Montefiore
Montefiore  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 27, 2003

I know that this site has forums on localization, but I waas unable to find anything truly instructive there. I would like to find out what is the easiest, simplest, cheapest, or any OTHER way to learn working with translation in HTML, and whether it\'s the same as the wretched term \"localization,\" and I am asking that not because I am totally illiterate, but I would like to know if there is a great uncovered mystery hidden, or whether it\'s actually easy to accomplish on one\'s own - by askin... See more
I know that this site has forums on localization, but I waas unable to find anything truly instructive there. I would like to find out what is the easiest, simplest, cheapest, or any OTHER way to learn working with translation in HTML, and whether it\'s the same as the wretched term \"localization,\" and I am asking that not because I am totally illiterate, but I would like to know if there is a great uncovered mystery hidden, or whether it\'s actually easy to accomplish on one\'s own - by asking someone well versed in FrontPage, etc., show you how to manipulate it in your language. Or, is this a naive question? ALl I want is the utmost clarity and a sense of direction in which you suggest I should be going. Thank you, everyone who wants to participate!Collapse

Michael Tovbin
Michael Tovbin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:52
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
HTML is only a part of it Feb 27, 2003

The easiest way, I understand, is to use one of the better translation memory packages (such as DejaVu), which will pluck HTML out of the Web pages and just shows you the text.

Translation of HTML is just one type of localization. There are also GUI translation, help file translation, string translation within code.

In all these cases, it is very helpful of you can read the actual code (HTML tags, Java or C++ code, etc.). This will give you a better und
... See more
The easiest way, I understand, is to use one of the better translation memory packages (such as DejaVu), which will pluck HTML out of the Web pages and just shows you the text.

Translation of HTML is just one type of localization. There are also GUI translation, help file translation, string translation within code.

In all these cases, it is very helpful of you can read the actual code (HTML tags, Java or C++ code, etc.). This will give you a better understanding of what the program actually does which will help you understand what the text means.

Regards

MT
Collapse

Montefiore
United States
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Interwoven Subjects Feb 27, 2003

Many thanks to Michael Tovbin!

Michael, I think you\'ve just cracked one of the mysteries. I\'ve been trying to promote the idea of getting Translation Memory software of some kind at work lately, against my own taste and convictions Although I can see how that can be very useful in many industry situations. One has to be in step with the times . You mention DejaVu. What about Trados? Do you believe DejaVu is a better answer? If so, why
... See more
Many thanks to Michael Tovbin!

Michael, I think you\'ve just cracked one of the mysteries. I\'ve been trying to promote the idea of getting Translation Memory software of some kind at work lately, against my own taste and convictions Although I can see how that can be very useful in many industry situations. One has to be in step with the times . You mention DejaVu. What about Trados? Do you believe DejaVu is a better answer? If so, why? Do you use any of them yourself? Why do some clients demand that a translator have Trados? Another great mystery...Funny this should come up, as I was thinking of both getting the sofware AND the localization training today, without linking the two!

I feel that we are getting somewhere here. Thanks, Michael.

Collapse

A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
A good place to learn HTML, Javascript, etc. Feb 27, 2003

I found learning the code really useful. Even if you do buy TM software, source code problems eventually turn up and if you do have some idea about how it all works, it really helps. If you want to learn code such as HTML, Javascript, a good site with free primers is www.htmlgoodies.com.

Ana

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
to translate html... Feb 27, 2003

you need to have some interest in the way websites are made unless you are provided with the content in .doc or .txt format. If you want to work in html files, you somehow need to learn the basic stuff like: how does a link look like, what is an ALT tag, what is a metatag... what should I translate in the code, and what command should not be translated...

To translate websites, I, by experienece ask if I can download the site with HttpTrack or any other download tool, then I
... See more
you need to have some interest in the way websites are made unless you are provided with the content in .doc or .txt format. If you want to work in html files, you somehow need to learn the basic stuff like: how does a link look like, what is an ALT tag, what is a metatag... what should I translate in the code, and what command should not be translated...

To translate websites, I, by experienece ask if I can download the site with HttpTrack or any other download tool, then I make a wordcount with Trados or Wordfast, or Webbudget and quote... then I indulge in the source code or use Tageditor (much easier for long projects). However, there are always some javascript or tidbits of codes that need to be translated manually like the Send and Cancel buttons.

It is becoming difficult nowadays to do this with dynamic websites written in .php or .asp

Mike Bastin http://www.betranslated.com

P.S: Post edited a long time after its initial to a more friendly tone.

[Edited at 2005-04-22 03:54]
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Learning HTML Feb 27, 2003

I agree with Ana that it is worth taking the time to learn a little about HTML. There are lots of books on the subject (the O\'Reilly ones are usually very good, though I don\'t know that particular one) and you will probably find some on-line tutorials if you look around the web. It is not difficult and doesn\'t take long to pick up the basics.

Re translation memory and HTML: OmegaT handles HTML, and is free. You can get a c
... See more
I agree with Ana that it is worth taking the time to learn a little about HTML. There are lots of books on the subject (the O\'Reilly ones are usually very good, though I don\'t know that particular one) and you will probably find some on-line tutorials if you look around the web. It is not difficult and doesn\'t take long to pick up the basics.

Re translation memory and HTML: OmegaT handles HTML, and is free. You can get a copy at:

www.marcprior.de/OmegaT/OmegaT.html

Marc
Collapse

sergey (X)
sergey (X)
Local time: 12:52
Russian to English
+ ...
another resource without going too far Feb 27, 2003

hello!

you could start playing with the html coding while creating your profile using the following recource on this very site:

http://www.proz.com/home/12340/HTML_Tips3.htm

it\'s quite easy and fun.

the text that needs translating on an html site just goes in between the html tags, javascript also goes in between html tags
... See more
hello!

you could start playing with the html coding while creating your profile using the following recource on this very site:

http://www.proz.com/home/12340/HTML_Tips3.htm

it\'s quite easy and fun.

the text that needs translating on an html site just goes in between the html tags, javascript also goes in between html tags like etc and should be left as it is.

i don\'t know the FrontPage, but in Dreamweaver you can actually switch between html and graphics interface and fine tune the way a page looks there, and if you miss a tag Dreamweaver will alert you.

sergey

ps

BTW it\'s good to still see Michael
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:52
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Back to your first question Feb 27, 2003

Quote:

I would like to find out what is the easiest, simplest, cheapest, or any OTHER way to learn working with translation in HTML

I can tell you the way I did. In fact I was suddenly ask by a friend to translate an html Web site. I told him I couldn\'t and his answer was \"I\'ll teach you\". He had Dreamweaver. When the program is installed in the computer, you download the files. You open the program... See more
Quote:

I would like to find out what is the easiest, simplest, cheapest, or any OTHER way to learn working with translation in HTML

I can tell you the way I did. In fact I was suddenly ask by a friend to translate an html Web site. I told him I couldn\'t and his answer was \"I\'ll teach you\". He had Dreamweaver. When the program is installed in the computer, you download the files. You open the program, and then the files. You can choose to see or not to see the codes. You just translate the text. It can\'t be easier.

As soon as I could I bought Dreamweaver 4 and I\'m very satisfied.

I have no idea of programming or writing html files.

Collapse

Michael Tovbin
Michael Tovbin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:52
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
CAT tools Feb 27, 2003

There is a section like that in the left-hand side of your screen. Take a look there. It has comparisons of the major CAT tools. Other people\'s opinions might help you decide.

MT

Montefiore
United States
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, everyone, for your advice Feb 27, 2003

To all the colleagues who responded to my questions - thank you all very much!

Off to explore a new venue

Thanks again, this is invaluable!

Rina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to get training for translating in HTML

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »