https://www.proz.com/forum/localization/12628-how_to_translate_shortcuts_in_menus.html

How to translate shortcuts in menus?
Thread poster: Veronica Durbaca
Veronica Durbaca
Veronica Durbaca  Identity Verified

English to Romanian
+ ...
Jul 14, 2003

I have a source document which contains shortcuts (e.g. Caption.NewButton=Ne&w Folder).
I don't know whether or not I have to maintain a shortcut, and if so, what are the rules for creating shortcuts? I suppose I also have to keep a list of shortcuts.
Thank you so much.
Best regards,
Veronica

Stéphan Goldsmith
Stéphan Goldsmith
Local time: 09:20
English to French
+ ...
Consistency with the OS Jul 14, 2003

If the application you are translating is to be run on a Windows machine for example, it is good to try to use the same translations as the one used in the localised version of the operating system, for the sake of consistency and for the general user friendliness.

Tayfun is right to mention that the same hot key should not be used twice. To be more precise, they cannot be used twice inside the same menu.

Stéphan

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Summary Jul 14, 2003

Both Tayfun and Stéphan are on spot. I would summarize their piece of advice saying:

a) ask the customers. Sometimes they prefer you to insert the¨"&" at the start of each menu entry and let their engineers place them.
b) If this is not the case, consider the Microsoft glossary as a guide (or check what Windows does)
c) Never two same letters after the ampersand "&" sign at the same level of the same menu.
d) If you have to pick the letters, pick representativ
... See more
Both Tayfun and Stéphan are on spot. I would summarize their piece of advice saying:

a) ask the customers. Sometimes they prefer you to insert the¨"&" at the start of each menu entry and let their engineers place them.
b) If this is not the case, consider the Microsoft glossary as a guide (or check what Windows does)
c) Never two same letters after the ampersand "&" sign at the same level of the same menu.
d) If you have to pick the letters, pick representative ones.

&Regards
Enrique

[Edited at 2003-07-14 23:30]
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 15:20
German to English
+ ...
Use a localisation tool Jul 15, 2003

Hello,

maybe it will useful to use a localisation tool like RCWinTrans or Passolo.

With this you can check the correctness of your work.

The help files of these tools will give you a lot of information about software localisation and your client can give you some more information about localisation of hotkeys, etc..

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate shortcuts in menus?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »