Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 1, 2007

G'day everyone

I'm using a trial version of Trados 2007 and I've tried to convert an XLIFF file to TTX using their bundled XliffConvert.exe utility. However, the utility tells me that the conversion fails.

Interestingly, SDLX does accept the XLIFF file (but it seems that SDLX simply treats the file as XML).

Any ideas how I can coax Trados into converting my file?

Thanks!

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
As far as I know, no need for a utility Oct 1, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day everyone

I'm using a trial version of Trados 2007 and I've tried to convert an XLIFF file to TTX using their bundled XliffConvert.exe utility. However, the utility tells me that the conversion fails.

Interestingly, SDLX does accept the XLIFF file (but it seems that SDLX simply treats the file as XML).

Any ideas how I can coax Trados into converting my file?

Thanks!

There is a utility that converts from/to SDLX, not Trados. But I don't like the way it works, tags are not protected.

To have a TTX from a XLIFF file, first perform a transformation on the XLIFF file to copy source to target when target is empty, this is required because TagEditor ignores the source tags and works with the target tags only. The translator has to skip segments which already have a translation and has to work with the untranslated ones.

A transformation sheet for that is in the Files section of the okapitools list at yahoogroups.

Simply open the transformed XLIFF file in TagEditor and save to create a TTX file.

HTH

Piotr

[Edited at 2007-10-01 20:58]

Matardos
Matardos  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:26
French to Spanish
Copy source to empty target in xliff file XLF May 29, 2012

Hi,
I have to copy source to empty target in a XLF file (xliff), to be able to work it in TagEditor (trados 2007).
I dont know how to do this, since I only have the XLF file with the target empty.
Is there any software to do this ?
Thanks !

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:26
English to Spanish
Use Swordfish to copy source May 29, 2012

Open the XLIFF file in Swordfish and select "Copy Sources to All Empty Targets" in "Tasks" menu.

Regards,
Rodolfo

SoerenB
SoerenB  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Most CAT tools automatically populate the target with source if empty May 30, 2012

Surprised why this is not so in Trados. But as you have now learned Swordfish or similar can be used to do this.

Fwiw also open source tools such as OpenTM2 - http://www.opentm2.org - will automatically populate the target element with the content of the source element if the target is empty (use markup table eqfxliff). So even if you did not wish to translate the file in OpenTM2, you could use that
... See more
Surprised why this is not so in Trados. But as you have now learned Swordfish or similar can be used to do this.

Fwiw also open source tools such as OpenTM2 - http://www.opentm2.org - will automatically populate the target element with the content of the source element if the target is empty (use markup table eqfxliff). So even if you did not wish to translate the file in OpenTM2, you could use that CAT tool to autopopulate your XLIFF files, then export them from OpenTM2 and then translate in your preferred CAT environment.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados can't read my XLIFF file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »