Sep 13, 2011

I’ve just set up my website, and each time I log in, I see the following:

To-Do List

55% Complete

- Start a Blog
- Add Keywords and a Site Description
- Check out XXX
- Invite a friend to YYY

(XXX and YYY stand for something else, but I don’t want to violate against the ProZ rules again…)

When I was still working as an executive assistant from 9 to 5 (or often a little later) in Germany, I never wanted to register with Facebook, Linkedin or the like. But now, having my own business, I am wondering:

Should I start a blog for marketing purposes?

Direct link Reply with quote

The Misha
Local time: 07:46
Russian to English
+ ...
Ask yourself: who your readers will be Sep 14, 2011

and why on earth they would want to read it - that is, provided they can find your website in the universe of others.

I have two personal blogs - one where I display my paintings and another where I post pictures and commentary when I travel. Overall, there are probably no more than half a dozen friends and family world over who read it, but I don't really give a rat's batooty if anyone does at all. I just have to let this stuff out.

If you don't have that kind of itch in the tips of your fingers, don't bother "for marketing purposes".

Kaj Genell
Sweden
Local time: 13:46
English to Swedish
+ ...
I think I would try Linkedin if I was you ! Sep 14, 2011

Hi!

I think Linkedin would be perfect for you, since it is mainly for professional people - looking for business opportunities - and it is easy to get contacts in various groups ( there are many ) there. One can be as active or inactive as one likes, and the tone and climate is very polite.

To get contacts is easy and people are well educated. My experience from Facebook is, that one does not get any contacts related to the projects one is working with.

All the best!

Kaj B. Genell / Sweden

Marina Steinbach wrote:

I’ve just set up my website, and each time I log in, I see the following:

To-Do List

55% Complete

- Start a Blog
- Add Keywords and a Site Description
- Check out XXX
- Invite a friend to YYY

(XXX and YYY stand for something else, but I don’t want to violate against the ProZ rules again…)

When I was still working as an executive assistant from 9 to 5 (or often a little later) in Germany, I never wanted to register with Facebook, Linkedin or the like. But now, having my own business, I am wondering:

Should I start a blog for marketing purposes?

GerSi  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 13:46
Member (2010)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
matter of preference Sep 14, 2011

Hi Marina,

I believe a blog is a matter of preference. The first question you should ask yourself is: Do you have time and will and ideas to write a blog?

Besides the part of being interesting etc., a blog for marketing purposes is mostly effective if you update it regularly.

But on the other hand, an old, "dead" blog might cause an opposite effect and dissatisfaction of its visitors.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]
Jorge Rodrigues[Call to this topic]
Mahmoud akbari[Call to this topic]
Jenn Mercer[Call to this topic]
Natalia Volkova[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add a Blog? Your Opinion!

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexbible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: Completely redesigned user interface Live Preview Inline spell checking Inline formatting and more

More info »
Across Personal Edition – Free Full Version for Freelance Translators
Across is an integrated CAT tool, which means that you will find everything you need in one place.

Freelance translators receive a full version of Across Personal Edition, a single-workstation version of Across, for free. You are always working in one and the same environment, regardless of whether you would like to create a new project, translate a do

More info »