Poetry and ideas
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:46
German to English
Apr 29, 2005

There are so many ways to define what makes poetry a unique medium of expression. Here's one little distinction that I thought others would enjoy.

"Edgar Degas was dining one day, along with the poet Stéphane Mallarmé, at the house of Berthe Morisot. As a distraction from painting, Degas had begun to try his hand at writing sonnets – on dancers, racehorses, and Mary Cassatt's pet parrot, Coco – and, according to an account by Paul Valéry, he rashly complained to Mallarmé,
... See more
There are so many ways to define what makes poetry a unique medium of expression. Here's one little distinction that I thought others would enjoy.

"Edgar Degas was dining one day, along with the poet Stéphane Mallarmé, at the house of Berthe Morisot. As a distraction from painting, Degas had begun to try his hand at writing sonnets – on dancers, racehorses, and Mary Cassatt's pet parrot, Coco – and, according to an account by Paul Valéry, he rashly complained to Mallarmé, the most fastidiously exacting of poets, of the difficulties of the task. "What a business!" he cried. "I wasted an entire day on one damned sonnet, without making any progress at all.... And yet, I have no lack of ideas... I'm full of them... I've got too many...." To which Mallarmé – "avec sa douce profondeur" – replied, "But, Degas, it is not with ideas that you make a poem .... You make it with words."

From The Art of Consolation, Christopher Benfey, in The New York Review of Books, April 28, 2005.
Collapse

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:46
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Degas May 1, 2005

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

Robert Donahue (X)
Robert Donahue (X)  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Great story Kim! May 1, 2005

I very much enjoyed it and it's as true as can be. : )

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poetry and ideas

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »