Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jun 7, 2007

I haven't read (gulp) Ulysses, and I'm translating an essay about Dublin that, of course, talks about Joyce and the conclusion of this novel. I know that there is almost no punctuation, but can someone please tell me if it is a soliloquy, and for how many pages it runs (20 pages?)?

Thank you! (btw I've tried Amazon, but I can't view the final pages there.)

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:11
German to English
Last chapter Jun 7, 2007

In my copy the last chapter runs for 43 pages. It's a monologue by Molly Bloom and starts with
YES BECAUSE HE NEVER DID A THING LIKE THAT BEFORE AS ASK to get his breakfast in bed with a couple of eggs since the City Arms hotel when he used to be pretending to be laid up with a sick voice ....
and ends with:

yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

Vintage Books, paper
... See more
In my copy the last chapter runs for 43 pages. It's a monologue by Molly Bloom and starts with
YES BECAUSE HE NEVER DID A THING LIKE THAT BEFORE AS ASK to get his breakfast in bed with a couple of eggs since the City Arms hotel when he used to be pretending to be laid up with a sick voice ....
and ends with:

yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

Vintage Books, paperback, 1961 edition

"Having confronted his demons in Nighttown, Bloom has apparently freed himself from the dominance of Calypso, for the last chapter opens with Molly pondering his demand that she serve him tomorrow's breakfast in bed. This chapter is notorious for its near-total lack of punctuation (making it very difficult to know whom Molly is referring to when she uses 'he' or 'she'), as well as for its uncensored exploration of woman's sexuality."

http://www.robotwisdom.com/jaj/ulysses/

[Edited at 2007-06-07 21:35]
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thank you, Kim, for taking the time ... Jun 7, 2007

to copy all of that! My author mentions the "yes ... yes" business, too. I couldn't decide if the Spanish"parrafada" (a long speech) should be soliloquy or just what -- monologue will do very nicely.
The person I'm translating must have a version with very tiny print, but I think I'll leave it at 20 pages (43 is really unbelievable!).

Do you ever sit children on this book at the dinner table?

... See more
to copy all of that! My author mentions the "yes ... yes" business, too. I couldn't decide if the Spanish"parrafada" (a long speech) should be soliloquy or just what -- monologue will do very nicely.
The person I'm translating must have a version with very tiny print, but I think I'll leave it at 20 pages (43 is really unbelievable!).

I'm very grateful for your help! ¡Gracias!
Collapse

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
English to Italian
my 2 cents Jun 7, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

I know that there is almost no punctuation, but can someone please tell me if it is a soliloquy

Ulysses is a masterpiece of the "stream of consciousness" technique and Molly Bloom's soliloquy at the end of the book is one of the many examples of this technique.

The stream of consciousness is a way of writing and representing the character's flow of thoughts, which as we know, are often rambling and illogical. James Joyce was one of the masters of this particular technique (Virginia Woolf was another writer who used it).

[Edited at 2007-06-07 22:38]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 14:11
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
afaik Molly's soliloqui Jun 7, 2007

is the longest single sentence ever written - if we leave aside nonfunctional scribes (like in "Periods? Are you talking to me? Periods?" - that was Marty Scorcese...)

Followed - again as far as I know - by Faulkners The bear.

PS: .... but nothing can ever beat Penelope saying yes I said yes I will Yes.

[Edited at 2007-06-07 22:00]

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
English to Italian
YESSS Jun 7, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Once I used my copy of "Ulysses" to reach a higher shelf into my wardrobe! The weight of culture

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I needed some humor... Jun 7, 2007

Liliana and Vito,
You've brightened my day (and educated me, too)! Thank you!
Patricia

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
62 Jun 8, 2007

In my edition (Penguin! not known for very wide print...) it's 62 pages...

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
62?! - it's 65 Jun 8, 2007

... in my (Penguin) reprint of 1969.

Now ... that would be a KudoZ question ... "... have a sentence in English ... no punctuation, like 'his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will yes.' HELP !!!! What do you DO in such a case? Return material to the agent?!

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
the sloppy author! Jun 8, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

Now ... that would be a KudoZ question ... "... have a sentence in English ... no punctuation, like 'his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will yes.' HELP !!!! What do you DO in such a case? Return material to the agent?!

I can just imagine the KudoZers reaction! "Bad author! Bad, bad, bad..." "Can you believe how sloppy some people are?" "Maybe it's a back translation?!" "Send it back!" "Charge double!!" "Never, ever, work with that person again!" ...

And if you listened to that advice, you'd be throwing out the opportunity of a lifetime!

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
:) Jun 8, 2007

in my Polish edition (which I did not manage to read, but one day I will) it runs for just 35 pages
But actually I use this book quite often - to scare off people who have this horrible habit of borrowing books and never returning them. So whenever someone whom I don’t really trust asks me „Oh, you have so many books. Can I borrow smth?” “Oh yes, you can. I can lend you Ulisses of James Joyce, if you like.”
... See more
in my Polish edition (which I did not manage to read, but one day I will) it runs for just 35 pages
But actually I use this book quite often - to scare off people who have this horrible habit of borrowing books and never returning them. So whenever someone whom I don’t really trust asks me „Oh, you have so many books. Can I borrow smth?” “Oh yes, you can. I can lend you Ulisses of James Joyce, if you like.”
I know, I’m mean!
cheers, Ewa
Collapse

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
English to Italian
right Jun 9, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

I can just imagine the KudoZers reaction! "Bad author! Bad, bad, bad..." "Can you believe how sloppy some people are?" "Maybe it's a back translation?!" "Send it back!" "Charge double!!" "Never, ever, work with that person again!" ...

HAHA I can well imagine such a reaction, only to realize afterwards that we were "insulting" one of the Masters of English Literature, bless his heart.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ulysses: The last "sentences"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »