Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How do you translate or work with QEL files?
Thread poster: Yael Cohen
Yael Cohen
Yael Cohen

Local time: 17:28
English to Hebrew
+ ...
May 21, 2003

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:28
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
What format are they? May 21, 2003

Quote:

2003-05-21 09:40 yc16 wrote:

Could you specify what do you intend for QEL files?

Is .QEL the file extension?

if you don\'t know anything else your question may not be sufficient to identify the file format, as any application or programmer may decide to give to its files a custom extension... See more
Quote:

Could you specify what do you intend for QEL files?

Is .QEL the file extension?

if you don\'t know anything else your question may not be sufficient to identify the file format, as any application or programmer may decide to give to its files a custom extension (.qel .qem ... .qez) or whatever they like.

If the files are in a standard format (i.e. some kind of text or XML or other) their nature will dictate how to deal with them.

If they are a proprietary format, you need to know what is the specific application intended to be used with them.

Do you have sample files or more information about them?

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-05-21 13:40] ▲ Collapse

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Some information May 21, 2003

The Quotation Exchange Language, or QEL, is an XML language for exchanging collections of quotations. It was designed by A.M. Kuchling (www.amk.ca). Currently the QEL format is at version 2.01.

[addsig]

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:28
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
sw to save QEL files in other formats May 21, 2003

checkout this page:

http://www.amk.ca/qel/software.html

where you can find/download a sw to save QEL files in other formats (but it does not specify which.

I am sorry I cannot give you any more first-hand information.

Roberta

[Edited at 2003-05-21 13:59]

airmailrpl
airmailrpl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
.QEL files for QELStranslator May 21, 2003

this was in a job posting for a localization job

The content is quite straight-forward, little technical knowledge is required.

File format is .QEL, which is not yet common, however you don\'t need to have experience with this format if you use QELStranslator (http://www.sprachprofi.de.vu/english/qelstranslator.htm), which will take care
... See more
this was in a job posting for a localization job

The content is quite straight-forward, little technical knowledge is required.

File format is .QEL, which is not yet common, however you don\'t need to have experience with this format if you use QELStranslator (http://www.sprachprofi.de.vu/english/qelstranslator.htm), which will take care of the technical aspects.

Please send your rates & information to...

Don\'t forget to mention how much you can translate till June 31th and whether you own a QEL-editing software already (translators who do will be preferred because of their experience with the format and the faster turnaround time).
Collapse

Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 09:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
.QEL files May 21, 2003

As I understand from the job post, you can use the qelstranslator in order to do this job. If you go to the site they\'re suggesting, you\'ll see that the software\'s price is only USD$ 50.00, therefore, if you are interested in the job you can buy the software in order to translate this job. QEL files are not commonly used, and that\'s why you won\'t find many translators who use it.

Hope it helps you

Regards,

Dinorah

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Is this a real job? or a software sale? May 21, 2003

Quote:

2003-05-21 22:18 dtijerino wrote:

If you go to the site they\'re suggesting, you\'ll see that the software\'s price is only USD$ 50.00, therefore, if you are interested in the job you can buy the software in order to translate this job.

I wonder if this is a real job or just a novel technique to sell a 50 dollars software to eager transl... See more
Quote:

2003-05-21 22:18 dtijerino wrote:

If you go to the site they\'re suggesting, you\'ll see that the software\'s price is only USD$ 50.00, therefore, if you are interested in the job you can buy the software in order to translate this job.

I wonder if this is a real job or just a novel technique to sell a 50 dollars software to eager translators with the promise to be preferred for a 20,000 words job?

From the software website it appears to be a developer who has written a new tool (that nobody else knows or uses), and suddenly there is a job that absolutely requires it?!?

I personally think that the person posting the job is pushing the sales for the author of this mysterious software.

I recommend to be wise before throwing 50 dollars after yet another piece of software.

My advice: ask the person/agency posting the job to provide the software together with the files to translate.

It shouldn\'t be a problem for them and they are the ones that made a requirement of it.

Ask, and see what they answer.

This software will be probably required for this job only and it is normal for agencies to provide to their translators, in some cases, any special software required, not to ask them to purchase it before being considered for a job.

Be smart!

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-05-22 14:23] ▲ Collapse

Parolate
Parolate
English to German
Answers May 22, 2003

Hello,

I just registered with Proz.com in order to answer some of the questions that arose about the job my agency recently posted here. Unfortunately I don\'t see a way to edit the job posting directly, can somebody who is more familiar with proz.com explain to me how to do that?

First of all, we DO NOT require translators to have or buy QELStranslator. It\'s merely a recommendation for those who intend to buy .QEL-editing software and don\'t want to sp
... See more
Hello,

I just registered with Proz.com in order to answer some of the questions that arose about the job my agency recently posted here. Unfortunately I don\'t see a way to edit the job posting directly, can somebody who is more familiar with proz.com explain to me how to do that?

First of all, we DO NOT require translators to have or buy QELStranslator. It\'s merely a recommendation for those who intend to buy .QEL-editing software and don\'t want to spend hours searching the web for non-Mac programs. Translators are free to use ANY .QEL-editing software.

We also don\'t require translators to buy any .QEL-editing software for the test, we expect them to have .QEL-editing software already if they apply for this project, after all it might take weeks to get used to a new program. Unfortunately we had to waste a lot of time on translators who didn\'t even intend to use this format, so I apologise on behalf of Parolate Inc. if it is taking us a long time to answer all the prospective translators.

You\'re right when saying that .QEL-editing capabilities aren\'t common among translators. That is probably due to the fact that this format was only recently adapted for PCs.

If you as a translator can handle .QEL files and work into one of the requested languages, please don\'t hesitate to send us your application. As I said, we received hundreds of applications, but most didn\'t meet our requirements, so we\'re still looking for qualified translators, especially in the directions English>French, English>Dutch and English>Spanish, where we didn\'t yet receive a single translated sample.

We expect to be assigning the project on Monday. If we don\'t find qualified freelance translators who work into the mentioned directions, we might have to contact an agency.

Best regards,

Maria Weber

Project manager at Parolate, Inc.
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you very much for clarifying this issue with us May 22, 2003

Dear Ms. Weber,

Thank you very much for clarifying this issue with us.

You are right, QEL is not a common software and not many translators will have had direct experience with it. However, if an intuitive editing application is made available, I am sure an experienced technical translator with good knowledge of different tools and applications should encounter little problem in dealing with a new format.

In general, a job posting sh
... See more
Dear Ms. Weber,

Thank you very much for clarifying this issue with us.

You are right, QEL is not a common software and not many translators will have had direct experience with it. However, if an intuitive editing application is made available, I am sure an experienced technical translator with good knowledge of different tools and applications should encounter little problem in dealing with a new format.

In general, a job posting should receive more targeted answers the more complete and precise information it conveys.

In particular, freelance translators appreciate to see a description of the

subject matter (I, for one, have extensive experience in sw localization, but would not apply for a project regarding localization of - say - an accounting or medical program, as I have no knowledge of accounting or medical systems and terminology).

Also, full details of the poster (such as company address and URL) are more

than welcome, as they help to establish trust.

Thank you again,

Roberta
Collapse

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Clarification May 22, 2003

I have contacted Ms Weber by email, after her posting, and she has in turn phoned me to clarify the issue about their requirements.

The software and file format for this project are not common, but the requirements to use the software specified (or any other equivalent) are apparently so pressing that they had to make it very prominent in the description of the Job posted, almost not publishing anything else, including the subject of the translation or any other useful detail for t
... See more
I have contacted Ms Weber by email, after her posting, and she has in turn phoned me to clarify the issue about their requirements.

The software and file format for this project are not common, but the requirements to use the software specified (or any other equivalent) are apparently so pressing that they had to make it very prominent in the description of the Job posted, almost not publishing anything else, including the subject of the translation or any other useful detail for the translators.

The text was so heavily leaning on describing how essential was the named software, that many people, including I, were lead to believe that the software was the only reason for the posting.

After the phone call and all the explanation from Ms. Weber I still have strong doubts about the job advertised being a genuine job.

Gianfranco Manca

Parolate wrote:
Hello,

I just registered with Proz.com in order to answer some of the questions that arose about the job my agency recently posted here. Unfortunately I don't see a way to edit the job posting directly, can somebody who is more familiar with proz.com explain to me how to do that?

First of all, we DO NOT require translators to have or buy QELStranslator. It's merely a recommendation for those who intend to buy .QEL-editing software and don't want to spend hours searching the web for non-Mac programs. Translators are free to use ANY .QEL-editing software.

We also don't require translators to buy any .QEL-editing software for the test, we expect them to have .QEL-editing software already if they apply for this project, after all it might take weeks to get used to a new program. Unfortunately we had to waste a lot of time on translators who didn't even intend to use this format, so I apologise on behalf of Parolate Inc. if it is taking us a long time to answer all the prospective translators.

You're right when saying that .QEL-editing capabilities aren't common among translators. That is probably due to the fact that this format was only recently adapted for PCs.
If you as a translator can handle .QEL files and work into one of the requested languages, please don't hesitate to send us your application. As I said, we received hundreds of applications, but most didn't meet our requirements, so we're still looking for qualified translators, especially in the directions English>French, English>Dutch and English>Spanish, where we didn't yet receive a single translated sample.

We expect to be assigning the project on Monday. If we don't find qualified freelance translators who work into the mentioned directions, we might have to contact an agency.

Best regards,
Maria Weber

[Edited at 2003-05-28 09:03]
Collapse

Parolate
Parolate
English to German
Re: Clarification May 22, 2003

Thank you, Gianfranco Manca, for clarifying this.

As I said, it\'s the first time that my agency had to post a project online because usually our inhouse translators and international associates are able to handle every project. In this case however we couldn\'t find enough qualified native speakers with the relevant software expertise.

The program to be localised doesn\'t require any particular term knowledge except perhaps in the area of databases. A l
... See more

As I said, it\'s the first time that my agency had to post a project online because usually our inhouse translators and international associates are able to handle every project. In this case however we couldn\'t find enough qualified native speakers with the relevant software expertise.

The program to be localised doesn\'t require any particular term knowledge except perhaps in the area of databases. A large part of the translation consists of forms and error messages.

I\'m sure that there are hundreds if not thousands of Proz.com members who could take care of this project if it wasn\'t for the format, and the client is persistent about not changing the format. That is why I concentrated on explaining this particularity instead of the usual requirements of program localisation, which wouldn\'t be much of a filtering factor.

Best regards,

Maria Weber

Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Questions May 22, 2003

I'm afraid that so far, this order leaves far more questions than answers.

Is the .qel format really that described by Paulo Cel Guimaraes and Roberta Anderson? If so, the information on this format provided by Maria Weber is highly incorrect. If not, why does Maria Weber not correct this misinformation?

Is Parolate a bona fide German company? If so, what is its proper name and legal status? If it is not a bona fide German company, why does the job offer suggest that it
... See more
I'm afraid that so far, this order leaves far more questions than answers.

Is the .qel format really that described by Paulo Cel Guimaraes and Roberta Anderson? If so, the information on this format provided by Maria Weber is highly incorrect. If not, why does Maria Weber not correct this misinformation?

Is Parolate a bona fide German company? If so, what is its proper name and legal status? If it is not a bona fide German company, why does the job offer suggest that it is?

Where is Parolate located? Why does Parolate have no address, no telephone number, and only an anonymous e-mail address?

Is Parolate associated in any way with Sprachprofi? Again, is Sprachprofi a bona fide German company? Why does Sprachprofi have no address, no telephone number, and only an anonymous e-mail address?

What exactly does quelstranslator do? Why is there so little information about it on Sprachprofi's web site?

Marc

[Edited at 2003-05-28 12:46]
Collapse

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
We are asking Parolate to identify themselves as a legit business May 22, 2003

Parolate wrote:

As I said, it's the first time that my agency had to post a project online because usually our inhouse translators and international associates are able to handle every project. In this case however we couldn't find enough qualified native speakers with the relevant software expertise.

The program to be localised doesn't require any particular term knowledge except perhaps in the area of databases. A large part of the translation consists of forms and error messages.
I'm sure that there are hundreds if not thousands of Proz.com members who could take care of this project if it wasn't for the format, and the client is persistent about not changing the format. That is why I concentrated on explaining this particularity instead of the usual requirements of program localisation, which wouldn't be much of a filtering factor.

Best regards,

Maria Weber

Hi Marc,

I have no answer to your questions. I invite Mrs Weber to address any concern about the company identity and location and about the relationship, if any, with the software developers or distributor.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-05-28 13:22]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Sprachprofi and ProZ.com May 22, 2003

The message you see is taken from the interface that ProZ.com provides to many web sites, as a gateway to the KudoZ area.

Gianfranco,

I am reluctant to accuse anyone of doing anything improper, but the impression given by both Parolate and Sprachprofi is not what I would consider professional. If I have missed contact information (I looked hard for it), please tell me. Otherwise, I have to say that I find this kind of anonymity well out of order in professional dealings. If Parolate has good reasons for keeping its identity secret (in which case, why bother at all with the name?), then why not have the job offer posted by someone else, with their contact details? This is common and accepted practice, I would say.

Marc

[Edited at 2003-05-28 14:00]

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
straying off original topic May 22, 2003

I find it absolutely legitimate that a professional should enquire about another professional\'s contact details, company reference, full contact details, before committing to or considering a work relationship together.

Likewise, I find it is part of professional etiquette and netiquette to direct such enquiries privately, to the party involved, and not publicly, where they could easily (albeit possibly mistakenly) be seen as personal attacks.

I have al
... See more
I find it absolutely legitimate that a professional should enquire about another professional\'s contact details, company reference, full contact details, before committing to or considering a work relationship together.

Likewise, I find it is part of professional etiquette and netiquette to direct such enquiries privately, to the party involved, and not publicly, where they could easily (albeit possibly mistakenly) be seen as personal attacks.

I have already thanked Ms Weber for explaining to us the reason behind the importance given to a specific software in her recent job posting.

I am now closing this thread, as it is straying off its original topic, which merely asked for information about the QEL format.

Thank you all,

Roberta
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »