https://www.proz.com/forum/localization/9839-how_do_i_%5Csave_files_as_unicode_utf_8%5C_.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How do I \'save files as Unicode UTF-8\' ?
Thread poster: Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Mar 30, 2003

A current job posting on ProZ states the follwoing:

\"Because the completed translation has to be placed within a complex database, it needs to be in a format called Unicode UTF-8. . .

Please send a current CV with a cover letter explaining your . . . knowledge and ability to save files as Unicode UTF-8.\"

As I understand it, Unicode is a standard that \"provides a unique number for every character, no matter what the platform, no ma
... See more

\"Because the completed translation has to be placed within a complex database, it needs to be in a format called Unicode UTF-8. . .

Please send a current CV with a cover letter explaining your . . . knowledge and ability to save files as Unicode UTF-8.\"

As I understand it, Unicode is a standard that \"provides a unique number for every character, no matter what the platform, no matter what the program, no matter what the language\" (the Unicode web site).

If that is the case, then what does it mean to \"save files as Unicode UTF-8,\" as this job posting demands? It is not as though Unicode UTF-8 is a file format, or is it? Does this job posting mean what it says, or is this just a shorthand for something much more complicated? If so, can someone decipher it?

More to the point, what tools and what techniques are called for to accomplish such a requirement?

Fuad
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:58
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's quite easy in my PC Mar 30, 2003

I don\'t know if this is the same in all PC\'s. But in mine, when you save a Web page (FILE > SAVE AS), it appears a pop up window prompting you to enter (a) file\'s name, (b) save as (html. etc), and (c) code, there one of the last options, is UNICODE 8.

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

[ This Message was edited by: Clarisa on 2003-03-30 15:01]

Fuad Yahya
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I see the same in my browser. . . Mar 30, 2003

. . . but is this all they mean? It seems simple enough. I had the impression it was much more complicated. It shows my utter ignorance, doesn\'t it?

Would this mean that the files that the job poster intends to supply would have to be html files?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:58
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Saving Word documents as Unicode UTF-8 Mar 30, 2003

I have never been asked to do this, but I have just been experimenting, and I find that I can save a Word document as an html file in Word, exit Word, find the file in Windows Explorer, open it there, and then I can save it with the encoding changed to Unicode UTF-8. Is this what they mean?

#41698 (LSF)
#41698 (LSF)
Malaysia
Local time: 00:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
UTF-8 is 1 byte version of unicode Mar 30, 2003

Standard Unicode is 2-bytes. But some systems cannot handle 2-bytes (including some E-Mail systems). So there exist a few versions of 1-byte Unicode and UTF-8 is one of them. It stands for \'UCS Transformation Format, 8-bit form\'.

Quote:

On 2003-03-30 14:31, FuadMYahya wrote:

\"Because the completed translation has t... See more
Standard Unicode is 2-bytes. But some systems cannot handle 2-bytes (including some E-Mail systems). So there exist a few versions of 1-byte Unicode and UTF-8 is one of them. It stands for \'UCS Transformation Format, 8-bit form\'.

Quote:

On 2003-03-30 14:31, FuadMYahya wrote:

As I understand it, Unicode is a standard that \"provides a unique number for every character, no matter what the platform, no matter what the program, no matter what the language\" (the Unicode web site).

If that is the case, then what does it mean to \"save files as Unicode UTF-8,\" as this job posting demands? It is not as though Unicode UTF-8 is a file format, or is it? Does this job posting mean what it says, or is this just a shorthand for something much more complicated? If so, can someone decipher it?

More to the point, what tools and what techniques are called for to accomplish such a requirement?

Fuad

Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:58
German to English
+ ...
Unicode Mar 30, 2003

As you say, Unicode isn\'t a file format, but a font encoding. In order to answer the question whether you can supply your translation in Unicode UTF-8, you need to know what file format is required. If the translation is to be entered into a database, it is very likely to be needed in plain text/UTF-8, but the customer needs to confirm that first.

Marc

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:58
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't know! Mar 31, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-30 15:04, FuadMYahya wrote:

Would this mean that the files that the job poster intends to supply would have to be html files?

I don\'t know. Sorry!

[ This Message was edited by: Clarisa on 2003-03-31 00:25]

Fuad Yahya
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Mar 31, 2003

. . . for enlightening me about this matter. Based on your input, I have sent e-mail to Mondial (the agency that posted the job ad) asking them for clarification. I hope they reply. I will share with you any information I get. Thank you very much for helping.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I have this option under Word 2000 Mar 31, 2003

Shiong Fong Lew explained it all. Actually it should not be difficult.

In Word 2000 (9.0.28.12) I can Save as..., choose the file format \"coded\" .txt and select the option UTF-8.

Fuad Yahya
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In Word 2000, but not in Word 2002 Mar 31, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-31 01:26, ITS wrote:

In Word 2000 (9.0.28.12) I can Save as..., choose the file format \"coded\" .txt and select the option UTF-8.

I have two computers, one running Word 2000, the other running Word 2002 (Office XP). \"Encoded .txt\" is available in Word 2000, but I could not find it in Word 2002. I wonder if there is an add-on that I can install to give Word 2002 that capab... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-31 01:26, ITS wrote:

I have two computers, one running Word 2000, the other running Word 2002 (Office XP). \"Encoded .txt\" is available in Word 2000, but I could not find it in Word 2002. I wonder if there is an add-on that I can install to give Word 2002 that capability. I would appreciate any information in this regard.

I have also found that Notepad has several Unicode standards, including UTF-8.

The agency has not responded to my query yet, so I still don\'t know what file format we are talking about.

Fuad

[ This Message was edited by: FuadMYahya on 2003-03-31 17:15] ▲ Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The agency has confirmed the information Apr 1, 2003

I want to thank everybody for helping me. The agency has responded to my query and confirmed that the files are indeed in html.

I have also noticed that in Front Page, you can specify the encoding of the page your are authoring in the Properties dialog.

Thanks again to everybody.

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Unicode in Word XP May 6, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-31 17:14, FuadMYahya wrote:

\"Encoded .txt\" is available in Word 2000, but I could not find it in Word 2002. I wonder if there is an add-on that I can install to give Word 2002 that capability. I would appreciate any information in this regard.

Hi Fuad

Sorry to pop in so late, I just saw your post and tested. Here it comes:

... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-31 17:14, FuadMYahya wrote:

\"Encoded .txt\" is available in Word 2000, but I could not find it in Word 2002. I wonder if there is an add-on that I can install to give Word 2002 that capability. I would appreciate any information in this regard.

Hi Fuad

Sorry to pop in so late, I just saw your post and tested. Here it comes:

In Save as dialog select Plain Text (.txt). The File Conversion window opens and in it you can chose the text encoding (on the right-hand side). I have no special add-in in my PC (OS in ENG) and UTF-8 is available

HTH

Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Better Late Than Never May 6, 2003

Thank you, Muja. I tried it, and it worked, just as you said. I appreciate your help.

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Happy to Help :-) May 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-06 19:23, FuadMYahya wrote:

Thank you, Muja. I tried it, and it worked, just as you said. I appreciate your help.

Arkady Vysotsky
Arkady Vysotsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:58
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
If it is not too late May 9, 2003

There is a small but annoying glitch in Word 2000/XP. When converting to UTF-8, it mangles some special symbols, like curly quotes, TM and (C) signs, nonbreakable spaces, n- and m-daches etc., converting them to ASCII characters. In the new Office 11 version, this bug seems to be fixed. For now, I use a small free utility, RWS Rainbow, to convert between encodings.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I \'save files as Unicode UTF-8\' ?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »