A Father's Day poem - My Papa's Waltz
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:12
German to English
Jun 19, 2004

Tomorrow is Father's Day in many parts of the world. I think this says something about our relationship with our fathers even if he is/was not a laborer.

My Papa's Waltz

The whiskey on your breath
Could make a small boy dizzy;
But I hung on like death:
Such waltzing was not easy.

We romped until the pans
Slid from the kitchen shelf;
My mother's countenance
Could not unfrown itself.

The hand that he
... See more
Tomorrow is Father's Day in many parts of the world. I think this says something about our relationship with our fathers even if he is/was not a laborer.

My Papa's Waltz

The whiskey on your breath
Could make a small boy dizzy;
But I hung on like death:
Such waltzing was not easy.

We romped until the pans
Slid from the kitchen shelf;
My mother's countenance
Could not unfrown itself.

The hand that held my wrist
Was battered on one knuckle;
At every step you missed
My right ear scraped a buckle.

You beat time on my head
With a palm caked hard by dirt,
Then waltzed me off to bed
Still clinging to your shirt.

Theodore Roethke

[Edited at 2004-06-19 17:37]

[Edited at 2004-06-19 19:47]
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:42
English to Hindi
+ ...
Father is always equivalent to god in India Jun 19, 2004

HI TO ALL PROZIANS,
In Nepal or India, it's different from Europe and America as the family ties are not that much stronger there. In India, parents and their sons/daughters are attached to themselves a lot. In ancient India, Lord Ram went for 14 years' jungle's stay far away from his kingdom Ayodhya just to keep the words of his father Dashratha.
Moreover, I, too am attached with my father even if he is not a living man in today's world. The rememberence of his teachings and efforts
... See more
HI TO ALL PROZIANS,
In Nepal or India, it's different from Europe and America as the family ties are not that much stronger there. In India, parents and their sons/daughters are attached to themselves a lot. In ancient India, Lord Ram went for 14 years' jungle's stay far away from his kingdom Ayodhya just to keep the words of his father Dashratha.
Moreover, I, too am attached with my father even if he is not a living man in today's world. The rememberence of his teachings and efforts towards gaining knowledge, deep desire of doing something for his society and his efforts in this direction keeps encouraging myself to try a little harder to do something for Indian, Nepalese and human beings' society. Even if I do not withstand with my desires at the moment but my father's memory never allow my desires to surrender.
It's well said in Sanskrit
Namaami Eeshwaram Praatah,
Namaami Janakam Tathaa.... and so on.
HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all fathers and their loved ones.

PRAKAASH
Freelance Translator of the languages English, Hindi, Nepali and Sanskrit to four of the same.
[email protected]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 03:12
English to German
+ ...
many things vary Jun 19, 2004

PRAKAASH wrote:

HI TO ALL PROZIANS,
Moreover, I, too am attached with my father even if he is not a living man in today's world. The rememberence of his teachings and efforts towards gaining knowledge, deep desire of doing something for his society and his efforts in this direction keeps encouraging myself to try a little harder to do something for Indian, Nepalese and human beings' society. Even if I do not withstand with my desires at the moment but my father's memory never allow my desires to surrender.
It's well said in Sanskrit
Namaami Eeshwaram Praatah,
Namaami Janakam Tathaa.... and so on.
HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all fathers and their loved ones.

PRAKAASH
Freelance Translator of the languages English, Hindi, Nepali and Sanskrit to four of the same.
[email protected]
Dhanyavad! many things vary, greatly. Basically the family relations, or otherwise, just like systems are changing or have changed and would forever be changing, depending upon the global parametry. I personally find it is most imortant that the individuals and or colonies keep their head straight to know and what they / you are at best. Cultura in a growing internet community is a secondly demanded ware. Nothing is meant personally. The global economy is generally on the upgrade and hence also dooming. Talk to a few Puerto Ricans, Alaskans as these I find a lot congenial and hence wise or even Russian Georgians, Argentinians or even to a few in N.York, they are so much different, forget the Savannah, they have no schools there. To a certain amount one should have and maintain ones own culture. What are we talking about??
greets
brandis

[Edited at 2004-06-19 20:13]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 20:12
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
i miss my dad Jun 19, 2004

I miss my dad a lot. He passed away in 2002, after years of physical pain and even deeper misery of an intellectual, an aviator, a brilliant mind (always an A-boy with every school and quite a 'playboy' in his personal life) who became bedridden and unable to get surgery because of his failing heart.
Already retired military aviation engineer with two technical degrees and huge field experience he volunteered for Chernobyl, rushed there right after it all happened and for several weeks was
... See more
I miss my dad a lot. He passed away in 2002, after years of physical pain and even deeper misery of an intellectual, an aviator, a brilliant mind (always an A-boy with every school and quite a 'playboy' in his personal life) who became bedridden and unable to get surgery because of his failing heart.
Already retired military aviation engineer with two technical degrees and huge field experience he volunteered for Chernobyl, rushed there right after it all happened and for several weeks was helping to decontaminate both helicopters and pilots throwing various materials onto the damaged reactor's site. He actually developed and implemented the proper field decont procedures as the choppers' turbines, when sucking the highly contaminated air, after one or two flights had been turning into a deadly source of radiation by itself affecting pilots and crews.

He was an avid reader, a passionate Sci-Fi and fantasy fan, wanted to become a sailor, a spy, an astronaut, to meet with extraterrestrials and/or people from other dimensions... probably now he succeeded.

No matter what was happening with his personal life he always loved me and I am trying to pass this unconditional love towards my own son.

[Edited at 2004-06-19 20:26]
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Father is always equivalent to god in India Jun 19, 2004

Surely, whosoever loves his father, he miss him after his death. A father is an inspirator, a guide, a role model to a person or we can say the among first two teachers. Of course, another one is mother.
Now, let me describe some facts about my father as well.
He was a Sanskrit Teacher in a Delhi Administration School. He always insisted on retaining Indian values and culture in Indian society. In modern Indian society, these values are loosing their place slowly with the effect of
... See more
Surely, whosoever loves his father, he miss him after his death. A father is an inspirator, a guide, a role model to a person or we can say the among first two teachers. Of course, another one is mother.
Now, let me describe some facts about my father as well.
He was a Sanskrit Teacher in a Delhi Administration School. He always insisted on retaining Indian values and culture in Indian society. In modern Indian society, these values are loosing their place slowly with the effect of increased westernisation. He taught a lot about the Indian culture and tried to make them aware of Indian culture and values until his death. He died in New Delhi, India. In his funeral, there were Indians who were attending it, more than the relatives i.e. Nepalese. I can remember tears in the Indians' eyes. His disciples and students respected him very much. I, even today love and respect him not only as a father, but also as my guide whose blessings still showers on me and push me to go towards right direction.

PRAKAASH
(Freelance Translator of Hindi, Nepali, Sanskrit and English Languages to four of the same)
[email protected]
+977 56 530738

[Edited at 2004-06-20 16:58]
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Great Fathers! Jun 19, 2004

Read these lines
The hands of a father raises
For blessings and praises.
The legs of a father moves,
To guide beloved as he loves.
The brain of a father runs
To make the sons suns,
That's why I say
The fathers are always Great Ones.
PRAKAASH
[email protected]
+977 56 530738

[Edited at 2004-06-20 16:51]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 20:12
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Hey, PRAKAASH Jun 20, 2004

Hi, PRAKAASH, can you please edit your postings deleting "quotes" (why extra space and repetitions) and leaving only your own words - please.
Othewise, for instance, my posting goes through all your messages - there is no need in it. Please EDIT.

[Edited at 2004-06-20 00:55]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Father's Day poem - My Papa's Waltz

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »