Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 08:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 28, 2008

Dear colleagues,

Please could someone tell me where this rather well-known despcription of cricket comes from?

CRICKET: As explained to a foreigner...
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Please could someone tell me where this rather well-known despcription of cricket comes from?

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:13
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Anonymous Feb 28, 2008

There are several examples of this on the Web, and none attributes it to anyone other than that prolific author "Anonymous". I traced it back as far as a school magazine in 1963, but that was obviously quoting it and wasn't the origin of it.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thanks - I needed that explanation! Feb 28, 2008

I could do a similar one for American football, which I once had the misfortune of watching, when a friend, who probably hated me, took me to a game.
And that is what I understood:

Both sides meet in the middle of a field, then start chasing each other with a ball under their arm, then........ every few SECONDS, a whistle blows and they have to all meet in the middle and start all over AGAIN!! This goes on for what seems like the whole DAY!!! Over and over and over and over a
... See more
I could do a similar one for American football, which I once had the misfortune of watching, when a friend, who probably hated me, took me to a game.

Both sides meet in the middle of a field, then start chasing each other with a ball under their arm, then........ every few SECONDS, a whistle blows and they have to all meet in the middle and start all over AGAIN!! This goes on for what seems like the whole DAY!!! Over and over and over and over again and again and again and again and again and....

You can tell I'm still suffering even though it's been over ten years...

PS: Sorry I went a bit off-topic...

[Edited at 2008-02-28 23:04]
Collapse

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:13
Japanese to English
Cricket is basically baseball on valium Feb 29, 2008

according to Robin Williams
Other funny RW quotes: http://thinkexist.com/quotes/robin_williams

Kathy
P.S. Happy leap year, all

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
German to English
A wonderful game.... Feb 29, 2008

.....especially when the Australian players start referring to their Indian counterparts as "obnoxious little weeds." Juicy stuff...and we love it!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Falling over Feb 29, 2008

Nesrin wrote:

Both sides meet in the middle of a field, then start chasing each other with a ball under their arm, then........ every few SECONDS, a whistle blows and they have to all meet in the middle and start all over AGAIN!! This goes on for what seems like the whole DAY!!! Over and over and over and over again and again and again and again and again and....

You can tell I'm still suffering even though it's been over ten years...

PS: Sorry I went a bit off-topic...

[Edited at 2008-02-28 23:04]

Re American football - How I sympathise! I think something should be added such as "When all the players have fallen over at least three times, the game ends".
Are we the only people on Earth who can't stand sport?
Regards,
Jenny

[Edited at 2008-02-29 09:30]

Evangelia Mouma
Evangelia Mouma  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
No, Jenny Feb 29, 2008

you are not the only ones.
But I really fancy their attire. And it's carnival time.

Thanks Valery, I didn't know that nice description of cricket. I have already sent it off to all my friends. LoL.
Evangelia

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 01:13
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Canadian football Feb 29, 2008

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Re American football - How I sympathise! I think something should be added such as "When all the players have fallen over at least three times, the game ends".

Jenny

Just to mix it up, the big brutes have to pile up four times in Canada before the other team gets to try.

All those whistle blows are certainly less appreciated during the end-of-season Grey Cup game, held in November and often played in the snow... At least the players get some exercise to warm up, but the spectators freeze to their seats. I'd rather stay home and scrub floors, thanks

Nancy

PS I liked Robin Williams' description

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »