Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Blogging: how often do you write on your blog?
Thread poster: Sara Colombo
Sara Colombo
Sara Colombo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree :) Oct 19, 2012

Anne Diamantidis wrote:

Saretta9 wrote:

...if you have one!

I would like to know if you use your blog, how and how often?
I have been told I should write on it at least two-three times a week, if not daily. Daily??
Do you really think I should?
I personally find it strange to write on it daily, but maybe more established bloggers have a different opinion.

I am a freelance and the blog presents advices and ideas for all those willing to become translators, it is quite a 'new' project and I am considering about writing more often than once a week.

What do you think?
Thanks!

Hi Saretta,

Well, ideally yes, but there's no written rule - it is YOUR blog, therefore you do want you want with it. However, golden rule is to be consistent - if you decide you'll update it once a month at the end of the month, you should stick to it religiously because your followers will expect it from you.
Or you can decide to update it twice a month (once every two weeks), for example. Or if you have the time to commit to once a week or twice a week... - it's up to you. It's a time commitment, so this is really your decision.

Just remember that gives a wrong impression is having a blog that's been dead for months (no new posts for 9 months for example).

I hope that helps
Anne

...it is definitely reassuring!
Thanks!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:57
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Thank you ... Oct 19, 2012

@ James, Anne and Hans,
Many thanks for the compliments. My ears have been burning all morning!

Hans: I get most images free from Flickr, filtering in the Advanced Search for "Only search within Creative Commons-licensed content" and then adding an "Image attribution" to the blog article.
I discovered Fotolia.com the other day and used it for the image in my most recent post.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:57
English to Indonesian
+ ...
How much time? Oct 19, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
my most recent post.

Thank you for the tip, it puzzled me where you got the pics…

A related question: The topic is how often do you post on your blog, but I wonder how much time one spends on writing/composing a single entry. I usually need a couple of hours for an entry of 3-400 words, but I suppose you - Emma - will spend far more. The lay-out is a one time affair, but making each post perfect - including finding a suitable image - must take more time. True?

Cheers,

Hans

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 08:57
Russian to English
+ ...
A little humility, maybe? Oct 19, 2012

Not to rain on your parade here, folks, but how many translation-related blogs do you think we need out there? In all fairness, what does each of you translator-turned-bloggers know that the rest of us don't, or at least want to know? Who is going to read all that?

Second, assuming you do have this unique expertise that may be of value to the rest of us, why give it away for free? It's like, oh, I don't know, Mr. Krabbs giving away the secret formula out of the pure goodness of his
... See more
Not to rain on your parade here, folks, but how many translation-related blogs do you think we need out there? In all fairness, what does each of you translator-turned-bloggers know that the rest of us don't, or at least want to know? Who is going to read all that?

Second, assuming you do have this unique expertise that may be of value to the rest of us, why give it away for free? It's like, oh, I don't know, Mr. Krabbs giving away the secret formula out of the pure goodness of his crabby heart. Of course that could make some sense if you intended to make your blog a frequently visited hot spot and a potential source of income. However, considering the proposed topic that's going to be a very long shot and chances are you can put all this effort to a better use. After all, there is not going to be any society gossip there, right?

Now, if, as some of you say, the primary purpose of this exercise it to learn a valuable skill, the question you've asked becomes moot: you simply do it as often as you feel like it and can afford the time.

Personally, I have two blogs, neither of them having anything to do with translation. I post my paintings on one of them and write a kind of a travelogue on the other whenever I travel to a place worth mentioning. Both of them are out there, but I don't publicize or promote them in any way. They are intended for a limited number of people whose opinions I value and who seem to enjoy an occasional rambling from me whenever I think I have something to say. The stuff may sit there unread and unvisited for months. If you ask me, that's perfectly fine too.

[Edited at 2012-10-19 13:36 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Some answers to The Misha Oct 19, 2012

The Misha wrote:

Great point, and thanks for bursting the over-inflated bubble! Karen Tkaczyk (who doesn't blog) wrote a guest post on Corinne McKay's well-known blog called The case against blogging. She addressed many of these issues and many bloggers answered in the comments section. It was an interesting discussion.

Second, assuming you do have this unique expertise that may be of value to the rest of us, why give it away for free?

I don't think it's unique expertise; there are a lot of experienced translators around who have the same or much more expertise than me. However, it is knowledge that I've built up over the years that I'm happy to share with people who are starting out in the same field as me.
To me it wouldn’t make sense to put a price on it. The information I provide won’t turn a keen bilingual speaker into an experienced medical translator. There’s much more to it than that.

Now, if, as some of you say, the primary purpose of this exercise it to learn a valuable skill, the question you've asked becomes moot: you simply do it as often as you feel like it and can afford the time.

Yes, I agree with you on this one. But if it's not the sole purpose, then you may be wise to follow the advice offered above about blogging regularly.

Personally, I have two blogs, neither of them having anything to do with translation. I post my paintings on one of them and write a kind of a travelogue on the other whenever I travel to a place worth mentioning. … If you ask me, that's perfectly fine too.

Yes, that’s perfectly fine too. We agree on two things now! Anne also has a blog on photography that she doesn’t mention much around here; maybe she has similar reasons as you for keeping it up (I really like it, by the way!).

the primary purpose of this exercise

Going back to this point for a minute, one of the main reasons I started a blog is that I think it is a good showcase for what I do. So when a new client emails me for the first time (as one did this morning in fact) and says “We do a lot of work with medicinal product information and EMA templates. Have you got any experience in that field?” I don’t just answer “Yes”, I say “Yes. I’ve translated a lot of these documents. You may be interested to read a blog article I wrote about EMA templates.” By linking in this way to my blog, I can prove a potential client that I do know what I’m talking about. So, I suppose for me, a blog makes me more credible out here in this virtual world.

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
How much time? Oct 19, 2012

Meta Arkadia wrote:

The topic is how often do you post on your blog, but I wonder how much time one spends on writing/composing a single entry. I usually need a couple of hours for an entry of 3-400 words, but I suppose you - Emma - will spend far more.

Yes, I take more than a couple of hours on my posts. I guess we all like spending our time different ways. Some people spend over 20 minutes just replying to an interesting thread in ProZ.

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
500% with Emma Oct 19, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

The Misha wrote:

Great point, and thanks for bursting the over-inflated bubble! Karen Tkaczyk (who doesn't blog) wrote a guest post on Corinne McKay's well-known blog called The case against blogging. She addressed many of these issues and many bloggers answered in the comments section. It was an interesting discussion.

Second, assuming you do have this unique expertise that may be of value to the rest of us, why give it away for free?

I don't think it's unique expertise; there are a lot of experienced translators around who have the same or much more expertise than me. However, it is knowledge that I've built up over the years that I'm happy to share with people who are starting out in the same field as me.
To me it wouldn’t make sense to put a price on it. The information I provide won’t turn a keen bilingual speaker into an experienced medical translator. There’s much more to it than that.

Yes, I agree with you on this one. But if it's not the sole purpose, then you may be wise to follow the advice offered above about blogging regularly.

Personally, I have two blogs, neither of them having anything to do with translation. I post my paintings on one of them and write a kind of a travelogue on the other whenever I travel to a place worth mentioning. … If you ask me, that's perfectly fine too.

Yes, that’s perfectly fine too. We agree on two things now! Anne also has a blog on photography that she doesn’t mention much around here; maybe she has similar reasons as you for keeping it up (I really like it, by the way!).

the primary purpose of this exercise

Going back to this point for a minute, one of the main reasons I started a blog is that I think it is a good showcase for what I do. So when a new client emails me for the first time (as one did this morning in fact) and says “We do a lot of work with medicinal product information and EMA templates. Have you got any experience in that field?” I don’t just answer “Yes”, I say “Yes. I’ve translated a lot of these documents. You may be interested to read a blog article I wrote about EMA templates.” By linking in this way to my blog, I can prove a potential client that I do know what I’m talking about. So, I suppose for me, a blog makes me more credible out here in this virtual world.

Thanks Emma, I would never have expressed it any better, I'm 500% with you.

Thanks also for the nice words about my photography blog! And yes, I rarely mention it in a business context because it's not related to translation, it's a hobby and it's personal (vs. professional). Actually the blog is not linked to me in a Google Search - I'm blogging there under a pseudonym, it was a strategical decision, I wanted to maintain a clear separation between job and private life The only public link between my blog and my name is on my LinkedIn profile I think (on Facebook too but it's not public) - that's probably where you found it, right?

Anyway, as you say:
Emma Goldsmith wrote:
The information I provide won’t turn a keen bilingual speaker into an experienced medical translator. There’s much more to it than that.

Exactly. Same goes for the info I provide on Internet marketing on our company blog - it took me a lot of time, money and energy to A. get trained on these topics and B. gain a knowledge by observing, trying, making mistakes, experimenting. The advice I give on the blog is the same quantity of info I give in webinars or conferences, which is not enough to make anyone an expert (starting with me) but merely aims to give readers some general ideas and food for thought.

[Edited at 2012-10-19 14:52 GMT]

Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:57
Chinese to French
+ ...
No need to pressure yourself Oct 19, 2012

I've been blogging for now more than two years, with a frequency that ranges between one post a day to one a month, depending solely on my availability and my motivation.
My blog is not about translation itself, but actual translations of stuff from the internet (news mostly) that I find interesting and I like to share. It helped me a lot and it is partly because of it that I decided to try going pro.
I can't say if it helps my career, but it did start it for sure.

I d
... See more
I've been blogging for now more than two years, with a frequency that ranges between one post a day to one a month, depending solely on my availability and my motivation.
My blog is not about translation itself, but actual translations of stuff from the internet (news mostly) that I find interesting and I like to share. It helped me a lot and it is partly because of it that I decided to try going pro.
I can't say if it helps my career, but it did start it for sure.

I don't think there is any rule, nor that there should be, about how often you should post. But I have become certain that popularity and interest do not come from regularity, but from quality of what's delivered. More than anywhere else, a rushed job sure feels like one (and I've got my share). No need to set up deadlines if it's to get scamp job.

As for myself, I don't think of it either as an efficient marketing tool, but I've never really tried to make it one for some reason.
Collapse

Sara Colombo
Sara Colombo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Marketing or not marketing..this is the question! Oct 19, 2012

My blog is a strange marketing tool. I like writing and decided to open a 'professional blog' because I wanted to have a 'personal research space', which clearly needs to be updated and developed. It goes without saying that as a subjective resource it is by no means completely objective and it does not always reflect marketing or business trends. It is my 'inner translator voice' talking to a certain type of ideal reader.

However I also think that it is a valid marketing tool, may
... See more
My blog is a strange marketing tool. I like writing and decided to open a 'professional blog' because I wanted to have a 'personal research space', which clearly needs to be updated and developed. It goes without saying that as a subjective resource it is by no means completely objective and it does not always reflect marketing or business trends. It is my 'inner translator voice' talking to a certain type of ideal reader.

However I also think that it is a valid marketing tool, maybe not a conventional or very effective, but it helps my readers to know me and understand the nature of what I do/like etc.
If you link your blog to Twitter, Facebook etc there is always the chance for it to be read by some other translator/client etc.

I think a blog allows people to know who you are, especially if your online space is varied and you can link different resources = say the same thing using different media (i.e. short sentences, images, more or less scientific chats, etc.) or in different ways.
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:57
The insights of other translators Oct 19, 2012

I enjoy the insights gained by other translators, and read quite a few translation blogs for fun and relaxation. I do not think there are too many translation blogs. We all have something to contribute.

Some people are very successful at using their translation blog as a marketing tool. If anyone ever asked me to translate into a language I do not know (it does happen!), then it is these bloggers who I would approach first.

I started my blog to learn how to write short
... See more
I enjoy the insights gained by other translators, and read quite a few translation blogs for fun and relaxation. I do not think there are too many translation blogs. We all have something to contribute.

Some people are very successful at using their translation blog as a marketing tool. If anyone ever asked me to translate into a language I do not know (it does happen!), then it is these bloggers who I would approach first.

I started my blog to learn how to write short sentences, and as a creative outlet about once a week. It is not a translation blog, but sometimes I do write translation-related articles. When that happens, it is always gratifying to see other translators reading these articles - and getting one or two +1s on Google+.

Sometimes, I am just being silly (and serious at the same time), as with yesterday's post.

I have been posting almost every day for the last couple of months, but may go back to once a week soon.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I can't believe anyone is still blogging Oct 21, 2012

Most blogs are never up to date and in my experience those who tried starting one were never able to keep adding to it and have given up. And I've given up following anyone's blog. Facebook seems to be going the same way.

[Edited at 2012-10-21 09:04 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
But is it really a blog? Oct 21, 2012

Anne Diamantidis wrote:
I know a lot of colleagues out there who update their blogs twice a month maximum, and these blogs are among the most popular in the industry, with a huge followers base and half of the industry on Twitter jumping of joy for the new articles.

But if you update it only twice a month, then it's not really a blog (even if you use "blog" software to publish it). Or... what is your definition of a blog?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Marketing? Oct 21, 2012

Saretta9 wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Saretta9 wrote:
I am a freelance and the blog presents advices and ideas for all those willing to become translators, it is quite a 'new' project and I am considering about writing more often than once a week.

Well, if you can depersonalise the blog and get two or three more translators to help you out with writing stuff, you can share the workload, and produce more content (and get more visitors) for less effort.

Sharing is a nice idea, do you think it would also work as a marketing tool?

I don't understand how sharing would impact marketing. I thought you wanted to write a blog to provide ideas for all those willing to become translators. Were you hoping to use your blog for marketing purposes?

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:57
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Once a week Oct 21, 2012

To answer the original question:

I've just checked: 390 posts since February 2005, so about once a week for About Translation - I'm not sticking to a regular schedule, but when I can I try to post about four times a month. There have been months with considerably more posts, and months with fewer, or none at all (this year, for instance, I haven't posted as often).

BTW, i
... See more
To answer the original question:

I've just checked: 390 posts since February 2005, so about once a week for About Translation - I'm not sticking to a regular schedule, but when I can I try to post about four times a month. There have been months with considerably more posts, and months with fewer, or none at all (this year, for instance, I haven't posted as often).

BTW, if you are interested, you can download my presentation Blogging 101, a presentation on blogging for transators Corinne McKay and I gave last year at the 52nd ATA conference.

[Edited at 2012-10-21 15:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-10-21 15:13 GMT]
Collapse

Marta Stelmaszak (X)
Marta Stelmaszak (X)  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Any regularity would do Oct 30, 2012

In my experience, writing posts regularly is the key. I don't think that the frequency matters, as everything's changing so fast anyway. If one of my posts is picked up on Twitter or Facebook, it brings me traffic. If that's the case, I'd be looking at single posts and their ability to attract readers, rather than the blog as a whole.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blogging: how often do you write on your blog?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »