Mobile menu

Purchase Trados 7 or SDLX 2005?
Thread poster: Jeana Clark

Jeana Clark  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:00
German to English
Aug 30, 2005

I want to purchase Trados or SDLX. I am aware that Trados was purchased by SDL (maker of SDLX) this summer. I am a freelancer who wants user-friendly software. I am at a loss over which product to buy; I do not wish to purchase both. I have heard pros and cons for both. Can anybody give me some practical advice?

Direct link Reply with quote
 
smorales30  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
My suggestion Aug 30, 2005

Hi,

I haven't tried SDL but I have Trados 7 and it works perfectly. Although my favorite CAT tool is still Deja Vu, I think Trados is what most agencies work with (especially US-based agencies) so my suggestion would be that.

Silvia


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
German to English
+ ...
Purchase Trados 7 or SDLX 2005? Aug 30, 2005

Try the demo versions of both.

Marc


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
SDLX more friendly, Trados is Superman Aug 30, 2005

Hello,

If you'd like a simple CAT tool with no more features, your choice will be SDLX. SDLX has also a great feature which is so faster than Trados especially with big texts (it's recommended for websites translation, because it saves the formatting much better). Yet, if you have the desire to do much more with the CAT tool you use, you'll then purchase Trados. It's the strongest CAT tool ever among SDLX, STAR Transit, and others.

Even if you purchase SDLX, no problem.. the 2 software are working ideally with each other.

One more IMPORTANT thing.. Trados is more expensive than SDLX, and you know that the Budget has become one of our families

Kind regards,

Ahmad Hassaballa
English/German/Arabic Translator
DTP Specialist


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jeana Clark  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:00
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice. Aug 30, 2005

Ahmad Hassaballa wrote:

Hello,

If you'd like a simple CAT tool with no more features, your choice will be SDLX. SDLX has also a great feature which is so faster than Trados especially with big texts (it's recommended for websites translation, because it saves the formatting much better). Yet, if you have the desire to do much more with the CAT tool you use, you'll then purchase Trados. It's the strongest CAT tool ever among SDLX, STAR Transit, and others.

Even if you purchase SDLX, no problem.. the 2 software are working ideally with each other.

One more IMPORTANT thing.. Trados is more expensive than SDLX, and you know that the Budget has become one of our families

Kind regards,

Ahmad Hassaballa
English/German/Arabic Translator
DTP Specialist


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jeana Clark  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:00
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. I'll take your advice into consideration. Aug 30, 2005

smorales30 wrote:

Hi,

I haven't tried SDL but I have Trados 7 and it works perfectly. Although my favorite CAT tool is still Deja Vu, I think Trados is what most agencies work with (especially US-based agencies) so my suggestion would be that.

Silvia


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jeana Clark  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:00
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Aug 30, 2005

MarcPrior wrote:

Try the demo versions of both.

Marc


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:00
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
How does SDLX save formatting better ? Aug 30, 2005

Ahmad Hassaballa wrote:
SDLX ...(it's recommended for websites translation, because it saves the formatting much better).
DTP Specialist

Could you please explain this point? Do you mean that SDLX protects the codes against changes better than Tageditor, or that Trados might actually change htmls codes itself?

Luca


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxBrandis
Local time: 20:00
English to German
+ ...
Don´t think SDLX is better than Trados Aug 31, 2005

Luca Tutino wrote:

Ahmad Hassaballa wrote:
SDLX ...(it's recommended for websites translation, because it saves the formatting much better).
DTP Specialist

Could you please explain this point? Do you mean that SDLX protects the codes against changes better than Tageditor, or that Trados might actually change htmls codes itself?

Luca
Tag Editor does a clean job and still the best in the branch. Best Brandis


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Robert Trzaska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:00
English to Polish
+ ...
SDLX vs TRADOS Aug 31, 2005

[quote]Luca Tutino wrote:

Could you please explain this point? Do you mean that SDLX protects the codes against changes better than Tageditor, or that Trados might actually change htmls codes itself?

I know that my situation may be a little outdated (I still use Office 97, with Trados 6.5 and SDLX 2003, all in Windows 2000) but in my circumstances SDLX is the superior tool. It is more stable and almost never causes any trouble. Maybe my Word is responsible for that but when I work with Trados Workbanch (not TagEditor) I often have to stop and solve some problems (formatting, conflict with other applications, nasty surprise during cleaning up process when you work against the deadline, etc.). Nothing like that with SDLX.

I heard that the latest version of Trados does not work with Office 97 any more, so bear it in mind if you belong to stingy dinosaurs like me who refuse to make Bill Gates rich.

On the other hand, I have to admit that my Trados has a better fuzzy match search in case of individual words than my SDLX. Polish is a declension language and this is a real pain. I heard, however, that this is improved starting from SDLX 2004 version and up.

A friend of mine also praises the latest Trados option of choosing many glossaries while SDLX is limited to two only. He is a real expert in CAT tools, uses a few of them regularly and SDLX is still the preferred one. But I want to stress that this is a matter of preference. I do not want to start another verbal battle of CAT users which often lasts for weeks


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jeana Clark  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:00
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your in-depth review. Aug 31, 2005

[quote]Robert Trzaska wrote:

Luca Tutino wrote:

Could you please explain this point? Do you mean that SDLX protects the codes against changes better than Tageditor, or that Trados might actually change htmls codes itself?

I know that my situation may be a little outdated (I still use Office 97, with Trados 6.5 and SDLX 2003, all in Windows 2000) but in my circumstances SDLX is the superior tool. It is more stable and almost never causes any trouble. Maybe my Word is responsible for that but when I work with Trados Workbanch (not TagEditor) I often have to stop and solve some problems (formatting, conflict with other applications, nasty surprise during cleaning up process when you work against the deadline, etc.). Nothing like that with SDLX.

I heard that the latest version of Trados does not work with Office 97 any more, so bear it in mind if you belong to stingy dinosaurs like me who refuse to make Bill Gates rich.

On the other hand, I have to admit that my Trados has a better fuzzy match search in case of individual words than my SDLX. Polish is a declension language and this is a real pain. I heard, however, that this is improved starting from SDLX 2004 version and up.

A friend of mine also praises the latest Trados option of choosing many glossaries while SDLX is limited to two only. He is a real expert in CAT tools, uses a few of them regularly and SDLX is still the preferred one. But I want to stress that this is a matter of preference. I do not want to start another verbal battle of CAT users which often lasts for weeks


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:00
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
SDLX preserves the code as is, while TagEditor puts its own tags Sep 1, 2005

Hello Robert,

The matter is that TagEditor puts its own tags inside the file, so if you want to edit the source HTM or HTML file any time through the Notepad, you'll face a huge number of unknown tags, and you'll, unfortunately, spend a good time to find the tag which is representing the problem.
SDLX, however, is much better in this point particlualry, as you usually don't face such problem. BUT, be careful when converting SDLX files to TagEditor ones.. this will lead to a very good headache that will last for a week

Kind reegards,

Ahmad

[quote]Robert Trzaska wrote:

Luca Tutino wrote:

Could you please explain this point? Do you mean that SDLX protects the codes against changes better than Tageditor, or that Trados might actually change htmls codes itself?

I know that my situation may be a little outdated (I still use Office 97, with Trados 6.5 and SDLX 2003, all in Windows 2000) but in my circumstances SDLX is the superior tool. It is more stable and almost never causes any trouble. Maybe my Word is responsible for that but when I work with Trados Workbanch (not TagEditor) I often have to stop and solve some problems (formatting, conflict with other applications, nasty surprise during cleaning up process when you work against the deadline, etc.). Nothing like that with SDLX.

I heard that the latest version of Trados does not work with Office 97 any more, so bear it in mind if you belong to stingy dinosaurs like me who refuse to make Bill Gates rich.

On the other hand, I have to admit that my Trados has a better fuzzy match search in case of individual words than my SDLX. Polish is a declension language and this is a real pain. I heard, however, that this is improved starting from SDLX 2004 version and up.

A friend of mine also praises the latest Trados option of choosing many glossaries while SDLX is limited to two only. He is a real expert in CAT tools, uses a few of them regularly and SDLX is still the preferred one. But I want to stress that this is a matter of preference. I do not want to start another verbal battle of CAT users which often lasts for weeks


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Purchase Trados 7 or SDLX 2005?

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs