Thread poster: Gianfranco Zecchino
Gianfranco Zecchino
Gianfranco Zecchino  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:01
German to Italian
+ ...
Nov 14, 2004

Hello!

I have a question concerning the localization of Web sites, one of the fields I'l like to specialize in.
Is adaptation of graphical elements (for example traslation of words in .gif files) part of the work a freelancer translator is required to do, or is it rather a work for those who design the site?
I wonder how different localizators can guarantee that the translated images look exactly like each other and like the original one.
What's the usual praxis?... See more
Hello!

I have a question concerning the localization of Web sites, one of the fields I'l like to specialize in.
Is adaptation of graphical elements (for example traslation of words in .gif files) part of the work a freelancer translator is required to do, or is it rather a work for those who design the site?
I wonder how different localizators can guarantee that the translated images look exactly like each other and like the original one.
What's the usual praxis?
Thanks a lot for your help!

Gianfranco
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Mi opinion... Nov 14, 2004

is that a translator should translate.

Normally images, like Gifs, are made with programs like Fireworks or PS where you can easily change text elements. And this is a matter of the webmaster.

PDFs, jpgs, gifs, tiffs, etc. are the final result of a application and are not conceived to work on it. There are not our matter as translator. If you want to offer a complete service, think that you have to know very well all programs involucrated in the project. And never work
... See more
is that a translator should translate.

Normally images, like Gifs, are made with programs like Fireworks or PS where you can easily change text elements. And this is a matter of the webmaster.

PDFs, jpgs, gifs, tiffs, etc. are the final result of a application and are not conceived to work on it. There are not our matter as translator. If you want to offer a complete service, think that you have to know very well all programs involucrated in the project. And never work with compressed formats!

Rgds

Toledo
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:01
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Charge by the hour Nov 15, 2004

Sometimes when translating large jobs of Word-files with some graphics, I do the adaptation for free, if it can be done easily. Otherwise one should charge the work by the hour. If the customer has created the images in-house, one should ask for the original, non-flattened and non-compressed files, then it's easy to go to the level with the text and edit only that, flatten and save the file and insert it into the larger file.
Try also Paint shop pro. For simple graphics I use PSP 3.14 from
... See more
Sometimes when translating large jobs of Word-files with some graphics, I do the adaptation for free, if it can be done easily. Otherwise one should charge the work by the hour. If the customer has created the images in-house, one should ask for the original, non-flattened and non-compressed files, then it's easy to go to the level with the text and edit only that, flatten and save the file and insert it into the larger file.
Try also Paint shop pro. For simple graphics I use PSP 3.14 from 1998, works fine.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:01
English to German
+ ...
I offer anything I know to do Nov 15, 2004

Editing of pictures (bitmaps) is not a translators job,
but since I happen to know how to do it I offer it when needed.
Payment is usually per hour or as a lump sum.
It's a nice change from always doing translation work.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
different possible scenarios Nov 15, 2004

No set rule for this, there may be different possible scenarios:

1. The client has his own trusted resources (inhouse or otherwise) to handle graphic and layout issues. He only requires the translation from you and will normally advise how he wants the text for graphics from you (usually as a table or an excel file, with both Original and Translation); after your delivery, he may come back to you to request some text to be shortened or edited to fit within the image/layout.
... See more
No set rule for this, there may be different possible scenarios:

1. The client has his own trusted resources (inhouse or otherwise) to handle graphic and layout issues. He only requires the translation from you and will normally advise how he wants the text for graphics from you (usually as a table or an excel file, with both Original and Translation); after your delivery, he may come back to you to request some text to be shortened or edited to fit within the image/layout.

2. The client has his own trusted resources (inhouse or otherwise) to handle graphic and layout issues. He only requires the translation from you. You have experience and you can handle the required tasks/formats yourself -> you offer him the "full service" (calculate time required and fee accordingly) and the client may or may not accept it (he may be happy to have a simple workflow and everything handled by one person; or he may still prefer to handle the "tricky" work himself)

3. The client has no graphic resources and would be very happy to get the "full service" from you.
a) You have experience and you can handle the required tasks/formats yourself -> you offer the extra service at an agreed hourly rate or lump fee
b) You have no experience and cannot handle the required tasks/format yourself -> you provide only the translation and leave the rest to the client.
c) You have no experience and cannot handle the required tasks/format yourself -> you work together with a colleague with relevant experience and who can handle the tasks/formats, you offer the extra service at an agreed hourly or lump fee and you pay your colleague his share, as agreed between yourselves.

The main thing is to keep the client happy - with the result and with the overall service received

Roberta
Collapse

Gianfranco Zecchino
Gianfranco Zecchino  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 15, 2004

Thanks a lot to all of you for the precious insights!
I have an idea now of how things work and will be able to avoid beginners' false steps.
Ciao!

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
No single set of rules Nov 20, 2004

As Roberta has shown in the scenarios stated above, there is no single rule as to what holds what responsibility in the localization process. I wrote an article in 2003 called "Ownership at Issue in the Localization Cycle" which is listed in the Translation / Localization processes of my Localization page (http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/localization.htm). This article de... See more
As Roberta has shown in the scenarios stated above, there is no single rule as to what holds what responsibility in the localization process. I wrote an article in 2003 called "Ownership at Issue in the Localization Cycle" which is listed in the Translation / Localization processes of my Localization page (http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/localization.htm). This article described how the fuzziness of responsibility, due to so many different scenarios makes it difficult for people to get the job done, because they never know if they should assume they are responsible for it, or that someone will do it.

The general rule is that the job needs to get done, irrespective of who does it.
So, usually you will have to do it, you will learn a lot of new skills doing it.
Once you have done it and realize how much work it really takes to do it (and can estimate the time/cost effort in a resource allocation budgeting way), then you can ask the customer to pay you for that as an additional service.

Often better to charge by a time-based metric (by hour) for these kinds of services, because these tasks are usually full of surprises.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/
Collapse

Desi_vdb
Desi_vdb
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
don't waste your time Nov 22, 2004

I am both a translator and a webmaster. When I create images for a website, the final version is very hard to imitate, but I have pre-final copies, like templates, where I can easily change the text. So if you are asked to modify the images, be sure to ask for the templates and the used fonts. If they don't know what you're talking about, don't do it. It may cost you one hour to imitate the image (if you can find the font at all), while the webmaster or designer may do it in 5 minutes. Not to me... See more
I am both a translator and a webmaster. When I create images for a website, the final version is very hard to imitate, but I have pre-final copies, like templates, where I can easily change the text. So if you are asked to modify the images, be sure to ask for the templates and the used fonts. If they don't know what you're talking about, don't do it. It may cost you one hour to imitate the image (if you can find the font at all), while the webmaster or designer may do it in 5 minutes. Not to mention that you cannot really be expected to purchase expensive powerful tools like photoshop, or paint shop pro for translation work.

It is not part of the translator's job. If I would want a website translated, I would expect the text to be translated, preferably still in html format, and I would provide a seperate list for all the texts in the images (the menus etc.)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question on localization of Web sites and graphics

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »