How to extract the text from *.rc files?
Thread poster: Fabrice -
Fabrice -
Fabrice -
Local time: 07:03
English to French
+ ...
May 23, 2007

I have to submit some text to translation but the text is in the middle of code as below

"DLG_COMM DIALOG 3000, 3000, 300, 150
STYLE ABS ALIGN | SET FONT | MODAL FRAME | 3D LOOK | WS_POPUP |
WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU
CAPTION "Comment"
FONT 10, "MS Shell Dlg"
BEGIN
LTEXT "Comment",4,7,7,200,14,CENTER IMAGE
EDITTEXT 5,7,25,200,100, MULTI LINE | AUTO V SCROLL |
AUTO H SCROLL | WANT RETURN
... See more
I have to submit some text to translation but the text is in the middle of code as below

"DLG_COMM DIALOG 3000, 3000, 300, 150
STYLE ABS ALIGN | SET FONT | MODAL FRAME | 3D LOOK | WS_POPUP |
WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU
CAPTION "Comment"
FONT 10, "MS Shell Dlg"
BEGIN
LTEXT "Comment",4,7,7,200,14,CENTER IMAGE
EDITTEXT 5,7,25,200,100, MULTI LINE | AUTO V SCROLL |
AUTO H SCROLL | WANT RETURN | WS_VSCROLL | WS_GROUP
END"

How could I export only the text between " " for translation and then reimport it?
Collapse

Fabrice -
Fabrice -
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rainbow 4 May 24, 2007

Found that Rainbow 4 would allow me to extract the text from rc files in xlf format and then reimport it, is this the best option? are there better tools to do it?

Also how can I copy the text to an excel table without all the markup?

Stéphan Goldsmith
Stéphan Goldsmith
Local time: 10:03
English to French
+ ...
Trados TagEditor supports .RC files May 24, 2007

If the translator you are planning to work with is using Trados, he will be able to edit the RC files directly. TagEditor will extract the text and lock the code.

I don't know Rainbow 4 but there are other tools out there like PASSOLO or Catalyst that have powerful export/import functions. These applications are not on the cheap side, so if it is a one time project, you might be better off using Rainbow 4 and have that XLF file edited with a regular translation tool.

Fabrice -
Fabrice -
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Couldn't open the rc file with TagEditor May 24, 2007

I have an old version of Trados 6.5, and I got an error message when I tried to open the rc file with TagEditor.
Not sure if this would occur with the latest version.

I actually have 2 reasons for wanting to export the text from rc files

First one is cost, the translation company we are working with is charging us to manage the rc files and extract the text in rtf format for their translators. So doing the exporting and importing ourselves will save us some money
... See more
I have an old version of Trados 6.5, and I got an error message when I tried to open the rc file with TagEditor.
Not sure if this would occur with the latest version.

I actually have 2 reasons for wanting to export the text from rc files

First one is cost, the translation company we are working with is charging us to manage the rc files and extract the text in rtf format for their translators. So doing the exporting and importing ourselves will save us some money on the long term.

The second reason is I want to be able to compile a complete text database with all the languages, this is for easy reference when a text length issue arise, rather than having to open each each rc file for each language to check a string length.

I am not to familiar with Catalyst and have never heard of Passolo before.

Would either be able to generate a text database from either rtf, xlf or even the rc files?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I use MS Word and Wordfast May 24, 2007

Fabrice Renaud wrote:
How could I export only the text between " " for translation and then reimport it?

I don't export and import it. I open it in MS Word, and then I use MS Word's find/replace function to mark untranslatable text as tw4winExternal. Then I translate it with Wordfast, do a clean up, and save as plaintext again.

I see you want to give the text to other translators. Well, what you can do, is to turn the file into a multicolumn tab delimited file (or into a table).

Open it in MS Word and do this:

1. First, remove all tabs (find ^t, replace [nothing]).
2. Add tabs before and after quotes (find ", replace ^t"^t)
3. Remove incorrect tabs (find \^t"^t, replace \")

Now turn it into a table, or copy it to Excel, or open it in a CSV editor (with "tab" and not "quote" as the delimiter). Save the file somewhere, then put the column with the translatable text somewhere in a new file, and send it to your translators.

Fabrice -
Fabrice -
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Purchasing software is not an issue May 24, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

I don't export and import it. I open it in MS Word, and then I use MS Word's find/replace function to mark untranslatable text as tw4winExternal. Then I translate it with Wordfast, do a clean up, and save as plaintext again.

I see you want to give the text to other translators. Well, what you can do, is to turn the file into a multicolumn tab delimited file (or into a table).

Open it in MS Word and do this:

1. First, remove all tabs (find ^t, replace [nothing]).
2. Add tabs before and after quotes (find ", replace ^t"^t)
3. Remove incorrect tabs (find \^t"^t, replace \")

Now turn it into a table, or copy it to Excel, or open it in a CSV editor (with "tab" and not "quote" as the delimiter). Save the file somewhere, then put the column with the translatable text somewhere in a new file, and send it to your translators.

Thanks for the suggestion Samuel, but I am looking for an automated solution.

I am working in localization for a software company, so purchasing software is not an issue as long it does everything I need it to do.

At the moment I am still unsure what tools I should be using, aside from rc files I am also dealing with robohelp, framemaker , indesign and dita files.

[Edited at 2007-05-25 00:03]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to extract the text from *.rc files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »