Thread poster: cunninglinguist
cunninglinguist
cunninglinguist
Netherlands
Local time: 04:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2003

I\'m interested in your opinion on Trados Workspace. What are the pros and cons, what is needed to make it work succesfully? Any other comments are welcome!

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:20
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I-vent been able to use it yet! Feb 13, 2003

I used Trados for every single translation, but I\'m never been able to use the workspace. What\'s it for? I don\'t know yet. I\'ve asked it here in the Spanish forum, and no body answered. It seems it\'s useless. I wish someone could give a different opinion.

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Workspace is the Trados project management solution Feb 13, 2003

Workspace allows users to send a \"translation package\" containing files to be translated, memory and a termbase. Seems like a good idea, however I have to admit that I found the whole thing just a tad confusing when I was confronted wtih a workspace package for the first time.

Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:20
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
As Alison says, Feb 13, 2003

it\'s for project management. So you can use it, for example, to track the status of your translation project (whether it\'s still at project setup phase, or in translation, or due for review). I guess it helps if you are working on several projects at the same time.

cunninglinguist
cunninglinguist
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think you got me wrong. Feb 13, 2003

I know what it\'s for, I\'m interested in your experiences with the program. Sorry if I didn\'t make myself clear.

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 21:20
English to German
Trados WorkSpace Feb 13, 2003

I am using it extensively for day to day work for a few years now, and so far I have not run into any issues. It suits me perfectly, because when adding \"languages on the fly\" you have a good base to start and you maintain version consistency.

I am using the Professional Version and the Freelance Version and this applies to both.

HTH

Uwe

Frank Bremster
Frank Bremster  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:20
German
+ ...
Workspace use Feb 13, 2003

I use Workspace regularly for larger projects, which include multiple files and references.

Advantage:

- Everything in one place (you can directly access any Trados function without leaving Workspace)

- Up to date status (when kept properly)

- Central management of files in differnt folders (directories etc.)

- When setup properly, Workspace will keep any files in any status (e.g. uncleaned files)

- Enables you to convert mif
... See more
I use Workspace regularly for larger projects, which include multiple files and references.

Advantage:

- Everything in one place (you can directly access any Trados function without leaving Workspace)

- Up to date status (when kept properly)

- Central management of files in differnt folders (directories etc.)

- When setup properly, Workspace will keep any files in any status (e.g. uncleaned files)

- Enables you to convert mif files from the original to rtf and back again, with 100% accuracy.

Disadvantage:

- Setup needs a doctorial thesis and at least several hours to read the (reallly horrific) manual

- Worksspace creates several subdirectories, which have to be deleted manually, when you delet the project in workspace, as it only deletes the reference to the project there.

- Redundant information (see advantages, copy of uncleaned files)

- Crashes sometimes

- Does not allow you to open Finereader 6 when Workspace is open (at least on my computer).

Summary:

I would use it only for projects, which included more than one or two files and/or where you have to transform mifs or the like.

The project setup takes quite a while, even if you know what you are doing. It\'s not worth the hassle for some .docs.

Take some time (at least 3 hours) to learn how setup works (as I said above, the documentation s*c*s)

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-13 18:34]
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
My Workspace 5.5 does not open at all! Feb 13, 2003

I know how to use Workspace of Trados 5.0 Free-lance, but never managed to use it: even with larger projects and several hundreds of files all functions could be performed by proper (and simpler) setting of Windows and a few good file management tools.

Lately I translated PageMaker files, and I managed to obtain Mif files from the client. I opened Workspace, managed to configure and run it, and obtained a message saying that Workspace can only use Mif files from PM up to ver
... See more
I know how to use Workspace of Trados 5.0 Free-lance, but never managed to use it: even with larger projects and several hundreds of files all functions could be performed by proper (and simpler) setting of Windows and a few good file management tools.

Lately I translated PageMaker files, and I managed to obtain Mif files from the client. I opened Workspace, managed to configure and run it, and obtained a message saying that Workspace can only use Mif files from PM up to version 6 !!

As my .mif files came from PM7 I decided to install my copy Trados 5.5, downloaded and run the migration, obtained password and downloaded and run the large patch (!), only to find out that:

1. WorkSpace of Trados 5.5 CANNOT manage PM7 mif files. It needs a special \"upgrade\" that is FOR SALE on Trados site and costs a significant amount. But it will not be of any use as soon as the new versions of Trados (and of PM) will be out.

2. WorkSpace 5.5 displays the splash screen and DOES NOT RUN on my PC. Trados helpdesk exchanged 4 messages in a couple of weeks, but offered absolutely no solution yet. In the mean time my (very good) client decided to do without mif files, accepted a simple word translation and redid DTP from scratch.

Summary

As I trusted Workspace advertised features, I am now afraid that a client for whom I happily translated a lot in the last 3 years could start looking for a new translator

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-13 22:15]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not using it at all Feb 13, 2003

I have been using Trados tools for more than seven years - the only thing I discarded (after having used it once...) is Workspace.

Frank Bremster
German
+ ...
Just change it Feb 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-13 22:03, ITS wrote:

Lately I translated PageMaker files, and I managed to obtain Mif files from the client. I opened Workspace, managed to configure and run it, and obtained a message saying that Workspace can only use Mif files from PM up to version 6 !!

[ This Message was edited byn2003-02-13 22:15]

... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-13 22:03, ITS wrote:

[ This Message was edited byn2003-02-13 22:15]

I had the same problem with Framemaker 7 files.

There are two solutions:

1. Buy a plugin (new!) for about $100 (what we call chutzpa around here)

or

2. Open the mif in any text editor and change the version in the first line form 7 to 6. Works great (by the way, this was a tip from Trados support).

Regarding your other problems, you should mention my name at Trados. Sounds like a problem I had. For some reason, I am not able to find the solution anymore, but I remember that it had to with WINDOWS and not Trados. Just tell them to check, if your problem could be related to Frank Bremsters (that`s me) about three month ago.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-13 23:10] ▲ Collapse

Frank Bremster
German
+ ...
Mifs? Feb 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-13 22:19, Lemster wrote:

I have been using Trados tools for more than seven years - the only thing I discarded (after having used it once...) is Workspace.

Hi Ralf,

out of curiosity, how do you handle mifs, if you don\'t use Workspace?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I don't... Feb 19, 2003

Hallo Frank,

Quote:
out of curiosity, how do you handle mifs, if you don\'t use Workspace?

I doubt whether most of my customers would know what a .mif file is...

Seriously: most of what we do is in Word, with approx. 10% each in HTML/XML and Quark XPress.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:20
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Workspace has been dropped May 30, 2003

Trados has turned around and the latest version 6.0 comes with the following news:

- Workspace will be discontinued, it can be used with the version 5.5 but not the version 6.0
- TRADOS will stop supporting this application at the end of 2003.
- It is recommended to finalise WorkSpace projects as soon as possible.

Good! They got it, at last! I never got the point of that clumsy interface and I always used the applications without bothering with the Wo
... See more
Trados has turned around and the latest version 6.0 comes with the following news:

- Workspace will be discontinued, it can be used with the version 5.5 but not the version 6.0
- TRADOS will stop supporting this application at the end of 2003.
- It is recommended to finalise WorkSpace projects as soon as possible.

Good! They got it, at last! I never got the point of that clumsy interface and I always used the applications without bothering with the WorkSpace wrapping around them.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-05-30 08:02]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

experience with Trados Workspace?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »