Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 25, 2008

G'day everyone

I see an Arabic PO file displayed in two different ways in two PO editors. Can you tell me which one is correct? If not PoEdit, can you tell me how to coax PoEdit into displaying it correctly?

PoEdit:

VirTaal:

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:55
English to Spanish
PoEdit Arabic display is wrong Oct 25, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
I see an Arabic PO file displayed in two different ways in two PO editors. Can you tell me which one is correct? If not PoEdit, can you tell me how to coax PoEdit into displaying it correctly?

PoEdit's picture shows wrong handling of Arabic. Text must be aligned to the right and the scroll bars should be on the left side.

VirTaal's picture shows the text with correct orientation.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Subhan Fakhrizada  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:55
English to Pashto (Pushto)
+ ...
VirTaal Oct 25, 2008

Hi Samuel,

The second screen shoot, the VirTaal, display the Arabic script correctly. I am not sure how to fix the PoEidt, as i have not worked with it, but sometimes it could be fixed by changing the witting option from Left-to-Right to Right-to-Left.

regards,
Subhan

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:55
German to English
+ ...
PoEdit 1.3.9 on Linux Oct 26, 2008

The language here is Farsi (hope that doesn't make any difference, couldn't find a short Arabic .po file on the net). It seems to be displayed correctly in the editing pane with the cursor moving in the correct direction. I don't think the alignment in main display window is too important is it?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The correct way to display Arabic script in a PO editor

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs