Mobile menu

Website translation. Problems with links
Thread poster: Javier Herrera
Javier Herrera
Jan 18, 2005

Dear all,
I’m teaching myself to translate websites (beginner) using WordFast and Rainbow and I've designed a small one (around 50 words and three pages) for that purpose. My problem is that links stay ‘untranslated', i.e., the link in the target version would take me to another page in the source version. I can solve that problem easily by changing the translated pages' URLs and the links manually, but I feel this doesn’t seem right, I can get away with it for small sites but I want to learn the proper way for bigger projects. Up to now, I’m only translating webpages for one customer, she sends me the pages she wants, I give the translated html back and she deals with the site’s structure. There is bound to be a way to do that automatically, but I haven’t found it in the WordFast manual or in the how-to about website translation in this site.
Thanks, and sorry if my question is too basic, I’m sure I’m missing something.
Javier Herrera

Direct link Reply with quote
Aleksandr Surkov
Local time: 14:27
English to Russian
CatsCradle Jan 19, 2005

Try to use CatsCradle.
Translate web sites without worrying about the HTML code.
It's free but can be useful.

Mihail M Mateev
Local time: 14:27
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Links have to be relative Jan 19, 2005

Basically, the link have to be relative (for example: ../foo.htm) and not:
Again basically, if you are going to make a web-localization, a mirror is made in the target language, to keep the things simple.

You would have one foler with name "en" for english pages, one folder "es" for Spanish pages, etc. In the root folder you would have one index file with name "index.htm" which will direct you to EN and Es versions. And the structure of EN and ES folders will be equal.

Personally I localize my sites this way)

If you still have problems - you can always write me at my email)

Best regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website translation. Problems with links

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs