What's In a Name?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Some companies do their homework Feb 9, 2008

Your comments are all true to a certain extent, but I have been asked a number of times to evaluate the meaning, sound, connotations, pronunciation etc. of names intended for product to be marketed by English companies in foreign countries.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:01
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Same here. Feb 9, 2008

juvera wrote:

Your comments are all true to a certain extent, but I have been asked a number of times to evaluate the meaning, sound, connotations, pronunciation etc. of names intended for product to be marketed by English companies in foreign countries.

I will also notify the client if the product name might have some highly interesting and unintentional connotations for the target audience.

Recently I was assigned the product name creation for a series of children's board games for the German market. Fun!! And quite a challenge.

In 2006 I published an article about this very topic in a US advertising magazine - I will post this one with the Proz.com articles, I guess.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's In a Name?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »