Help with a Senegali accent
Thread poster: Hels
Hels
Hels
French to English
Aug 1, 2005

I am preparing my MA dissertation and have chosen a French literary text to translate. One of the characters speaks French with a Senegali accent. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this should be dealt with in English?

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jane Lamb-Ru (X)
Jane Lamb-Ru (X)
French to English
+ ...
Senegalese Aug 1, 2005

It's not Senegali in English. It means speaks with a Senegalese accent in French. Senegal. one of the large, French-speaking African countries in Africa.

Similar accents occur in Senegal, Ivory Coast, Benin, etc. etc.

May I suggest you find yourself a Senagalese and talk to him/her in French so you can hear the accent?

Try Listening to a Radio Station from Senegal over the Internet...then you can Hear It..

cheers

Jane Lamb-Ru (X)
Jane Lamb-Ru (X)
French to English
+ ...
Radio Senegal Aug 1, 2005

Try Here: http://www.multilingualbooks.com/online-radio-african.html

Hels
Hels
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dealing with accents Aug 2, 2005

Thanks for your suggestion, Jane.
I haven't been able to listen to the radio yet as my office computer has disabled the protocols. But it's really a Senegalese person speaking English that I want to hear.

Is that the best way to deal with the accent in the translation? i.e. to reproduce the accent in the target language? (this is the first time I've done this!)

Paul VALET (X)
Paul VALET (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:26
What about an English Senegalese accent? Oct 10, 2005

Hels wrote:

I am preparing my MA dissertation and have chosen a French literary text to translate. One of the characters speaks French with a Senegali accent. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this should be dealt with in English?

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Allo,

I have tauhgt French in the Niger Republic.

May be you could find out which African languages (non French) are spoken in Senegal. And then you could find out in which other african countries (Liberia, Ghana?) these languages are spoken.

May be you would thus find out an English accent that you could compare to the Senegalese accent in French.

Regards,

Paul

Sandra Becker
Sandra Becker  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:26
English to German
Try Gambia May 8, 2006

Gambia is the english-speaking neighbour of the Senegal, they share at least one african language, Wolof, very common in Senegal. So here´s your english african accent.

Sorry I'm late...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with a Senegali accent

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »