A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2004

Hello everyone.

Is there a fast an effective tool that creates quotations for web sites? Up to now, I've only used webbudget, but I don't think it will help me in the case in question. The files that I have to quote for have the following extensions, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a tool that can help me count the words for ALL of these types of file:

.htm
.gif
.jpg
.asp
.psd
.swf

Many thanks.

Ana

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Do they ALL need translation? Jan 11, 2004

Ana D. wrote:

.htm
.gif
.jpg
.asp
.psd
.swf

Hello Ana,

I doubt that there are any tools out there that can count words in gif and jpg files, as these are file extensions for graphics. Are you sure you need to translate them? It is usually not possible to edit the image itself. (There are workarounds, of course, but it is really tedious to insert a textbox over the original text, matching the exact font size and background color.)

psd files are Photoshop bitmaps (the proprietary Photoshop format). These files can be edited with Photoshop (and a couple of other tools that have a Photoshop plugin). However, I don't think there is a function that allows for word counting in psd-files.

The same goes for asp and swf files. These files cannot be edited that easy. If your client wants you to translate these files, they should provide you with the content in Word or RTF, so they can c&p it back themselves. Editing of these files usually requires special software (asp is probably editable in any texteditor, such as notepad, and swf files should be editable with Swish or something...).

My advice:
Count the htm-files and ask your client to provide you with the content of the other files (preferably in Word).

Regards,

Sonja

[Edited at 2004-01-11 23:14]

Anthony Indra
Anthony Indra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:47
Member (2002)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Agreed with Sonja, and.. Jan 12, 2004

- SWF should be translated with Macromedia Flash.

Please note that ASP and HTM that can only translated in text editor programs(notepad/wordpad) would need extra times compared to the usual text translations, because you should be careful about the programming codes.

All in all, ask them to provide you the .TXT.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
HTM(L) Jan 12, 2004

Anthony Indra wrote:

Please note that ASP and HTM that can only translated in text editor programs(notepad/wordpad) would need extra times compared to the usual text translations

There are several programs that can be used to translate text in HTML whilst preserving the codes. OmegaT, for example, not only preserves the HTML code but also enables you to translate an entire web site with multiple-level subdirectories, outputting the files in an identical directory structure.

Marc

www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
You can not translate a SWF Jan 12, 2004

A SWF file is only a prepared "fla" file (Flash)you can no translate it, you need the original fla File.

I think you shoud ask your client for files to be translate (docs, tagged docs, txt) or you will need a multimedia expert

Anthony Indra wrote:

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
OmegaT for example... Jan 12, 2004

...na, na!
good businessman

MarcPrior wrote:

Anthony Indra wrote:

Please note that ASP and HTM that can only translated in text editor programs(notepad/wordpad) would need extra times compared to the usual text translations

There are several programs that can be used to translate text in HTML whilst preserving the codes. OmegaT, for example, not only preserves the HTML code but also enables you to translate an entire web site with multiple-level subdirectories, outputting the files in an identical directory structure.

Marc

www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html[/quote]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
not somany Jan 12, 2004

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Ana D. wrote:

.htm
.gif
.jpg
.asp
.psd
.swf

Hello Ana,

I doubt that there are any tools out there that can count words in gif and jpg files, as these are file extensions for graphics. Are you sure you need to translate them? It is usually not possible to edit the image itself. (There are workarounds, of course, but it is really tedious to insert a textbox over the original text, matching the exact font size and background color.)

psd files are Photoshop bitmaps (the proprietary Photoshop format). These files can be edited with Photoshop (and a couple of other tools that have a Photoshop plugin). However, I don't think there is a function that allows for word counting in psd-files.

The same goes for asp and swf files. These files cannot be edited that easy. If your client wants you to translate these files, they should provide you with the content in Word or RTF, so they can c&p it back themselves. Editing of these files usually requires special software (asp is probably editable in any texteditor, such as notepad, and swf files should be editable with Swish or something...).

My advice:
Count the htm-files and ask your client to provide you with the content of the other files (preferably in Word).

Regards,

Sonja

[Edited at 2004-01-11 23:14]
all these generally do not need to be translated, this is the code area. only whatever is there, which is to be projected to the web, generally needs to be translated. For this purpose there are quite a range of globalization and localization tools, which accelerate the realization.
Bandi

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
true Jan 12, 2004

Toledo wrote:

A SWF file is only a prepared "fla" file (Flash)you can no translate it, you need the original fla File.

I think you shoud ask your client for files to be translate (docs, tagged docs, txt) or you will need a multimedia expert

Anthony Indra wrote:

or you would need flash prog. along with the server variant, to decode to txt area.
Bandi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quoting for web sites.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »