Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Universals? May 20, 2006

To translate is to descend beneath the exterior disparities of two languages in order to bring into vital play their analogous and, at the final depths, common principles of being.
George Steiner

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Violators? May 20, 2006

To translate is to violate, as we all know. Yet it is also to reveal: first a new acquaintance; second a new set of relationships within the kingdom of letters. The passage from language to language is the passage from person to person, from one semantic space to another, from world to world. No world of the mind is sealed hermetically, and it is the translator’s task to find interstices, openings for communication between languages – a two-way process which does not end with the closing of ... See more
To translate is to violate, as we all know. Yet it is also to reveal: first a new acquaintance; second a new set of relationships within the kingdom of letters. The passage from language to language is the passage from person to person, from one semantic space to another, from world to world. No world of the mind is sealed hermetically, and it is the translator’s task to find interstices, openings for communication between languages – a two-way process which does not end with the closing of the book in hand.

Ruth Nevo
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Without translations... May 25, 2006

"There are few efforts more conducive to humility than that of the translator trying to communicate an incommunicable beauty. Yet, unless we do try, something unique and never surpassed will cease to exist except in the libraries of a few inquisitive book lovers."

Edith Hamilton

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Aug 5, 2006

Several translators told me that they are addicted to translating. If they go cold turkey for too long (when there is no work), they feel the pain, and it is not just the usual pain connected with meager accounts receivable. I know what they mean. I think they miss the magic moment that comes from understanding the natural order of things, when, for a fleeting moment, we become a secretary of the big clockmaker, architect and translator, and take the dictation at record speed without making a si... See more
Several translators told me that they are addicted to translating. If they go cold turkey for too long (when there is no work), they feel the pain, and it is not just the usual pain connected with meager accounts receivable. I know what they mean. I think they miss the magic moment that comes from understanding the natural order of things, when, for a fleeting moment, we become a secretary of the big clockmaker, architect and translator, and take the dictation at record speed without making a single typo.

So remember, if your customers tell you that your rate is too high, try not to judge them harshly, for they know not what they do. They think that they are paying you by the word. Your customers will never understand that they are paying you for priceless moments of your life that will never come back again.

Steve Vlasta Vitek
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On translators and translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »