Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How do you translate or work with QEL files?
Thread poster: Yael Cohen
Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:35
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
The recent QEL job posting was NOT a genuine job offer May 24, 2003

I am reopening this thread to bring to your attention that our research revealed that the recent Parolate, Inc. job posting was indeed NOT a genuine job offer and has now been removed.
A group of moderators, members and Henry followed up this issue and it was established that the person behind the job offer and the person selling the QELStranslator software were indeed one and the same. Maria Weber and Parolate, Inc. were given as false names. Henry and Gianfranco have been in contact with
... See more
I am reopening this thread to bring to your attention that our research revealed that the recent Parolate, Inc. job posting was indeed NOT a genuine job offer and has now been removed.
A group of moderators, members and Henry followed up this issue and it was established that the person behind the job offer and the person selling the QELStranslator software were indeed one and the same. Maria Weber and Parolate, Inc. were given as false names. Henry and Gianfranco have been in contact with the person behind this swindle; she is being banned from the site, and legal proceedings might insue.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that it is a good rule to try and gather as much information as possible about potential jobs and investments, before making any commitments.

A potential client or supplier who does not readily supply verifiable information and contact details is indeed a risk and if linked to a job offer on ProZ.com. moderators and site staff should be alerted: it will researched on and measures will be taken as soon as backed up by proof.

Thank you all for your patience and help,
Roberta
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:35
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
And this is the case we have to thank the Staff May 24, 2003

as you saved to many of us 50 bucks

Uldis

Gabriela Ventrice
Gabriela Ventrice
Argentina
Local time: 06:35
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you May 26, 2003

Thank you so much to all of you that have discovered these kinds of dealings.

Thank you again,
Gabriela Ventrice

Roberta Anderson wrote:

A group of moderators, members and Henry followed up this issue and it was established that the person behind the job offer and the person selling the QELStranslator software were indeed one and the same. Maria Weber and Parolate, Inc. were given as false names. Henry and Gianfranco have been in contact with the person behind this swindle; she is being banned from the site, and legal proceedings might insue.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that it is a good rule to try and gather as much information as possible about potential jobs and investments, before making any commitments.

A potential client or supplier who does not readily supply verifiable information and contact details is indeed a risk and if linked to a job offer on ProZ.com. moderators and site staff should be alerted: it will researched on and measures will be taken as soon as backed up by proof.

Thank you all for your patience and help,
Roberta

Maribel Cascão
Maribel Cascão  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sprachprofi replied! May 28, 2003

Good to know that we have great moderators who played Sherlock Holmes and found out what really happened, congratulations you were wonderful.
Unfortunately I was curious about this software and due to the low price I purchased it...stupid me...after 13 years working as a freelancer I should know such things...

Today I had a surprise a supposed programme developer emailed me with the above message, does anybody know something about it? Pleas take a look!

Regards... See more
Good to know that we have great moderators who played Sherlock Holmes and found out what really happened, congratulations you were wonderful.
Unfortunately I was curious about this software and due to the low price I purchased it...stupid me...after 13 years working as a freelancer I should know such things...

Today I had a surprise a supposed programme developer emailed me with the above message, does anybody know something about it? Pleas take a look!

Regards
Maribel

One of the Proz.com moderators informed me that the programmer of QELStranslator (not me, I
just sell this program online for her) may have tried to attract more sellings by posting a .QEL- related project at Proz.com.

If you feel that you have been lured into buying QELStranslator and don't think you will want to
use it for future projects, I will refund you. This is a one-time offer just to those who bought the
QELStranslator around the time the suspicious project was posted.

Please note that if you opt for a refund, you won't be allowed to use the QELStranslator
anymore. If you do continue to use it, reveal the access details or distribute the program, you are
committing a crime that will be prosecuted.

Best regards,

Judith Meyer
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Judith is refunding all translators May 29, 2003

Maribel Monteiro wrote:

Regards
Maribel

One of the Proz.com moderators informed me that the programmer of QELStranslator (not me, I just sell this program online for her) may have tried to attract more sellings by posting a .QEL- related project at Proz.com.

If you feel that you have been lured into buying QELStranslator and don't think you will want to use it for future projects, I will refund you. This is a one-time offer just to those who bought the QELStranslator around the time the suspicious project was posted.

Please note that if you opt for a refund, you won't be allowed to use the QELStranslator
anymore. If you do continue to use it, reveal the access details or distribute the program, you are committing a crime that will be prosecuted.

Best regards,
Judith Meyer

Dear Maribel,
the latest development of this story are the following:

-- Judith Meyer is the person in charge for distributing a software utility called QELStranslator

-- Another person (who will stay unnamed here for legal reasons) has developed the software

-- It is 100% proved that this second person, posing as Maria Weber and as a company called Parolate Inc., has attempted to boost the sales posting a job in ProZ (and other translators' marketplaces), and making a precise reference to the QELStranslator software as a requirement

-- Some emails have been sent from Judith's computers without her consent and knowledge, as the second person used to visit Judith's office and do some work there

-- The job posted in ProZ is obviously false, Maria Weber is a false name, Parolate Inc. is not a real company and they definitely have no 25 staff, as claimed

-- Judith Meyer has sold about 17 licences at 50 dollars each, mainly to translators attracted by the possibility of obtaining the job

-- After many investigations, tracking the source of emails and the connections to the site, checking company details and phone numbers, we have established the facts (I wish to thank here particularly Marc Prior, who is based in Germany and has been extremely useful and committed to find out the truth)

-- Judith Meyer is now cooperating fully and committed to refund all translators

-- I have all email addresses of the 17 people who purchased the software after the 21th May (including yours, Marbel) and I will check that the persons swindled receive a refund

-- Judith will produce to me evidence of all refunds

-- The person responsible for all this waste of time, fraudulent representations, unauthorized use of Judith's facilities, false posting in this site, and other illegal or unethical actions will probably face legal action from Judith Meyer, but this is not our business.

A group of site moderators, the site staff, and a couple of regular ProZ members, have done all in their power to unravel the scheme and obtain that the money is refunded.
We cannot give back the time wasted, but everybody can use this experience as a lesson.

Always check the details of the agency or business partners and never take an email or internet posting at face value.

Also, in case of new customers, check if they are mentioned in any payment list or our very own Blue Board.

And finally Provide feedback to the Blue Board about your business partners. All other colleagues will avoid a bad apple or be reassured in case of bonafide companies, saving time in both cases.

Gianfranco Manca
ProZ Moderator

[Edited at 2003-05-29 09:54]

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
great May 29, 2003

good job! Thanks to all those who have worked so hard in the interest of the colleagues. This is a very good example of ProZ spirit!

Gilda

AMik99
AMik99
English to Russian
+ ...
Thanks, folks! May 29, 2003

Oops, it's finished. Great work, folks! Thanks a lot! I didn't buy the program, but waste enough time to solve the problem with QEL format. OK, it was my first lesson in the field.

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Same from here - Well done, ProZguys! May 29, 2003

Gilda Manara wrote:

good job! Thanks to all those who have worked so hard in the interest of the colleagues. This is a very good example of ProZ spirit!

Gilda

Maribel Cascão
Maribel Cascão  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I received the money May 29, 2003

Today I received an email from PayPal, Judith Meyer gave an order to put the money back, so "all's well that ends well"!

Thanks again to everybody!!!

Maribel

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
What a waste of time... May 30, 2003

AMik99 wrote:

Oops, it's finished. Great work, folks! Thanks a lot!
I didn't buy the program, but waste enough time to solve the problem with QEL format.
OK, it was my first lesson in the field.

Apart from the serious damage to Judith's and to this site reputation, it has to be considered the waste of time caused to all translators interested in the job, who sent out CVs and applications for the jobs advertised, studied the QEL format, tried to work with it, asked for a demo version of the software, etc.

I understand that Judith, unaware of the events, had rushed to prepare a demo version and distributed it to many applicants, and so many people and work was invested into those two false jobs...

What a waste of time!

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-05-30 08:05]

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
But what a precious experience ... May 30, 2003

Certainly it was a waste of time for many of us, but still, I send many applications and CVs, I never hear a word about again.

On the other hand, I feel really(!!) fine in this community, with a staff who really take their job that seriously and do such a good work. Seeing how you did this was special!
Thank you very very much!
Claudia

AMik99
AMik99
English to Russian
+ ...
Notes of the author of QEL format May 30, 2003

Here http://www.amk.ca/diary/2003/05/21.html you can read the notes of the author of XML format named QEL, Quotation Exchange Language.

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Update (refunds) Jun 5, 2003

Just a quick update about the refunds to the translators who have been lured by a false job posting into purchasing a specific software utility.

Judith Meyer, responsible for the software sales and marketing (but involved in this situation by another person and totally unaware of the job posting) has contacted all 17 persons who purchased the software in that period.

Out of 17 customers
Just a quick update about the refunds to the translators who have been lured by a false job posting into purchasing a specific software utility.

Judith Meyer, responsible for the software sales and marketing (but involved in this situation by another person and totally unaware of the job posting) has contacted all 17 persons who purchased the software in that period.

Out of 17 customers

• 13 have been fully refunded
  • 1 cannot be contacted because of permanent email problems
  • 3 did not wish to receive a refund (not all sales were related to this job)

I have all email addresses and I'm satisfied that Judith Meyer has always acted in good faith, unlike the person who organized this scam.

I consider this incident closed.

Regards to all
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-06-06 07:02]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you translate or work with QEL files?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »