Thread poster: Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 6, 2002

Special THANKS : -) to my ProZ friend Anna Schwensen who has introduced me to these lovely grooks. I fell in love with them as soon as I read the first one. They go straight to the point, they are simple and what they say is so true…

This is information from the Internet for those who do not know what Grooks are.

I
... See more
Special THANKS : -) to my ProZ friend Anna Schwensen who has introduced me to these lovely grooks. I fell in love with them as soon as I read the first one. They go straight to the point, they are simple and what they say is so true…

This is information from the Internet for those who do not know what Grooks are.

If you want to see the nice drawings go to: http://hjem.get2net.dk/san/grooks.html

Cheers! Aurora

What is a grook?

A Grook is a short aphoristic poem accompanied by an appropriate drawing, revealing in a minimum of words and with a minimum of lines some basic truth about the human condition.

Grooks were created originally during the Nazi occupation of Denmark. They began as a sort of underground language just out of reach of the Germans understanding. They have since become one of the most widely read forms of composition in the Scandinavian and English languages.

Grooks are the product of Piet Hein- a Danish scientist turned poet. Piet Hein has published poems, fiction, drama and essays. He also designed the famous \"rectangular oval\" known as the Super-Ellipse. The shape has been used for table-tops (perfect for seating as many as possible around a table!) and in the Stockholm City Center.

Piet Hein wrote a most fitting description of Danes and Danishness in the following Grook:

Denmark seen from a foreign land

looks but like a grain of sand.

Denmark as we Danes conceive it

is so big you won’t believe it.

Enjoy a few more of Piet Hein Grooks...

MANKIND

Men, said the Devil,

are good to their brothers:

they don’t want to mend

their own ways, but each others.

THOSE WHO KNOW

Those who always

know what’s best

are

a universal pest.

A PSYCHOLOGICAL TIP

Whenever you\'re called on to make up your mind,

and you\'re hampered by not having any,

the best way to solve the dilemma, you\'ll find,

is simply by spinning a penny.

No - not so that chance shall decide the affair

while you\'re passively standing moping:

but the moment the penny is up in the air,

you suddenly know what you\'re hoping.

NAIVE

Naive you are

if you believe

life favours those

who aren\'t naive.

ARS BREVIS

There is

one art,

no more,

no less:

to do

all things

with art-

lessness

WANTING TO BE ABLE TO

\'Impossibilities\' are good

not to attach that label to;

since, correctly understood,

if we wanted to, we would

be able to be able to.

WHAT LOVE IS LIKE

Love is like

a pineapple,

sweet and

undefinable

THE ROAD TO WISDOM

The road to wisdom?

- Well, it\'s plain

and simple to express:

Err

and err

and err again

but less

and less

and less.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-06 14:10 ]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks! Aug 6, 2002

I really love those Danes... That\'s attitude!

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:32
German to Spanish
+ ...
Tienen un aire a greguería Aug 6, 2002

Me ha encantado, Aurora.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-06 14:11 ]

Nitza Ramos
Nitza Ramos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Gracias Aurora Aug 6, 2002

Que lindos! Aquí pongo uno que me encantó:

\"Those who have no wisedom yet count their wealth by what they get.

you who have the grace to live: count your wealth by what you give!\"

schwensen (X)
schwensen (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
Thank you for introducing the Vikings to the rest ;o) Aug 6, 2002

I\'m soooo glad you liked Piet Hein, Au. He\'s probably the best beer, sorry -Dane- ever! ;o) A bit easier to understand than Kirkegaard!

Hope the rest of you, who don\'t know the Grooks/Gruk, will enjoy this wise man\'s wise words!

Love from the little big land,

Anna

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Really nice Aug 6, 2002

I loved them.

They have sweetened quite a rough day.

Thanks Aurora

MikeGarcia
MikeGarcia  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Gracias una vez más,Auh! Aug 6, 2002

Dinamarca se recorre en un día yendo rápido ( yo lo hice ), Copenhagen es una pequeña y bella ciudad de juguete donde la Reina sale a pasear sus perritos a la calle sin que nadie la moleste, los daneses son cálidos, amables y corteses, y todo es \"small is beautiful\". Lo único ominoso es visitar el Castillo de Elsinor ( donde Shakespeare ambienta Hamlet ), que es sombrío y fantasmagórico, Lo curioso es que Willy nunca estuvo en Dinamarca ( dicen ):Y Piet Hein se puede respirar en cada ri... See more
Dinamarca se recorre en un día yendo rápido ( yo lo hice ), Copenhagen es una pequeña y bella ciudad de juguete donde la Reina sale a pasear sus perritos a la calle sin que nadie la moleste, los daneses son cálidos, amables y corteses, y todo es \"small is beautiful\". Lo único ominoso es visitar el Castillo de Elsinor ( donde Shakespeare ambienta Hamlet ), que es sombrío y fantasmagórico, Lo curioso es que Willy nunca estuvo en Dinamarca ( dicen ):Y Piet Hein se puede respirar en cada rincón de cada callecita ( son todas peatonales ) del centro de Copenhagen.Y como todo el mundo habla inglés...
[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grooks - short aphoristic poems accompanied by appropriate drawings

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »