Analysing HTML for estimates
Thread poster: Hildegard
Hildegard
Hildegard
French to English
May 6, 2003

Hello,

I have been reading through the various messages posted on this section of the forum, but being new to this side of business, I have some further questions that so far I haven\'t been able to figure out the answers to.

As many of you have already suggested I have tried out programs such as Web Budget and Trados to carry out the preliminary word count and analysis. These are very helpful tools as they automatically distinguish what needs to be tran
... See more
Hello,

I have been reading through the various messages posted on this section of the forum, but being new to this side of business, I have some further questions that so far I haven\'t been able to figure out the answers to.

As many of you have already suggested I have tried out programs such as Web Budget and Trados to carry out the preliminary word count and analysis. These are very helpful tools as they automatically distinguish what needs to be translated from content that doesn\'t. I have a question though for anyone who has experience with this field: why do the programs include some code in the source text as if it were to be translated? Why do they count text styles such as colour, font or code entitled \"Scripts\" such as MenuImg:, height, hidden, border=0, root, etc. when these are in fact part of the code and do not really need to be translated? I find this greatly distorts the actual word count which rather defeats the purpose of using such a tool!?!

Thanks for all your ideas and words of wisdom.

Hildegard Jenkins.

Collapse

richiwatts
richiwatts
Sweden
Local time: 12:25
Swedish to English
I think this should help you understand May 29, 2003

It sounds like you know what needs to be translated and what not so that is a good start.

Most tools use a DTD file (Document Type Definition) to determine what is html code and what is not. It is based on the HTML4 standard. So if the web pages use code other than HTML4 then these tools get confused and try to make the best guess.

In cases when HTML files contain a lot of code not recognized by Trados etc. I use RWS Too
... See more
It sounds like you know what needs to be translated and what not so that is a good start.

Most tools use a DTD file (Document Type Definition) to determine what is html code and what is not. It is based on the HTML4 standard. So if the web pages use code other than HTML4 then these tools get confused and try to make the best guess.

In cases when HTML files contain a lot of code not recognized by Trados etc. I use RWS Tools http://www.translate.com/shared/tools/ which is also free.

This tool prepares the file in the same way that Trados does (internal and external tags), however, the output of the files is in RTF format. You can then open these files in Word and check to see if anything has been missed. If it has then simply highlight the text and change the text style to tw4winExternal or tw4winInternal. These styles will already be available from the drop down list in Word. Save the files and then analyse them with Trados.

You can even open these RTF files with TagEditor and translate them.

I hope this helps
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:25
English to German
+ ...
Trados just for plain html Jul 23, 2003

Hi Hildegard,

I also did some word counts for html files,
I figured out the Trados TagEditor doesn't handle e.g. Javascript parts, so it counts strange strings and links,
TagEditor and the default html.ini is just for plain html files without any additional features. Such Websites are the more and more rare.

Webbudget counts more or less exactly and you can fine tune the settings to count links, metatags, mouseover text etc. or not.

But it is n
... See more
Hi Hildegard,

I also did some word counts for html files,
I figured out the Trados TagEditor doesn't handle e.g. Javascript parts, so it counts strange strings and links,
TagEditor and the default html.ini is just for plain html files without any additional features. Such Websites are the more and more rare.

Webbudget counts more or less exactly and you can fine tune the settings to count links, metatags, mouseover text etc. or not.

But it is not possible to count the repetitions and matching rates with Webbudget. Maybe this is even better for us, so no matching discounts.

hope this helps

cheers

Noe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Analysing HTML for estimates

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »