Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:11
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Feb 1, 2003

I wasn\'t sure where to post this. The other option could have been under the \"lighter side of translation,\" but since I can\'t really see this as a source of amusement, and I do consider Tolkien\'s works literature at its finest, I\'ve chosen this thread. I hope you\'ll forgive me.

Please take time to browse this site:

http://home.online.no/~gremmem/engrish_ttt_captions/
... See more
I wasn\'t sure where to post this. The other option could have been under the \"lighter side of translation,\" but since I can\'t really see this as a source of amusement, and I do consider Tolkien\'s works literature at its finest, I\'ve chosen this thread. I hope you\'ll forgive me.

Please take time to browse this site:

http://home.online.no/~gremmem/engrish_ttt_captions/

Highlights - caption first, original in [..]:

\"Follow you fools\" [Fly, you fools!]

\"the one place in the middle of the earth we don\'t want to see\" [The one place in Middle-Earth we don\'t want to see any closer]

\"the trace of Mr Fodo full lost\" [Let\'s face it Mr. Frodo, we\'re lost]

\"You gonna pick it up or what?\" [You could have picked a better spot]

\"Very strong rive\" [Release the river!]

* \"Engrish is a slang term which refers to an English language phrase that arose through poor translation of another language (usually Japanese) into English, or sometimes, poor translation of English into another language followed by good translation back into English. This used to be a frequent occurrence with product manuals, which might say something like \"to make speed up find up out document\", but it\'s less frequent today. Another source of poor translation is an unchecked machine-produced translation, such as that from the Babelfish service.\"
Collapse

Guenther Danzer
Guenther Danzer  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:11
English to German
+ ...
I was on that site and Feb 1, 2003

I can\'t stop .....

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:11
English to French
+ ...
what a pitty! Feb 1, 2003

I have read and seen book and film and find it desastrous for the author.

Martine

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:11
English to Spanish
Logical consequence Feb 1, 2003

You get bootleg copy... you get Engrish translation

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:11
English to Turkish
+ ...
I've seen worse engrish than that Feb 1, 2003

The only thing I can think of is that they\'ve used speech-to-text software and then used the unedited or partially edited version. This seems very illogical too because the Combined Dialogue Lists and Combined Subtitling/Spotting Lists of major movies are prepared month before the release of the movie and generally delivered to subtitling/captioning companies as word or pdf documents. Still, it\'s a good laugh.

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:41
English to Hindi
+ ...
Wonderful, Ildiko Feb 2, 2003

This was just wonderful, Ildiko. Greatly appreciated. Let\'s have more wonderful contributions for this forum.
[addsig]

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:11
English to Spanish
... Feb 3, 2003

There are quite a lot of hideous translations from the Fellowship of the Ring and now from The Two Towers, and I\'m not referring to the divx subtitles (which is quite understandable), but from original releases. One that got into headlines was the japanese version of the FOTR... really sad.

Alas, it\'s undoubtely worthwhile to learn a language just to read certain works.

Cheers,

Rossana

[Edited at 2006-02-07 06:41]

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:11
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
[off?] good point! Feb 3, 2003

it\'s undoubtely worthwhile to learn a language just to read certain works

I originally started learning (ie self-taught) English so I could understand the Beatles and Pink Floyd lyrics.... ;D

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Two Towers Captions - in Engrish*

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »