Carolyn Yohn
Carolyn Yohn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:09
French to English
+ ...
Apr 18, 2012

Hi, all!

I'm working on my marketing plan, and I'd love to establish some direct clients who are Hungarian and have a need for English translations. Sadly, it's been a while since I've lived in Hungary--- where do Hungarian business people hang out online? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Carolyn

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

membership, active participation, increased visibility Apr 19, 2012

Carolyn Yohn wrote:

where do Hungarian business people hang out online?

Hi Carolyn,

My personal experience is that membership in the relevant associations and online communities can be very beneficial. I see that you are already a member here and of the NCATA. (So am I.) That's a good start. ProZ has a searchable directory and a job board. I also recommend joining the American Translators Association (ATA) so you get listed in their printed and online directory. I also joined the International Association of Professional Translators & Interpreters (IAPTI). They send out job announcements from time to time.

I do not actively go after clients; all of my clients find me through ATA, ProZ and NCATA. I think active participation, in forum discussions and KudoZ term help, is the key to increased visibility. Networking is another powerful tool; although serious clients tend to stay out of discussions, it is obvious from the inquiries I receive through the site that potential clients do follow posts, questions and answers, and our profile pages. Fellow members also contact me in private on a regular basis, asking for advice or offering me jobs. I, too, contact my colleagues on occasion when I am unable to accept a job but would rather recommend someone else than just simply turn down the offer. Lastly, there are tremendous resources available to us here on ProZ, including tips on how to improve our profile (see: profile > edit profile).

I hope this helps!

Carolyn Yohn
Carolyn Yohn  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 19, 2012

Thank you, Ildiko!

I'll keep trying your suggestions. Maybe it's just American clients who bite at direct marketing; I had heard that was a good way to expand your business prospects. For now I guess I'll limit it to the culture I heard it from

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where are Hungarian clients?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »