Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:48
English to German
+ ...
Jan 5, 2004

Dear colleagues,

You will certainly know LISA - The Localization Industry Standards Association, some of you may already be a member of this organisation.
I am thinking about joining, that's why I would be very grateful to hear from colleages what kind of hands-on experiences they have made with this organisation.
Thanks a lot in advance for your time and for any feedback or other suggestions!

Happy New Year to all of you!

Aniello (italengger)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I thought LISA membership was for companies only Jan 13, 2004

Aniello Scognamiglio:
I am thinking about joining LISA...

The rates mentioned on the membership page http://www.lisa.org/members_info/form_membership.html are as follows:

General Assembly (GA) Single membership
$ 3,200
General Assembly (GA) Sponsorship member
$ 15,000
Associate Membership
$ 1,500
University/R&D/Non-Profit Membership
$ 500

These rates are usually out of reach of individuals. I think LISA membership is for companies, not freelancers.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
LISA membership Jan 13, 2004

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:
These rates are usually out of reach of individuals. I think LISA membership is for companies, not freelancers.

Agreed, although it would be nice to see professional translators' associations becoming involved rather than leaving the field to the localization industry.

Marc

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Translation associations often non-profit Jan 13, 2004

MarcPrior:
It would be nice to see professional translators' associations becoming involved rather than leaving the field to the localization industry.

Professional translators' associations are often so strapped for cash that they probably won't see membership of LISA as a good investment. The idea of membership, AFAICS, is to allow stakeholders with financial interest in the field to have a say in how issues are dealt with.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

LISA - www.lisa.org

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »