Andrei Albu
Romania
Local time: 02:34
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 17, 2004

Hello everybody,

I am new to localisation tools (although not to localisation itself) and consider acquiring the Passolo 5.0 software. However, before making this rather expensive investment, I would appreciate it if anyone could explain to me what the difference is between Passolo 5.0 Standard Edition and Passolo 5.0 Translator Edition that is downloadable for free. Apologies if it seems a silly question to the connoisseurs, and thank you in advance for any hints.
Andrei

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 01:34
English to German
+ ...
there is yet another version Nov 17, 2004

Hi! I cannot explain the difference between lite Translator ( I guess it has an extended editor functionality) and may be one could compare it with a client version ( meant for the translator) Standard version I do not know but the Developer version is ideal for localization projects. Coming to the price aspect, if I am a novice I would rather go for 4.05 developer edition, it has all the functionality of 5.0, I mean it can be used for com-components, dotNet and the similar. I see you are a mode... See more
Hi! I cannot explain the difference between lite Translator ( I guess it has an extended editor functionality) and may be one could compare it with a client version ( meant for the translator) Standard version I do not know but the Developer version is ideal for localization projects. Coming to the price aspect, if I am a novice I would rather go for 4.05 developer edition, it has all the functionality of 5.0, I mean it can be used for com-components, dotNet and the similar. I see you are a moderator. I have but yet another question. Under the profile logo of every participant in a poster, I see a "direct link" marked red, upon clicking on it the message gets fully yellow. What does it do or represent??
Regards,Brandis
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
off topic - direct link feature Nov 17, 2004

Brandis wrote:
I see a "direct link" marked red, upon clicking on it the message gets fully yellow. What does it do or represent?

Hi Brandis.

By clicking on direct link the single post gets highlighted, as you describe, and its specific address line is in the URL field; this should make it easier to reference single posts within forum threads.

Roberta

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Translator Edition Nov 17, 2004

Andrei Albu wrote:

Hello everybody,

I would appreciate it if anyone could explain to me what the difference is between Passolo 5.0 Standard Edition and Passolo 5.0 Translator Edition that is downloadable for free.
Andrei

The translator Edition works in the same way as Transit Satellite.

The Standard Edition is the normal version for translators and the developer is just for projects managers working in a team or making "more" than just translation.

Rgds

Toledo

Andrei Albu
Andrei Albu
Romania
Local time: 02:34
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 19, 2004

Thank you for your replies. What surprises me is the fact that the translator edition is completely free - and is not a demo! -, while the standard edition is so expensive. Before deciding to buy, I will try to figure out in detail what each of them does exactly. Thank you again for your time and please bear with me if I come up again with beginners questions. BTW, do you know of any forum for beginners with localisation tools?
All the best,
Andrei

[Edited at 2004-11-19 09:47]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I see you do not know Transit satellite ;-) Nov 19, 2004

Andrei Albu wrote:

Thank you for your replies. What surprises me is the fact that the translator edition is completely free -
Andrei

[Edited at 2004-11-19 09:47]

With this version you can only work in prepared files from a client owning a licence. You can not work in your own projects.

Rgds

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Novice question on Passolo

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »