Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nope Nov 24, 2011

Melisa Fernández Rosso wrote:
Is there a way to stop this web sites from providing this outrageous service that affect us as professionals?

Nope. These sites are mere directories. In the same way as you can't stop your cheap competitors from advertising in the same yellow pages as yourself, or in the same way that quality car sales companies can't stop fly-by-night car salesmen from advertising in car buying directories, so too you can't stop undercutting translators from getting jobs via such portals.

Is there a way to report them?

To whom?

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:57
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
McJob Nov 24, 2011

You can consider these sites as a sort of McDonalds of the industry (no aspersion on the company).

You are not going to get a job at McDonalds if you want to become a master chef. Neither are you going to go to McDonalds to taste the art of a master chef.

However, there's a McJob available there at minimum wage for certain people and of those some go on to get management training which leads to a career, usually elsewhere. Others go on to some other field. They serv
... See more
You can consider these sites as a sort of McDonalds of the industry (no aspersion on the company).

You are not going to get a job at McDonalds if you want to become a master chef. Neither are you going to go to McDonalds to taste the art of a master chef.

However, there's a McJob available there at minimum wage for certain people and of those some go on to get management training which leads to a career, usually elsewhere. Others go on to some other field. They serve a purpose and while many may deride them, their success and number of employees has to mean something.

The same probably applies to sites like freelancer.com.

[Edited at 2011-11-24 21:17 GMT]
Collapse

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
McJobs Nov 25, 2011

John Fossey wrote:
You can consider these sites as a sort of McDonalds of the industry.[Edited at 2011-11-24 21:17 GMT]

Very good point! It's sad, though, to see queues in McDos here, in Ukraine, and it is equally sad to see +100 entries from freelancers fighting for a 0.01$ worth of a job on the web-sites like freelancer.com...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:57
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Valid point Nov 25, 2011

In Argentina, a translation agency that exploited translators was sanctioned by the Translator's Association and we all found this penalty correctly applied.

I imagine this was a company that contracted people to work for 0.01 (whatevers) and then sold their work for 1.0; or maybe they promised the moon then refused to hand it over. Those are dishonest, morally unjust and maybe illegal practices. I am glad they were sanctioned.

The websites you were talking about here are nothung but market places, places where translators can meet clients who need translations (private persons, agencies and other companies). The site does not set the terms or become involved in negotiations.

Sheila

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Penalties? Nov 25, 2011

In Argentina, a translation agency that exploited translators was sanctioned by the Translator's Association and we all found this penalty correctly applied.

I would like to know exactly what that "exploitation" was and I don't know in Argentina but at least in Spain none of the translation associations have any powers to apply penalties, at most they can expel you from the association, the same is the case with ATA of which I am also a member and the most they can do is expel you. So what penalty did they receive?

Plus if there had been any real "exploitation" I would have imagined this was a matter for the courts of law and not a translator's association.

Do you really think that there are people out there who agree with being humillated?

No I don't think anyone likes to be humiliated and perhaps that's the problem here, you feel humiliated and want to lash out at someone, you made a mistake and now people have brought that mistake to your attention and you feel people took advantage of you, this is all natural and understandable.

The problem is you are then trying to report these people for doing something which is not illegal, they did not force you to register with them, they did not force you to accept their prices, they were not the only option you had to find work, they did not coerce you in any way, etc, etc, so I fail to see how anyone can claim to be exploited.

chris durban
chris durban
French to English
Focus + which sanctions? Nov 25, 2011

@Melisa -- above all, spending time fussing about lowballers and the networks they hang around is that much less time to invest in seeking out more attractive clients, no?

I'm intrigued by your comments on "sanctions" imposed by a translator association in Argentina. Which association was that, and what were the sanctions? Here in Europe it is very unusual for a professional association to get involved in pricing disp
... See more
@Melisa -- above all, spending time fussing about lowballers and the networks they hang around is that much less time to invest in seeking out more attractive clients, no?

I'm intrigued by your comments on "sanctions" imposed by a translator association in Argentina. Which association was that, and what were the sanctions? Here in Europe it is very unusual for a professional association to get involved in pricing disputes per se. Fraud yes, but pricing no.

Chris
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It's a free market Nov 25, 2011

Shutting down that site won't make a difference. Greedy outsourcers will find you elsewhere, through your web site if you have one, or even here at Proz, and will contact you directly offering such despicably low-paid jobs.

All you have to do is know how much the service you offer is worth in the international market, and sell it!

Romeo Mlinar
Romeo Mlinar
Portugal
Local time: 21:57
English to Serbian
+ ...
Free market Nov 27, 2011

It is a free market out there. You have to know how to sell your services, and shutting down those who are more "favourable" choice is not a solution.

I guess the answer has many issues. To start: a language pair. Then, the overall "self-esteem" of the translators in that language pair.

Also, "outsourcing", the thingy that (greatly) enables the profession has its... hmmm.. downsides.

I understand the topic starter, but unfortunately, I have not found the an
... See more
It is a free market out there. You have to know how to sell your services, and shutting down those who are more "favourable" choice is not a solution.

I guess the answer has many issues. To start: a language pair. Then, the overall "self-esteem" of the translators in that language pair.

Also, "outsourcing", the thingy that (greatly) enables the profession has its... hmmm.. downsides.

I understand the topic starter, but unfortunately, I have not found the answer.

I have rejected several agencies lately because of their rates, payment terms or something third ("post-editing" "sold" as proofreading, anyone?).
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can we monitor low rates?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »