David Howard
David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:48
French to English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2012

Hi all,

A client has asked if it's possible to localise their site directly in Drupal.

"Probably we’d want to give you access to the back end to update the content directly into Drupal if that’s doable?"

I'm aware that Drupal has it's own modules by which you can translate a website interface, but how easy is it to integrate a CAT tool/TM, if it's at all possible? Is it possible to export files to translate locally before importing them back in?
<
... See more
Hi all,

A client has asked if it's possible to localise their site directly in Drupal.

"Probably we’d want to give you access to the back end to update the content directly into Drupal if that’s doable?"

I'm aware that Drupal has it's own modules by which you can translate a website interface, but how easy is it to integrate a CAT tool/TM, if it's at all possible? Is it possible to export files to translate locally before importing them back in?

Before I accept/refuse the assignment I'd like to know how quickly I could learn this (fortunately the deadline is fairly long).

Many thanks,

David
Collapse

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:48
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Drupal as a CMS Aug 21, 2012

Hi David,

As Drupal is a CMS, your client wants to translate the content of the site or the site itself?

David Howard
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Hi Targama T,

Thanks for your quick reply.

It's the content that the client wants to translate, but unfortunately I'm not familiar with Drupal.

I'm slowly working through their guide to work out if/how it can best be done. (http://drupal.org/documentation/multilingual) but it looks you have to translate content directly in the CMS. The website has a lo
... See more
Hi Targama T,

Thanks for your quick reply.

It's the content that the client wants to translate, but unfortunately I'm not familiar with Drupal.

I'm slowly working through their guide to work out if/how it can best be done. (http://drupal.org/documentation/multilingual) but it looks you have to translate content directly in the CMS. The website has a lot of repetitions, hence my desire to use/integrate a CAT tool.

Any ideas?

David
Collapse

TargamaT team
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...

Hi again,

If it is the content, I think you have to export it as a text then translate and send it again to Drupal.

This is a standard operation for CMS and we do it for Joomla in En, Fr, De > Ar.

If the website has a lot of repetitions, I think it is better to export all texts in one common document then you continue as indicated.

Hope it helps!

David Howard
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Drupal Translation Management Aug 21, 2012

Thanks again Targama,

I've just found this very helpful link (through icanlocalize.com), in case anyone else comes across this thread:

http://drupal.org/project/translation_management

At first glance this looks like the most straight forward method.

"Your own translators will use the convenient Unified Translation Editor. It shows the or
... See more
Thanks again Targama,

I've just found this very helpful link (through icanlocalize.com), in case anyone else comes across this thread:

http://drupal.org/project/translation_management

At first glance this looks like the most straight forward method.

"Your own translators will use the convenient Unified Translation Editor. It shows the original contents and translation side-by-side. Translators can also download jobs as XLIFF, translate offline in the favorite CAT tools and upload back to Drupal."

[Edited at 2012-08-21 15:07 GMT]
Collapse

TargamaT team
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...

WoW, thank you!

We have to ask Joomla guys to offer such application for the actual version.

That looks great actually and very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localising a Drupal based website

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »