Cider with Lucy ... it was my first translation...
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 21:25
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 31, 2007

"...When she moved into his tiny house in Stroud, and took charge of his four small children, Mother was thirty and still quite handsome..."

Whatever my opinion about the contest, the text made my heart sing.

Cider with Lucy this was the first book I translated - must be 35 plus years by now. Not that the translation was worth much. And of course it never got published.

Still ... it was my first...

Vito

[Edited at 2007-01-31 23:16]

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
that's amazing! Jan 31, 2007

Vito,
What an amazing coincidence! And how nice for you to know that someone else obviously found it a wonderful text. I didn't recognize it or know the title. Who is the author?

I hope you're going to spruce up the old translation and submit it in your language!
Best,
Patricia

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
About the author... Jan 31, 2007

Laurie Lee was born in Slad, Gloucestershire, in 1914. Educated locally he worked for several years as an office clerk before moving to London where he found employment as a builder's labourer.

Lee travelled in Europe (1935-39) and in December 1937 joined the International Brigades to fight in the the Spanish Civil War. After having a medical he was declared to be "physically weak" and it was decided to send him home.

In the Second World War he made documentary films fo
... See more
Laurie Lee was born in Slad, Gloucestershire, in 1914. Educated locally he worked for several years as an office clerk before moving to London where he found employment as a builder's labourer.

Lee travelled in Europe (1935-39) and in December 1937 joined the International Brigades to fight in the the Spanish Civil War. After having a medical he was declared to be "physically weak" and it was decided to send him home.

In the Second World War he made documentary films for the General Post Office (1939-40), Crown Film Unit (1941-43) and the Ministry of Information (1944-46). It was during this period that he published his first volume of poems, The Sun My Monument (1944). This was followed by The Bloom of Candles (1947) and My Many Coated Man (1955). His book, A Rose For Winter (1955) describes his travels in Spain.

Lee also wrote several volumes of autobiography including Cider With Rosie (1959), As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (1969), I Can't Stay Long (1979), A Moment of War (1991). Laurie Lee died in 1997.

I hope you're going to spruce up the old translation and submit it in your language!

Hm... I'd prefer they would think of my "Ann of Green Gables" suggestion. Now, probably she's not manga enough for kids today...
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:55
German to English
As far as I know..... Feb 1, 2007

.......Laurie Lee wrote a book called "Cider with Rosie" not "Lucy." I could be mistaken, though. Apologies if this is the case.

Best regards,
Niraja

Sorry, Vito, I see that you've mentioned "Cider with Rosie" in the previous post.

[Edited at 2007-02-01 05:05]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:25
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I thought it was Rosie too Feb 1, 2007

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

.......Laurie Lee wrote a book called "Cider with Rosie" not "Lucy." I could be mistaken, though. Apologies if this is the case.

Best regards,
Niraja

Sorry, Vito, I see that you've mentioned "Cider with Rosie" in the previous post.

[Edited at 2007-02-01 05:05]

I also thought it was "Cider with Rosie". Did Laurie Lee have cider with Lucy too? The rogue!
Perhaps Vito could clarify this point?
Regards, Jenny.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Uhoh ... it was Rosie of course Feb 1, 2007

crimson ears ...

I mixed it probably with "she lived unknown and few could know"-Lucy. Or with Lucy in the skies...

It was all so long ago. Appologies. Anyhow, it is a book to to cuddle with - when you're down, have a cold ... -.

smo

[Edited at 2007-02-01 11:52]

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Manga and The Beatles... Feb 1, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

Hm... I'd prefer they would think of my "Ann of Green Gables" suggestion. Now, probably she's not manga enough for kids today...

I mixed it probably with "she lived unknown and few could know"-Lucy. Or with Lucy in the skies...

[/quote]

LOL, Vito! It's always so refreshing to read your funny comments (and yes, that "LucyintheSkieswithDiamonds" song can definitely get you confused, he he he!).

Btw, I have never read that book, but it sounds interesting...

Saludos,

Ivette

María Emilia Meini
María Emilia Meini  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I knew it was it! Feb 1, 2007

Hi people! When I read that fragment for the contest it sounded so so familiar to me, and then somehow I was 90% sure it was Cider with Rosie. So I googled and I found this thread that confirmed it It is such a lovely book, very beautiful and picturesque descriptions of places, characters and events. I read it about 3 years ago, it was obligatory reading for the subject XX English Literature in college. Let's see what can I do wit... See more
Hi people! When I read that fragment for the contest it sounded so so familiar to me, and then somehow I was 90% sure it was Cider with Rosie. So I googled and I found this thread that confirmed it It is such a lovely book, very beautiful and picturesque descriptions of places, characters and events. I read it about 3 years ago, it was obligatory reading for the subject XX English Literature in college. Let's see what can I do with the Spanish version of it now...nice challenge!

[Editado a las 2007-02-01 16:38]
Collapse

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I read it when I was a little girl Feb 1, 2007

... I was born in a village near Stroud and my best friend there was called Rosie, so I thought it was the best book in the world. I didn't understand all of it then, but it was all about the grass and the hills, and I loved it.

As for Rosie and her cider ... definitely an appropriate first-time translation!

What was the contest?

María Emilia Meini
María Emilia Meini  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Contest Feb 1, 2007

Anne Koth wrote
What was the contest?

Hi Anne! Here you can see what the contest is about:
http://www.proz.com/post/498360#498360

Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cider with Lucy ... it was my first translation...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »