Thread poster: Sergey
Sergey
Sergey
United States
Local time: 16:51
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 21, 2001

I am kind of new to localization, though have done a lot of translation.

The issue that I am struggling right now is using my keyboard for accented characters.

I am using a US Internaional keyboard. And my OS is Windows (2000 or 98 - I don\'t think there is a big difference...).

The problem is how to type let\'s say French accented upper case characters?

Does it depend on the application I am using or this can be done through keyboard setup? Or this canno
... See more
I am kind of new to localization, though have done a lot of translation.

The issue that I am struggling right now is using my keyboard for accented characters.

I am using a US Internaional keyboard. And my OS is Windows (2000 or 98 - I don\'t think there is a big difference...).

The problem is how to type let\'s say French accented upper case characters?

Does it depend on the application I am using or this can be done through keyboard setup? Or this cannot be done in any way and I should order a French standard keyboard and buy a French version of Windows?
Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:51
German to English
+ ...
Several possibilities... Dec 21, 2001

First you have to install the respective language to your program. You can do that in your English program. I have for example German and Japanese installed.

Open the control panel, go to keyboard, languages and then add the languages you like (you need the CD at this time).

When working, you push just SHIFT and ALT at the same time and toggle between the languages. At this time a small blue square with the respective language acronym appears in the low
... See more
First you have to install the respective language to your program. You can do that in your English program. I have for example German and Japanese installed.

Open the control panel, go to keyboard, languages and then add the languages you like (you need the CD at this time).

When working, you push just SHIFT and ALT at the same time and toggle between the languages. At this time a small blue square with the respective language acronym appears in the lower right corner of the screen (e.g. \"En\" for English, \"De\" for Deutsch (German)).

The keyboard layout will be that of the selected language, so you need an image of that keyboard. Otherwise it is quite confusing. For example, my keyboard in German exchanges the Z and the Y keys, and has many characters on different positions. It is even more confusing with Japanese, as you may imagine. So if you work a lot in these languages, it might be advisable to buy a keyboard. But from own experience I can tell that you become accustomed to the layout pretty quickly.

Another possibility for inputting just single or a few characters in another language is to push ALT and enter the ASCII code with the number key pad (e.g. ~ is 0126, the \"@\" is 064, etc.). but then you need a list which you can find on the Net.

HTH

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-21 04:44 ]
Collapse

French Locale
French Locale
Local time: 01:51
English to French
+ ...
Charmap.exe Dec 21, 2001

Hello,

Do you know charmap.exe? It\'s normally located in Accessories. If not, just choose Start, Run... charmap and it should open. Then, it\'s just a question of copy and paste.

The main codes for French accented characters are : Alt+0201 for É, Alt+0200 for È, Alt+0202 for Ê, Alt+0199 for Ç, Alt+0192 for À... In the characters map, if you just select an accented character, it will show the ASCII code required.

Hope this helps
... See more
Hello,

Do you know charmap.exe? It\'s normally located in Accessories. If not, just choose Start, Run... charmap and it should open. Then, it\'s just a question of copy and paste.

The main codes for French accented characters are : Alt+0201 for É, Alt+0200 for È, Alt+0202 for Ê, Alt+0199 for Ç, Alt+0192 for À... In the characters map, if you just select an accented character, it will show the ASCII code required.

Hope this helps

Véronique
Collapse

Giovanna Lester
Giovanna Lester  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:51
Portuguese to English
+ ...
This feature is standard in MS-Word Dec 24, 2001

Open your Word document. Go to TOOL menu, select OPTIONS, go to EDIT and the options you are looking for (Allow accented upper case in French) will be found on the right hand side of the window.

I write in Portuguese a lot and always check that window before I start using my computer (very first day I get it

Good luck. Gio

Piotr Turski
Piotr Turski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:51
Member (2003)
English to Polish
+ ...
Keyboard shortcuts Jan 5, 2002

I\'m sure you know this simple procedure in MS-Word:

for e aigu - press simultanously Ctrl and \' then release the keys and press the e key;

for e grave - press simultanously Ctrl and ` then release the keys and press e; and so on.

For e circumflexe the combination is Ctrl ^ (you must press Ctrl, Shift and 6 simultanously);

for cedile it is Ctrl , (comma).

Beatriz Garmendia
Beatriz Garmendia  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Visual keyboard Mar 19, 2002

You can also view the keyboard for the other language if you have already installed additional keyboard layout in Control Panel>Keyboard.

Go to Programs>Microsoft office tools>Microsoft Visual Keyboard. It will show you a keyboard for another language on your screen.

I hope this help you.

Yaotl Altan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization and equipment.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »