Looking for the original English version of the opening paragraph of Bligh's log of the Bounty
Thread poster: Sarah Ponting
Sarah Ponting
Sarah Ponting  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:45
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2006

Hi everyone,
I'm translating a book from Italian to English and there's a quotation from William Bligh's log of the Bounty (my text says it's the opening paragraph). I obviously need Bligh's original words, but I've been unable to find an online version of the log (or at least not of the first page).

The Italian says:

«Ho tenuto questo racconto a mente come un normale promemoria, trasponendolo nel mio onesto Diario ogni giorno, quando le condizioni atmosferich
... See more
Hi everyone,
I'm translating a book from Italian to English and there's a quotation from William Bligh's log of the Bounty (my text says it's the opening paragraph). I obviously need Bligh's original words, but I've been unable to find an online version of the log (or at least not of the first page).

The Italian says:

«Ho tenuto questo racconto a mente come un normale promemoria, trasponendolo nel mio onesto Diario ogni giorno, quando le condizioni atmosferiche lo permettevano, con tutti gli eventi concreti che si presentavano.
William Bligh
Il signor Hayward aveva questo libro con alcuni segnali messi per iscritto, che compaiono in due pagine; io presi i fogli bianchi per questo scopo...».

Bligh is explaining how he has recorded the events in his journal each day (weather permitting), and goes on to mention Mr Hayward's book of signals.

Can anyone tell me the English wording?

Thanks,
Sarah

[Edited at 2006-02-01 07:54]
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Have you checked the Project Gutenberg web site ? Feb 1, 2006

They keep " A Voyage to the South Sea" by William Bligh in the online free library of the Project Gutenberg.

Here is the link :
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15411

Sarah Ponting
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, but I need the ship's log Feb 1, 2006

nordiste wrote:

They keep " A Voyage to the South Sea" by William Bligh in the online free library of the Project Gutenberg.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I require the actual ship's log, not Bligh's account for publication.

Sarah

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fora and KudoZ Feb 1, 2006

Sarah Ponting wrote:

Can anyone tell me the English wording?

Thanks,
Sarah

I have visited your profile and found out that you are a 'heavy user' of KudoZ, like myself.

I guess you know that no terminological questions can be made in our fora. I also guess, though, that you only want to have those words explained, you seem not to need an accurate translation, right? If that is so, this thread is justified here, your prozmates might help you get an idea.

Let me remind the newcomers that terminological questions can only be made in our KudoZ section.

Thank you!

Au

Sarah Ponting
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kudoz vs. forum Feb 1, 2006

Aurora Humarán wrote:

I guess you know that no terminological questions can be made in our fora. I also guess, though, that you only want to have those words explained, you seem not to need an accurate translation, right? If that is so, this thread is justified here, your prozmates might help you get an idea.

Let me remind the newcomers that terminological questions can only be made in our KudoZ section.

Hi Aurora,

I DON'T require a translation or an explanation of the Italian (I'm quite able to do that myself), but Bligh's original opening words of the ship's log. Not only do I think that it wouldn't go down well if I were to post an entire paragraph in the Kudoz section, but people would think that I wanted them to translate it -- which is certainly not the case. A back-translation is not appropriate here because my text is a caption that accompanies the photograph of the first page of Bligh's handwritten log, which unfortunately is illegible.

I've found plenty of copies of the printed log for sale on the Web, but no online version (at least not of this page). My hope was that perhaps someone out there has the book on their shelf and could tell me the wording of the first paragraph.

Sorry if this forum is not the appropriate place to ask, but I'm not sure where else I can turn.

All the best,
Sarah

[Edited at 2006-02-01 09:37]

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Feb 1, 2006

Sarah Ponting wrote:

My hope was that perhaps someone out there has the book on their shelf and could tell me the wording of the first paragraph.

Sarah

Then this IS the place (hopefully). Thanks for clarifying.

Au

Sarah Ponting
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fingers crossed! Feb 1, 2006

Aurora Humarán wrote:

Then this IS the place (hopefully).

Thanks, I'm keeping my fingers crossed

[Edited at 2006-02-01 09:59]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
You can order it from the museum... Feb 1, 2006

Unfortunately, I have only found the site where you can order digitized image of the log pages. However, the price is quite steep (22AUD per 1 MB + 20 AUD postage).

http://libapp.sl.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/spydus/ENQ/PM/FULL1?414398

However, I would approach them and tell them what you need, maybe they are somewhat flexible...

Sarah Ponting
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the suggestion Feb 1, 2006

Jabberwock wrote:

Unfortunately, I have only found the site where you can order digitized image of the log pages. However, the price is quite steep (22AUD per 1 MB + 20 AUD postage).

http://libapp.sl.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/spydus/ENQ/PM/FULL1?414398

However, I would approach them and tell them what you need, maybe they are somewhat flexible...

Thanks, that's an idea

Sarah

James Calder
James Calder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Public Record Office Feb 1, 2006

Hi Sarah

An interesting request this. I had a bit of a root around on Google and discovered that the original is held at the Public Record Office in Kew. The online archive actually features original and transcribed extracts from the log book (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/museum/item.asp?item_id=29) although, unfortunately, not the section you are looking
... See more
Hi Sarah

An interesting request this. I had a bit of a root around on Google and discovered that the original is held at the Public Record Office in Kew. The online archive actually features original and transcribed extracts from the log book (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/museum/item.asp?item_id=29) although, unfortunately, not the section you are looking for. You could, I suppose, ask them to forward you a copy of the opening paragraphs although it is a bit of a long shot.

Short of that you could try putting some key words from your translation ("weather permitting", for example, forgive my dodgy Italian) in inverted commas on Google along with "Bligh" and seeing if that throws up anything.

Good luck, anyway.

James
Collapse

Sarah Ponting
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, James Feb 1, 2006

Hi James,
I'd already Googled all sorts of combinations to death before posting my query, so unfortunately I've already exhausted that possibility. This afternoon I contacted the publisher of the book to explain the problem and I'm currently waiting to hear what they suggest. Your idea of enquiring at the Public Record Office may come in useful yet!
Thanks,
Sarah

James Calder wrote:

You could, I suppose, ask them to forward you a copy of the opening paragraphs although it is a bit of a long shot.

Short of that you could try putting some key words from your translation ("weather permitting", for example, forgive my dodgy Italian) in inverted commas on Google along with "Bligh" and seeing if that throws up anything.

[Edited at 2006-02-01 21:39]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for the original English version of the opening paragraph of Bligh's log of the Bounty

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »