Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 05:45
English to German
+ ...
Oct 27, 2004

Hello all!,

Currently I am confronted with a project, where the customer didn´t give me the apoication, but a few screens (GUI) and a range of .dll strings and would like to have an assessment or a budget for the whole project. Now I don´t know how to assess this as I have no word / String counting utility for this partly available application. It is apparently the client version of the application, I was given to understanding that there is a server version available aswell. So
... See more
Hello all!,

Currently I am confronted with a project, where the customer didn´t give me the apoication, but a few screens (GUI) and a range of .dll strings and would like to have an assessment or a budget for the whole project. Now I don´t know how to assess this as I have no word / String counting utility for this partly available application. It is apparently the client version of the application, I was given to understanding that there is a server version available aswell. So due to the trouble to assess the work, I would like to project a realistic budget. I shall appreciate all help
Regards, Brandis
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
just give him word or hourly fees Oct 27, 2004

Hi Brandis,
there is no way you can forecast the cost of a project if you do not have basic information like wordcounts.

the material you seem to have should be enough to evaluate whether you can competently handle the project. For a cost estimate, you need other parameters: quantity and unit fee.
If the client cannot give you an estimated wordcount, nor all you need to calculate wordcount at your end, then the only thing you can do is to give him a sample calculation ba
... See more
Hi Brandis,
there is no way you can forecast the cost of a project if you do not have basic information like wordcounts.

the material you seem to have should be enough to evaluate whether you can competently handle the project. For a cost estimate, you need other parameters: quantity and unit fee.
If the client cannot give you an estimated wordcount, nor all you need to calculate wordcount at your end, then the only thing you can do is to give him a sample calculation based on your unit fee: so much for 1000 words, so much an hour, so much for a 3 weeks project... whatever, making him aware that the final cost will depend on actual wordcount or time spent on the project.

HtH,
Roberta
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That´s grand Oct 27, 2004

Thank you very much Roberta. I shall see what becomes of it. I have sent out a rough quotation on hourly basis / final adjustment Hour price + word count.
Rgds,
Brandis

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Use the Analyse functionality of your CAT tool Oct 27, 2004

Brandis wrote:

Hello all!,

Currently I am confronted with a project, where the customer didn´t give me the apoication, but a few screens (GUI) and a range of .dll strings and would like to have an assessment or a budget for the whole project. (...)

Hi Brandis,

Depending on the CAT tool you use, and on the format of the files you've got you can analyse what they sent you. SDL Analyse can analyze RC files and Generic Delimited files directly. With Workbench, I guess you need to convert them somehow to the RTF format (but that's what the client usually does), and analyse with Workbench. There should be similar functionalities in other CATs.

As for the rates, I don't know what rates are realistic in Germany/EU.

Regards,

Piotr

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that was to be done using wintrans or catalyst Oct 27, 2004

But I didn´t receive any application, only extracted files.
Rgds,
Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

which prices are realistic in Software Localization

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »