Passolo vs Catalyst
Thread poster: cbcoti
cbcoti
cbcoti
Local time: 14:59
English to Danish
Jul 5, 2012

Is it true that SDL Passolo and Alchemy Catalyst are the leading tools when it comes to software translation?

Have any of you used both?
Have any of you compared it to other software localization tools?

Which do you prefer? Why?

Maxim Manzhosin
Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:59
English to Russian
My voice for Passolo Jul 6, 2012

A half of my workload comes in the Catalyst and Passolo formats. I have used Multilizer and RCWintrans as well but these are rare birds.

From the translator's perspective Passolo is far superior. Though both Passolo and Catalyst have nearly the same set of features, Catalyst is unstable (tending to crash while saving, for example) and is much less comfortable to use.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
And... Jul 6, 2012

And... with Passolo you have at least one nice compatible tool (not made by SDL however) that allows you to export the translatable strings to an XLIFF format you can easily process with a number of CAT tools.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:59
English to Turkish
+ ...
xliff or xml Jul 6, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

And... with Passolo you have at least one nice compatible tool (not made by SDL however) that allows you to export the translatable strings to an XLIFF format you can easily process with a number of CAT tools.

Xliff export new? I am aware of the xml export files for translation with Trados TagEditor, DVX and DVX2, Across, SDLX, Transit and MemoQ (but with MemoQ 2-4 only, mxf format not supported in version 4.5-6).

Selcuk

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Passolo to XLIFF - I meant this little wise one... Jul 6, 2012

http://www.kilgray.com/memoq/TEK_Passolo2Xliff.zip

It is published in Kilgray's website as a help for memoQ users, but it works on Passolo and is really handy in most cases. Not perfect though: it does not import some bits and pieces correctly, or not at all, so it is always good to double-check all strings in Passolo after import just in case.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
My experience Jul 6, 2012

If I were to choose between Passolo and Catalyst, I'd opt for Passolo. My choice #1 would be RC Wintrans though.

cbcoti
cbcoti
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
We use Passolo Feb 28, 2013

When I posted my qestion, I was new to translation tools in general. Now I am used to working with Passolo, but still wondering about the differences between it an other applications.

The biggest challenges I meet are:

- no visual view. This is due to our own software structure and won't change no matter what tool we pick. I compensate by inserting screenshots and comments for the translators.
- issues with importing bundles. Sometimes Passolo has seen a bundle
... See more
When I posted my qestion, I was new to translation tools in general. Now I am used to working with Passolo, but still wondering about the differences between it an other applications.

The biggest challenges I meet are:

- no visual view. This is due to our own software structure and won't change no matter what tool we pick. I compensate by inserting screenshots and comments for the translators.
- issues with importing bundles. Sometimes Passolo has seen a bundle as already imported while still displayed as exported (and it IS the correct bundle). We have cheated the system by doing an extra export, then importing the "old", unexported bundle.
- issues with translators not understanding, how the system with bundles work. (NOT Passolos fault, I know). I wish for a server or cloud based solution, so we can always have the latest work at hand, no matter what our translators do.
- help that doesn't entirely match what I actually see in Passolo
- slow support
- performance issues. Passolo tends to stall when I do a cross string search.
- fuzzy matches are not always found, even when I know they are there.
- the source string update report cannot be saved.

What I do like is:

- precise marking of changes on string level
- partial rollback
- well functioning search (except for it stalling sometimes)
- character limit option
- easy to copy either ID or text when needed, e.g. for search in the code.
- filter function

All of it might be the same for all tools... what do you think?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Passolo vs Catalyst

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »