Localizing php: does anybody have any experience with it?
Thread poster: Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Local time: 05:35
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 9, 2004

Hi there,

I am in the middle of a localization project with my limited knowledge of Trados FL 6.5 & Tag editor. Sofar I had no problem with working on html files but these php files are real pain in the neck. Most of the code is not recognized by tagedit. So I gather html4 dtp is not the best dtp for php.

Could someone please tell me where I can get a php dtp or at least tell me in plain English how I can modify dtp settings to get the best out of tagedit?

... See more
Hi there,

I am in the middle of a localization project with my limited knowledge of Trados FL 6.5 & Tag editor. Sofar I had no problem with working on html files but these php files are real pain in the neck. Most of the code is not recognized by tagedit. So I gather html4 dtp is not the best dtp for php.

Could someone please tell me where I can get a php dtp or at least tell me in plain English how I can modify dtp settings to get the best out of tagedit?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Haluk

[Edited at 2004-04-09 19:25]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 04:35
English to German
+ ...
Php localization Apr 9, 2004

Haluk Aka wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks & Best Regards,
Haluk

[Edited at 2004-04-09 19:25]
Hi! Localizing php is real hard work, due to the nature of the code and secondly and also these sites are evendriven. My ssugestion is, if you have a choice get hold of the full site and reproject on a local server, to understand the catches. It is better to do that job directly on the Website, ask your outsourcer for access rights.Otherwise Good luck
brandis

Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have every right Apr 9, 2004

S.R. Bandi wrote:

Hi! Localizing php is real hard work, due to the nature of the code and secondly and also these sites are evendriven. My ssugestion is, if you have a choice get hold of the full site and reproject on a local server, to understand the catches. It is better to do that job directly on the Website, ask your outsourcer for access rights.Otherwise Good luck
brandis

Thanks for your reply. I have ftped all the files to my hard disk and have ftp access to site for testdriving. So that would not be problem.

My question is is there a specialty dtp around? Or alternatively, can anyone help me with modifying default dtp so everything php will be concealed in tageditor?

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't think this will work with Trados Apr 9, 2004

Hi,

PHP is a scripting language based on C. I doubt that you will be able to work on it with Trados by simply adding dtp information.
I am not acquainted with Catalyst or Passolo, and cannot give you any information on these tools.

I have found one very interesting article on localizing PHP websites, which can be f
... See more
Hi,

PHP is a scripting language based on C. I doubt that you will be able to work on it with Trados by simply adding dtp information.
I am not acquainted with Catalyst or Passolo, and cannot give you any information on these tools.

I have found one very interesting article on localizing PHP websites, which can be found here:
http://www.scriptdigital.com/divers/phplocalization.html

(Note the link mentioned in the text to another article that may be helpful,too.)

However, as far as I understand, you should have some scripting knowledge.

HTH.

Good luck!

Sonja
Collapse

Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
php no problem with FL 6.5 but dtd needed Apr 10, 2004

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Hi,

Actually I'm working on it without even altering dtd information at the moment. FL 6.5 has built in support for php. But it misses tagging a code section or two all too often. So, when tagedit parses a code section I simply "restore source" and leave the source segment as is. But this causes one problem, it changes certain symbols (including 'open bracket' and 'close bracket') to &qd etc.

I have found one very interesting article on localizing PHP websites, which can be found here:
http://www.scriptdigital.com/divers/phplocalization.html

(Note the link mentioned in the text to another article that may be helpful,too.)

However, as far as I understand, you should have some scripting knowledge.

HTH.

Good luck!

Sonja

Thanks for the link. There is some valuable php information there, but I'm not willing to go in to details of php, I got myself in PERL, C and C++ in the past for hobby and I'll draw the line there

[Edited at 2004-04-10 13:20]

[Edited at 2004-04-10 13:20]

[Edited at 2004-04-10 13:21]

Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, this is a turn key localization project Apr 10, 2004

But I have solved the issue for now by outsourcing a php programmer to debug the final project.

[quote]Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:
Note: That recommendation was assuming you were giving your translation for further elaboration by your employer, however (as I later noticed your comment) if you are doing directly/turn-key project of a multi-lingual web page(user selected language) it may be much more involved, you have a risk of deleting the original and replace your own translation with original. So pay attention from where strings are drawn (like english.inc,turkish.inc or whatsover).
quote]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
There is an editor Jun 9, 2004

[quote]Haluk Aka wrote:

But I have solved the issue for now by outsourcing a php programmer to debug the final project.

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:
Note: That recommendation was assuming you were giving your translation for further elaboration by your employer, however (as I later noticed your comment) if you are doing directly/turn-key project of a multi-lingual web page(user selected language) it may be much more involved, you have a risk of deleting the original and replace your own translation with original. So pay attention from where strings are drawn (like english.inc,turkish.inc or whatsover).
quote]
Hi! There is an editor PHPed, or Ultraedit, both can be used to process php based websites. But why does anyone want to localize php code, it is universally same used for server sided scripting.
brandis

Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Haluk Levent Aka (X)
Japanese to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Text Strings Jun 10, 2004

Brandis wrote:
Hi! There is an editor PHPed, or Ultraedit, both can be used to process php based websites. But why does anyone want to localize php code, it is universally same used for server sided scripting.
brandis

What I meant is localizing text strings in php code, not the program code itself.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localizing php: does anybody have any experience with it?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »