Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 23:09
English to Serbian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 11, 2013

Hello,

I have to localise some files directly in coding. My codes look all like this:
db.classifier_item.update({ _id : NumberInt(100) }, { $addToSet : { locales : "en" }, $set : { en : { value : "Service" } }})

Besides "Service" I will also change this part: { locales : "en" } into { locales : "bs" } for Bosnian language - target language.

What I am not sure about is should I change this part as well:
$set : { en

Can
... See more
Hello,

I have to localise some files directly in coding. My codes look all like this:
db.classifier_item.update({ _id : NumberInt(100) }, { $addToSet : { locales : "en" }, $set : { en : { value : "Service" } }})

Besides "Service" I will also change this part: { locales : "en" } into { locales : "bs" } for Bosnian language - target language.

What I am not sure about is should I change this part as well:
$set : { en

Can anyone recognize this coding and confirm if this second occurence of the "en" string is text value to be localized or part of coding syntax?

Thank you.
Collapse

Xenoglossy
Xenoglossy
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Aug 11, 2013

I would say "yes", but you better ask some computer freak or some programmer first.
By the way, in which programming language is that software created?

Regards

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
It looks like a variable for 'English' but Aug 11, 2013

It looks like a variable (array with further variables, more like) that stands for 'English', but you still need to ask a programmer. This potentially involves not only the syntax of whatever programming language the code is in but also the structure of the algorithm devised by the coders. (Which is basically what AGV said.)

[Edited at 2013-08-11 13:49 GMT]

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
And Aug 12, 2013

And the programmer will say, "I don't know unless I read the entire source code for the entire programming project, even if it's tens of thousands of lines".

(The programming looks like MongoDB, which has a NumberInt constructor and $addToSet operator. http://docs.mongodb.org)

Xenoglossy
Xenoglossy
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Aug 12, 2013

Given the doubts that we have, don't translate it. If the client asks you to translate it, then it's very easy to do it using a global search and replace using any text editor:

{ en : {

replace by

{ bs : {

That's it.

Dejan Škrebić
Dejan Škrebić  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you Aug 12, 2013

Hello all,

Thank you all I hoped to attract eye of a translator-developer geek here)
I left it untranslated so far. The customer did not report any problems with using it yet. If there be any, I will resolve it with a quick global serach and replace.

Thanks again.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Watch out Aug 12, 2013

For a global search-replace you will need to use regular expressions to parse whitespace differences, and be absolutely sure that you know what you're doing. AGV:s simple suggestion doesn't cut it at all.

A non-programmer probably shouldn't be doing global search-replace on source code files.

(And the "let's put all our strings in the source code" localisation system used here is... error-prone, shall we say.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

coding

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »