his foremost translator, Peggy Kamuf, a professor at USC. \"My English hasn\'t improved since\" he came to the United States, Derrida joked to the crowd, \"so I apologize for not being able to translate myself.\"

The paradox of translation, Derrida said, is that the translator must strive to be as faithful as possible to the original author\'s style and intent, while at the same time recognizing that it\'s impossible to reconstitute the unique meaning of the original words. The alchemy of translation, he said, occurs precisely at that point where an essentially new work is created. \"A translator is a creative writer,\" Derrida said. \"You have to find the best way to be untrue to the original, to perjure in the best way. This is the double bind.\"

Growing up in a Jewish family in French colonial Algeria, Derrida said, he always \"had the vague feeling\" that even his own native tongue, French, was a foreign language. \"Even the native speaker can\'t appropriate his own language,\" he said. \"It is always the language of the Other.\"

Schaeffer said that the center \"in some ways will operate like a professional research firm: scouring distant countries for new voices; supporting writers and translators with grants; helping bring translated works to the attention of commercial publishing houses and academic presses; and helping to secure shelf space for works in translation in major bookstore chains.

[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
Fascinating! Apr 12, 2002

Since I last went to a Conference on translation in Madrid (Nida and Newmark were there, wow!), about five years ago, I hadn\'t read any translation theory again!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

xxxFranH
French to English
+ ...
Why are people from the Netherlands so intelligent? Apr 13, 2002

Why are people who speak Dutch always so clever and why do they speak better English than the British do? (And French, Spanish, German etc.....).

Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:43
English to Hindi
+ ...
Excellent Apr 13, 2002

Dear Evert

Thanks for the excellent post,

Roomy

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wouldn't know Oct 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-13 11:50, FranH wrote:

Why are people who speak Dutch always so clever and why do they speak better English than the British do? (And French, Spanish, German etc.....).

as I\'m from Belgium

[addsig]

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Evert again.... Oct 11, 2002

Thank you Evert

Aurora

aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
what you told about Derrida... Oct 19, 2002

about not being able to appropriate one\'s own language has practical consequences for me.

Since I work a lot with the English, my native Spanish started deteriorating; now I seem not to speak ANY language properly .

T

he language of the Other also refers to Lacan\'s concept of the Other (the language) as language is something bigger than the individual, alien to the individual in a sense (the native language, yes) and the individual is forced to accept it.

Those who reject their language (by using words they create, neologisms) become mental cases (e.g. Schizofrenic patients have their own words, their own punctuation styles, and their own idioms, etc.)

As for translation and meaning, I don\'t think that always meaning is as important as one thinks.

I liked Nietzche\'s Poems of the Desert (from Also Spoke Zarathustra) better in Spanish than in the original German.

Sometimes originals (not this case) are so silly that any translator\'s mistake becomes a contribution to mankind.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-21 09:43 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Many Languages, a Common Passion - An unusual collaboration...

Advanced search

Translation news

Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »
TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs