Thread poster: Ashok Bagri
Ashok Bagri
Ashok Bagri  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:22
English to Hindi
+ ...
Sep 2, 2004

In translation of string tables, is the translation to be done by overwriting the source text in CSRC or by entering between the quotes "" in CXLT row. What is the expansion and significance of CSRC and CXLT.

STRINGTABLE:IDS_LOCAL_COMMAND STANDARD
[CSRC] "File Save"
[CXLT] ""

Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated. I think the translation should be entered in CXLT row.

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:52
English to German
Suggestion Sep 2, 2004

Hello,

It seems to me that CSRC means "Source" and CXLT means "Xlation" (= Translation).

So I'd definitely opt for putting your translations within the quotes in CXLT.

If you're still in doubt, you better check with your client.

Regards,
Stefan

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Source and translation Sep 2, 2004

Common sense would suggest that CSRC stands for Source and CXLT stands for Translation. Even if that's not the case, it'll be easy to write a short macro that deletes the CSRC line, renames lines beginning with CXLT to CRSC and inserts a new empty CXLT string. Hence, I'd put the translation into the CXLT line.

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:22
English to Hindi
+ ...
If all CXLTs are empty... Sep 2, 2004

..then it looks obvious that CXLT is intended for translation. However, best bet would be to ask the Client.

Thierry Lafaye (X)
Thierry Lafaye (X)
English to French
+ ...
XLT is indeed Translation Sep 3, 2004

Hi all,

Yes, XLT is sometimes used as an abbreviation for Translation. So an educated guess would be to think that all XLT references are for your translations.

Thierry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

STRING TABLE TRANSLATION

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »