Anybody working in Logoport?
Thread poster: Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
English to Swedish
Jul 25, 2006

Hello,

Logoport is an online CAT tools that was bought by Lionbridge sometime in 2005.

About a year ago I started a thread asking if anybody had been working with Logoport in the forum Smart Shoppers:
http://www.proz.com/post/212564#212564

There were about 5 replies.

Doing a search in the Forums Logoport is mentioned only 21 times, and in no
... See more
Hello,

Logoport is an online CAT tools that was bought by Lionbridge sometime in 2005.

About a year ago I started a thread asking if anybody had been working with Logoport in the forum Smart Shoppers:
http://www.proz.com/post/212564#212564

There were about 5 replies.

Doing a search in the Forums Logoport is mentioned only 21 times, and in none of the articles in the Article knowledgledatabase.

In information I recieved from Lionbridge in November 2005 it said: ”This technology has been in production at Lionbridge for more than 24 months with more than 3,500 users translating over 100 million words.”

On July 17 this year (2006) the following can be read in a press release from Lionbridge:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060717/nem029.html?.v=51

”Largest web-based multilingual data repository in the world now securely manages and dynamically updates up to 1.5 million words a day for Lionbridge clients”

” More than 1,000 unique daily users from multiple countries generate more than 40 million database queries per hour with no degradation to system performance.”

”The platform has scaled well and now processes about 1.5 million words per day.”

This seems like an awful lot of users and words processed with this tool, therefore I am puzzled why it is not mentioned more often on ProZ. It would be very interesting to hear from translators using this tool, and what they think of it.

(I have also proposed a Quick Poll regarding this.)

Best regards,
Cecilia

[Edited at 2006-07-25 14:44]
Collapse

Vauwe
Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
Don't believe in numbers Jul 25, 2006

When Lionbridge bought Logoport (because the competitor SDL bought Trados) they forced everybody to use Logoport to make this tool profitable. They expelled other tools like LionLinguist and Trados. The result was that the servers soon broke down and translators complained about long down times and bad throughputs. The server situation is better now, but Logoport is only used for very large ongoing projects and in countries where translators have fast and relaible access to the internet.
Y
... See more
When Lionbridge bought Logoport (because the competitor SDL bought Trados) they forced everybody to use Logoport to make this tool profitable. They expelled other tools like LionLinguist and Trados. The result was that the servers soon broke down and translators complained about long down times and bad throughputs. The server situation is better now, but Logoport is only used for very large ongoing projects and in countries where translators have fast and relaible access to the internet.
You don't hear too much here at proz.com because a) Lionbridge works mainly with agencies and not with single translators; b) Logoport is as simple as Trados. If you can work with Trados you can also handle Logoport.
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Vauwe Jul 25, 2006

Vauwe wrote:

You don't hear too much here at proz.com because a) Lionbridge works mainly with agencies and not with single translators; b) Logoport is as simple as Trados. If you can work with Trados you can also handle Logoport.

Also, if you are a bit handy with your CAT tools you can do your translation in Trados and find and replace the coding to suit LogoPort at the end. Suits me fine.

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Be careful! Jul 25, 2006

I Have a client that bought Logoport before it was bought-out by Lionbridge.

We do a fair number of projects for this client, and the tool is very similar to Trados if you have a fast Internet conection.

The downside is that the client keeps the TM, because it is resident in their server. My understanding of Lionbridge's verson is that they get to keep your TM in their server.

All in all, a losing proposition. I'd stay with Trados.
Regards

... See more
I Have a client that bought Logoport before it was bought-out by Lionbridge.

We do a fair number of projects for this client, and the tool is very similar to Trados if you have a fast Internet conection.

The downside is that the client keeps the TM, because it is resident in their server. My understanding of Lionbridge's verson is that they get to keep your TM in their server.

All in all, a losing proposition. I'd stay with Trados.
Regards

Ricardo
Collapse

Vauwe
Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
When will LB buy SDL? Jul 25, 2006

My guess is Lionbridge will sooner or later buy SDL to get rid of the last big competitor and to get Trados. Last year they bought Bowne, when will they buy SDL?

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I did a year ago Jul 26, 2006

For your "statistics".

At this moment, however, I don't work for the client that asked me to work with Logoport.
I prefer Trados, I have to say.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I did, for 2 projects - very similar to Trados Jul 26, 2006

I worked with Logoport for a couple of projects for which the client requested it.

Very similar to Trados, it presented no difficulty whatsoever.

Roberta

Xiangdong Zhuo
Xiangdong Zhuo
China
Local time: 20:33
English to Chinese
It works very well for large project Aug 2, 2006

I used Logoport in several projects as per requirement of an agency. It streamlines the management of large project and simplify the participation of various translator all over the world.

Even better, It is free for both translators and agencies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anybody working in Logoport?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »