https://www.proz.com/forum/localization/68074-sisulizer_localization_tool_is_it_worth_it.html

Sisulizer localization tool - is it worth it?
Thread poster: tanyazst
tanyazst
tanyazst
Belarus
Local time: 22:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 12, 2007

I was wondering if anyone has tried this localization tool and if you think it is worth investing into?

I have tried the evaluation version briefly, and so far I have had problems trying to add the MS glossary as a translation memory (tried it as an Excel file and an Access database). Also, sometimes it doesn't use the translations added to the memory - I couldn't quite figure out the pattern for that.

Any feedback on Sisulizer?

[Subject edited
... See more
I was wondering if anyone has tried this localization tool and if you think it is worth investing into?

I have tried the evaluation version briefly, and so far I have had problems trying to add the MS glossary as a translation memory (tried it as an Excel file and an Access database). Also, sometimes it doesn't use the translations added to the memory - I couldn't quite figure out the pattern for that.

Any feedback on Sisulizer?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-13 09:04]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If I understand correctly... Mar 12, 2007

tanyazst wrote:

If I understand correctly from the info on the site, Sisulizer is a tool for programmers (and possibly agencies), and not freelancers.

When Sisulizer generates a file to be sent to the translator, it actually bundles a "freelance version" into the file itself, so that the translator can install it and work on it. Do I understand this correctly?

tanyazst
tanyazst
Belarus
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, that's right, Mar 13, 2007

my customer is thinking of buying it, but from the translator's point of view I didn't find it that convenient.

I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with it.

JennyC08 (X)
JennyC08 (X)
Local time: 15:55
German to French
+ ...
Similar to Catalyst Mar 13, 2007

Hi,

I had a look at their website and find the functions similar to Catalyst. I have no experience with Sisulizer, but I have some with Catalyst. I really like the latter as I find it very convenient to translate software strings and see them in context. I like the function that allows to propagate the translation accross the files, but the downside of such a tool is that there's not TM as such.

HTH

Cheers,

Caroline

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Export and import Mar 14, 2007

tanyazst wrote:
My customer is thinking of buying it, but from the translator's point of view I didn't find it that convenient.

You can export existing translations as tabbed CSV, Excel and TMX. You can also import translations. I haven't played a lot with the import function, but it appears that the translator (or perhaps the client) can export the source text to plaintext and then the translator can translated it in his own tool, and then simply import it back into the program again (and afterwards perhaps check the strings individually in context).

Renate Reinartz
Renate Reinartz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Sisulizer can import MS Glossary Apr 30, 2007

tanyazst wrote:

Please let me know what problems you have. I'm sure we can sort them out.

Renate (Sisulizer)

Renate Reinartz
Germany
English to German
Sisulizer supports binary localization Apr 30, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
If I understand correctly from the info on the site, Sisulizer is a tool for programmers (and possibly agencies), and not freelancers.

Yes, and no. Typically the software developer creates a Sisulizer project and scans the source files.
But Sisulizer typically works on binaries, like exe files, HTML Help files, web sites... Depending on the source it can make sense that the freelancer creates an own project without developer.

When Sisulizer generates a file to be sent to the translator, it actually bundles a "freelance version" into the file itself, so that the translator can install it and work on it. Do I understand this correctly?

Yes, you do.

Renate (Sisulizer)

Renate Reinartz
Germany
English to German
Usability Apr 30, 2007

tanyazst wrote:

my customer is thinking of buying it, but from the translator's point of view I didn't find it that convenient.

Hm, can you give me some details? We are always working hard to improve usability. Which source files did you want to localize? Are there any special options you are missing?

I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with it.

Sure, I use Sisulizer for localization, and I'm happy to help.

Renate Reinartz
Germany
English to German
Export/Import Excel, TMX Apr 30, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
You can export existing translations as tabbed CSV, Excel and TMX. You can also import translations. I haven't played a lot with the import function, but it appears that the translator (or perhaps the client) can export the source text to plaintext and then the translator can translated it in his own tool, and then simply import it back into the program again (and afterwards perhaps check the strings individually in context).

Thank you for pointing this out. You are right, Sisulizer has this export and import functions to give the user this chance. Anyway, I prefer to localize in a WYSIWYG editor with context, just like Sisulizer provides. At least for software localization I find translating w/o context to hard.
And you can use Sisulizer's integrated TM as well.
Hope this helps.

tanyazst
tanyazst
Belarus
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS glossary import May 2, 2007

Dear Renate,

Thank you so much for your willingness to help!

We did complete the localization of that project with Sisulizer, and overall it was pretty good, it actually grew on me by the end of the process

From what I can remember, some of the issues we ran into were as follows:

1. We had the original project (.NET) that I localized. After the source files had been changed, I
... See more
Dear Renate,

We did complete the localization of that project with Sisulizer, and overall it was pretty good, it actually grew on me by the end of the process

From what I can remember, some of the issues we ran into were as follows:

1. We had the original project (.NET) that I localized. After the source files had been changed, I did the update of the project. In one of the 'source files' Sisulizer jumbled up translations for some reason, so I had to basically re-do this whole file. We did a number of updates after that as well, and there were no more such problems.

2. I tried to import the MS glossary and use it as a 'translation engine' (MS Access database), but it wouldn't 'grab' the translations. The help file wasn't very helpful. It described what should have happened, but it didn't, and I still don't know if I haven't set it up completely or what the problem was.

If you could help me sort these issues up, that would be great, 'cause it looks like a pretty good tool.
Collapse

Renate Reinartz
Germany
English to German
MS Glossary and .Net May 2, 2007

Dear Tanya,
tanyazst wrote:

You are welcome.

Glad to here, that Sisulizer works good for you.

1. We had the original project (.NET) that I localized. After the source files had been changed, I did the update of the project. In one of the 'source files' Sisulizer jumbled up translations for some reason, so I had to basically re-do this whole file. We did a number of updates after that as well, and there were no more such problems.

Hm, without the project file it is hard to say why this happens. It is the first time that I hear a problem with rescan, and we would be happy to sort it out. Do you have still the files in the state where the problem occured? That would help a lot.

In any case, whenever you run into a problem, please don't hesitate to visit our support forum at www.sisulizer.net. It is free, you don't need to be a registered Sisulizer user to get your questions answered. And it is fast way to get help because our developers are there, too.

2. I tried to import the MS glossary and use it as a 'translation engine' (MS Access database), but it wouldn't 'grab' the translations. The help file wasn't very helpful. It described what should have happened, but it didn't, and I still don't know if I haven't set it up completely or what the problem was.

The MS Glossary is - depending on the language pair - quite useful for the standard menus and buttons, standard error messages, and stuff like this. Anyway it is not perfect as Translation Engine because in Sisulizer segments are typically UI element captions, or resource strings. So the segments may be different. But if you have concrete issues where the result is different from what you expected, please send me a sample, or screen shot.

Further segmentation, eg on paragraphs (I mean linguistic sentences), is actually supported for other source file types like XML, or HTML and HTML Help files. Sisulizer supports segmentation rule exchange format (SRX), too.

If you could help me sort these issues up, that would be great, 'cause it looks like a pretty good tool.

It is, and we are getting better from day to day because of the valuable input of our fast growing user base. If you provide sample files by e-mail renate.reinartz (at) sisulizer dot com I will be happy to solve your issues. Thank you for your help. Renate

[Bearbeitet am 2007-05-02 12:51]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sisulizer localization tool - is it worth it?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »